“A very good hotel in a great spot”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Navan
“A very good hotel in a great spot”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you are looking for a very good clean hotel in Galway this the one. Great value, excellent staff and the rooms are very clean. The bathroom looked freshly tiled and was spotless. This hotel is just off Eyre Square which makes it ideal for all the city has to offer. I parked in Hynes Yard car park just 5 mins. walk away and only 9 euro per day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joscarroll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The location of the hotel is great as it is less than a ten minute walk to the latin quarter and about a half an hour walk to Salthill. The receptionist was friendly and knowledgable so no complaints there either. We stayed on a monday night and there was no noise pollution to speak of so we slept soundly. The bed was very comfy too!

However, I stayed in The Victoria in 2012 and the hotel was in much better condition back then. This time we stayed in a double room on the 3rd floor (316 I think?) and the bedroom carpet had multiple stains and the walls were visibly dirty so the room seemed like it needed a little bit of a revamp. The bathroom, towels and linen were spotlessly clean so it seems like the hotel could just do with a little bit of refurbishment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My small group stayed at the Victoria for 3 nights. The location was great, the front desk people were very kind and helpful, but that's all the good that I can say. It was annoying to have to pay cash for food, drink and laundry service and not be able to charge it to our rooms. Biggest annoyance of all was a very loud and long private party on a Friday night. The BOOM BOOM BOOM of the music pounded in all of our rooms until 2:30am. Worse yet was when party people went outside for loud talk and cigarettes. The roar of the crowd also lasted until 2:30am. I phoned the front desk at 12:30am, kindly asking if they could ask the outdoor people either to lower their voices or come indoors. His answer was a flat no. Not even the popular Irish word "sorry" was used. This says to me that the hotel values one night parties more than it does their residents. I will not return.

Room Tip: If you do stay at the Victoria, be sure to pick a night when they are not hosting a private party.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank kvportlandoregon

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is of an average standard. Like some other comments posted, it is a very dated hotel which is in dire need of an upgrade.

We (my boyfriend and I) paid €248 for 2 nights B&B, it wasn't a bank holiday weekend either. The parking is located down by the docks and when you are staying in the hotel, you get the pleasure of paying a further €14.00 to park there.

When booking in, we were greeted by a frosty receptionist who asked for payment straight away. You get a piece of timber with a small key on it, which was placed on the counter with a thud.
We were also not advised that there would be party going on in the hotel (both Fri & Sat) until 2.30am and there would be some noise pollution..

As rooms go, it was very basic. It had a television which you would need a sniffer dog to find.
After you find the tv, you can have the pleasure of looking for the toilet paper holder, which is down by your feet.
I discovered behind the locker by the bed, the wall paper was tearing away from the wall.
The one and only thing I liked about the room was that it was clean.

In the breakfast room, we were greeted by a very friendly waiter. The selection of food available wasn't the best, especially with the price being paid for the privilege.

We didn't use the hotel bar as it was just as convenient to go into the city for the nightlife.

As the hotel breakaway was booked by one of our friends, I would not be returning to this hotel nor recommending it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dublin1983
Masserano, Italy
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I enjoyed a couple of night stay at Victoria Hotel in Galway.
The first thing to state is without a doubt its grat location, in fact it's right in the heart of the city.
The style of the hotel is probably a bit old fashioned, but the rooms are comfortable and clean.
The full Irish breakfast they provide is very good and accompained by other continental things such as jam, butter or brioches.
Galway is the perfect base for many excursions in the West side of Ireland and this hotel is definetely a very good choice!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends on a girls night out in Galway. Was a last minute decision to travel to Galway on a Bank Holiday Sunday night so we booked first place we could find.

The hotel is very dated and the rooms very basic and in serious need of an update. However they were clean and spacious.

The staff were not the friendliest either and seemed like they did not want to be there.

Considering we were only looking for a place to get ready and sleep that was within walking distance of the nightlife it was fine as the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from Eyre Square.

However I can't say I would return anytime soon to this hotel as price wise it is not any cheaper than alot of the other much nicer hotels nearby.

Well worth paying a bit extra for a nice modern hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jojo8814
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed in this old fashioned, but comfortable hotel for 6 nights. Breakfast was very good, staff is kind, but there was one funny thing about my room - it was positioned almost at the bus station! Once I got to the room for the first time I started looking around and when I moved thick curtains from the window to check the view, I came almost face to face with a bus driver, sitting at the driving wheel. Then I quickly put back the curtains and went to the other window and there was another bus and another driver there too!
Since I was out of room from morning till evening, I did not perceive this as a problem.
I liked Galway and I was happy to be there and I would definitely stay at Victoria Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business