“decent enough.”

Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Galway
meath
“decent enough.”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

had a great weekend in galway with gang of friends staying at this hotel. the rooms are basic but clean, good breakfast served by friendly staff, good pint of guinness in the spacious bar.
the hotel couldn't be better located, its right beside train/bus station. eyre square, bars restaurants shops outside hotel door,what more could you ask for,its a decent enough
hotel place to stay for that fun weekend in galway.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the station side.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank meathone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked dinner here recently having purchased a voucher from LivingSocial deals. On arrival at the restaurant we were offered at table just inside the open doors of the room - we asked whether there was anywhere else available for us to sit (there was only one other couple dining in the room) but Dan the duty manager advised that there was no other table made up and we would have to sit there. Bad start. Our voucher included 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts with 2 glasses of wine. We asked the waitress whether we could please substitute one of the glasses of wine for a pint for my non-wine drinking husband and she went off to ask whether she could do this. Dan, (again) deemed that this could not be permitted. They did offer us a soft drink in substitution. We had already purchased a drink at the bar when we arrived for dinner, and were going off somewhere else afterwards, so I did not want 2 glasses of wine myself, so had one and did not order another. The meal was very nice, large starters and delicious mains. The waitress was attentive and helpful. The restaurant did lack atmosphere as the other couple left shortly after we arrived so we dined in an empty room. We were disappointed with the lack of co-operation from the duty manager to make this a memorable experience for us. Surely the idea of an establishment like the Eyre Square Hotel taking a big hit on the cost of a meal for two by using heavily discounted coupons is to attract new custom to somewhere one might not traditionally think of going for a meal? Whereas we loved our meal, and the hotel bar might have persuaded us to go back for a drink and a meal as it has a lovely ambience, the lack of respect or care on the part of the management left us with a sour taste in our mouth. We live in Galway and eat out about 3 times a week and are always looking to expand our culinary horizons and always looking for somewhere in town to take our friends and visiting relatives. Unfortunately, that won't be the Eyre Square Hotel - which is a shame really, considering that the food was excellent. We are marking the service as poor, not because of the waitress, who did all she could, but because of the management. Anywhere that makes you apprehensive before the meal even starts is not the kind of place I want to be.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GalwayGirlAtHome
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Me and a group of my friends booked our room over the phone and asked for 3 tripple rooms but they told us the only had double and when we arrived we were all put in tripple rooms.. im guessing this was an excuse to get more money out of us.

There was also no bibles in any of mine or my friends rooms.

Great location we could walk anywhere.

I would stay here again, ill just know the situation with the room the next time.

Also if your looking for a quiet nights sleep this hotel's location is perfect for the weekend drinking session, so it wouldnt be a good idea to stay here on a friday/saturday night if you need your sleep. :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel is very convenient for experiencing, on foot, the shopping, dining and evening events in Galway. It is also convenient for public transport, being right beside the bus and train stations. Parking is in a public carpark nearby and there is a special rate for guests. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms clean, the breakfast is good and seemed to be cooked to order. There is some noise from the transportation stations for those in rooms at the back and noise from the street for those at the front. However, if the fresh air of Connemara or Clare has done its job, you should have little problem getting a good nights sleep here and will begin your next day well fortified.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kmdub
Dublin
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Myself and two family members stayed in this hotel a while back, and we were hugely disappointed by it.
Upon arrival, the receptionist seemed quite pleasant to deal with and quickly gave us a key to our room. We walked in to realise we had been given the room directly beside the bus station. As a very loud intercom announced the arrival of the Dublin bus, I went to close the window before realising that it was already closed-the windows were just ridiculously thin. Before long, the smell of smoke and petrol from the buses was sweeping through the room, and as the room looked nothing like the ones advertised on the website anyway, we decided to call reception and complain. The receptionist tried to give us some long story about the bus station, but eventually just gave us another room.
The second room, while slightly more modern looking than the first, still wasn't great. There was a huge triangular burn on the carpet where someone must have left an iron. Beside one of the beds was a very large stain on the floor, which (excuse my bluntness) could only have been where someone had gotten sick, but it had been rubbed into the carpet instead of being cleaned properly. We called reception to complain once more, and were told someone would be up to us shortly.
After 5 minutes or so, a very large polish woman knocked on the door and almost let herself into our room-she was the cleaner and seemed personally offended that we didn't appreciate her work. She cornered me and knew how intimidating she seemed as she demanded to know what my problem was. I was shocked that any member of staff would treat a customer in such a way. She rubbished all my complaints about the rooms and said I was just being fussy. She even "told me off" for washing my hands in the sink when I first arrived and demanded an explanation as to why I had done so. I felt like I was back at school again! After several requests to speak to the manager, she eventually stormed out to get him.
To be fair, the manager was extremely apologetic and patient when he arrived, apologising for the hotel and the cleaner's behaviour. I turned down his request to be moved to a third room, as I just wanted to get out of the place. He refunded my money and apologised several times more before I left.

My advice? The hotel has a great location, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 86Whatsername

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

galway
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I ate in This restaurant and I was very impressed with the food and service. The staff were very friendly and lovely to us. The food was beautiful from starters to deserts. I could not find any fault at all abs there was plenty of food.
Would definitely recommend this restaurant to eat in and is reasonably priced also. Well done!;)

• Stayed August 2011
Ballybunion, Ireland
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the Ocean World Race. Hotel just about average and badly needs an upgrade but our room was spotless and comfortable and the staff, like staff everywhere in Galway, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good with a help-yourself counter for juices, cereals, breads etc. and a menu for hot food. Super location on the edge of Eyre Square but the hotel does not have it's own car-park and one has to park in a multi-storey a few minutes walk away and through the bus station and, on a very wet day, is a nightmare carrying luggage and trying to avoid traffic so for that reason alone would never ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple