Kinlay Hostel Galway
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I was there that day with taterwho and what Frank is saying is an inaccurate account from someone who was not there (my mate sent the review to me)... and by the way you can tell how managemnet was with comments like that from the General Manager! What was left out was it was our tour guide that told us to try but they may not give it to us. So two volunteered to go up. I was not one of them thankfully. The two that went up simply asked and they were told no and they only asked Oh, Why not? And the assistant manager started going off. It was shattering to hear that. Then when it was over the two on our tour made a joke and had everyone at the desk laughing. Our tour guide then stated the assistant manager made stuff up. They were never told because we were in a group it was simply the assistant manager getting in a fit. Had she just nicely replied "Oh I'm sorry because you're in a group, we can't give them to you." No problem would have resulted I'm confident. Quite odd considering service industry should be friendly. Our tour guide also then went back while I was standing there and said Oh I already told them not to ask. I reckon she was playing both sides. It was not proper. There are numerous cameras. You could watch them and see the truth Frank?

But the hostel is lovely. Nice clean and central to Galway. The toilet being separate in the shower would have been better. I was going to book in again as I'm going back to Ireland, but not after the General Manager's response.

2  Thank travelasmuchascan

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I like to be honest, so I have to say this hostel is extremely clean and well maintained. They have a very lovely kitchen as well. HOWEVER, the staff especially the assistant manager and one other female who worked at reception were so horrible that I would never recommend anyone go back there!! They snapped at a friend of mine and me for asking about a promotion they had printed out on their blackboard saying "you aren't entitled to it for reasons I'm not going to discuss." Her tirade went on for a few minutes (when all we did was ask for a voucher for a free drink at a restaurant as was written on THEIR own board for guests). Even after the initial incident, they both still treated us like crap. I went to offer the receptionist some left over food we had and when I went up to her and Say "hi how are you doing?" she said, and I quote, "what do you want?" I was stunned for a second and I said we have leftovers if you want some, then she changed her tune, but was still rude the following morning on check out and practically threw the key deposit back at my friend. UNACCEPTABLE!!

7  Thank taterwho
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

I wish to say that I find your review unfair, untrue, and upsetting for my team and I.

The reception staff member who you refer to as being rude, is in fact an outstanding employee and top class at her job. Review after review show comments on how fantastic & helpful all of our staff are. I would be the first person to hold my hands up and apologise if we were in any way at fault - but to be fair to my team, I cannot do this here.

The lady in question explained to you that this offer did not apply to large tour group bookings organised by an external company. You did not like this answer, so you again insisted you get the offer. My Assistant Manager then had to step in and advise you again that the company who issue the vouchers do not accept them with large tour group bookings. All we do is hand out these vouchers to help our guests and have nothing to gain or loose ourselves, we are only offering advice. Again you did not accept this, so the tour group leader explained this to you for a third time - which you still did not accept. I feel sorry for the other people on your tour who had to listen to you complain about everything as you travelled around Ireland.

For everyone else reading this.... Please ask us at reception upon check-in for advice on places to eat, drink, see live Irish music, and any other advice you need! We are always delighted to help. And of course please ask for your free drink voucher which we would be delighted to give you!!!!(Provided of course you are not part of a large tour group who have preorganised other offers).

Frank O'Connell

Reviewed 24 June 2012

This was an awesome place to stay if you are backpacking. The staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast and wifi are included, and the location is very central. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed here a few weekends ago and was delighted with my stay. The hostel has recently been renovated to a high standard. There are excellent amenities on site and the hostel is precisely 10 yards from Eyre Sq so everything is on your doorstep. The rooms are lovely, fresh and clean. It's great value and the staff are extremely pleasant. It books up quickly as i found out so book well in advance. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I loved my stay at Kinlay Hostel. It's very conveniently located, next to the squares and the shops and the pubs. The common rooms are spacious, inviting and relaxed. The Internet works perfectly well and is free of charge!

My only disappointment was when I realized that private rooms didn't mean ensuite - I had expected otherwise. But nonetheless the rooms were comfortable, spotless and safe.

The kitchen is vast with tons of utensils and dishes, and buzzed with activity at dinner time. And the best part? You don't even have to make the dishes at breakfast!

I would highly recommend the Kinlay House to anyone looking for a cheap yet agreeable stay in Galway.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We consciously chose to stay in hostels during our trip to Ireland in order to save money so we could indulge in more important things: food, sights.... And yes, when you go to a hostel rather than other kind of private accommodations, you half expect that your nights won't be as comfy as you wish. This being said, you don't expect that the hostel would be cheap on insulation so that everything that is happening outside your dorm room seems to be happening inside as well. Granted, it is hard to blame a hostel for guests that lack education, but it would have been to know that the owners would have think ahead.

This being said, the hostel is very clean, showers are warm when you need it (and not just between 6h00 and 6h30am), staff is very helpful and give you a sense that this place is organized and know what they're doing. Wifi is excellent and available in your room, not just in the common area. They also provide computers, free of charge, to their guests. Breakfast, toasts and cereals, is complimentary. The location is ideal on Eyre Square.

Ultimately a good choice but be warned that if will be noisy if you find yourself among a crowd of uneducated people.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Kinlay House Galway is a minutes walk from Eyre Square in the centre of Galway. It is walking distance from anywhere you want to go in Galway and the staff were all friendly, helpful and polite. The rooms, showers (and linen!) are cleaner, more comfortable and spacious than the average hostel. The shared areas are also clean. There is a lobby with a lot of seating to relax in and a few computer terminals with free internet access (although they were occupied every time I tried to use them). The kitchen is also clean and has all the equipment you need for self-catering. The breakfast provided is cereal, toast, jam, juice and coffee and is included in the price. I would book in here again although I would book online and in advance to get even better value.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo