“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #43 of 58 Speciality Lodging in Galway
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

For a father, travelling with his 20 yo daughter this was an excellent place to stay: great value for money! We bothe had our own rooms and shared a bathroom (shower/toilet). The personell was more than helpfull. Easy transport to the city centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank S M
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we are the ideal base for exploring both Galway City and Connemara.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village in the future!
Roisin Buckley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cork city
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed the weekend of the Volvo ocean race. Booked two doubles and a single apartment, on arrival were told they only had an apartment with 1 double & 2 singles. My fiancé & myself gave the double to the other couple in our group and we slept in single rooms, far from ideal considering we had booked back in March. We did get a rate reduction but still very frustrating.

Rooms themselves are like the inside of a prison cell, lovely breeze block finish! I've stayed in other college accommodation in the past during the summer and Corrib village is rough in comparison.

Location is very good, close to the city centre. Overall I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank PEJACorkcity
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I wish to re-iterate out apologies to you on the unfortunate over-booking situation that we found ourselves in during the recent Volvo Ocean Race. My colleague would have explained to you on check in, that this is not the norm in Corrib Village and is a situation that we deeply regretted.
As you mentioned we did offer you a substantial reduction as a means of apology and I am sorry to read that you are still unhappy with the situation.
Our location is perfect for touring Connemara and Galway City itself - Corrib Village is a leisurely 15/20 minute walk, taking in the historic NUI Galway campus along the banks of the River Corrib, to the bustling heart of Galway city. We also provide a complimentary shuttle bus service from Corrib Village to Eyre Square which operates daily until 8.00pm.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further I can be contacted at (091) 527112 or at roisin@corribvillage.com
Roisin Buckley

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here recently. I paid less than EUR30 for a single room. There is a free bus into town and a basic breakfast included for this. Great value. Room was basic but comfortable enough. The only downside is that it is a bit far from town - the taxi journey can cost between 9 and 12 euro. I will return here. No complaints for the money.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Many thanks for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay in Corrib Village – as you mentioned, we offer great value on both Summer and Student accommodation and often have special offers available through our website.
You mention that we are far from the town centre – Corrib Village is a leisurely 15/20 minute picturesque walk, taking in the historic NUI Galway campus along the banks of the River Corrib, to the bustling heart of Galway city. We also provide a complimentary shuttle bus service from Corrib Village to Eyre Square which operates daily until 8.00pm.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village for another great value break in the near future.
clare
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found Corrib village to be Clean well equipped self catering option . Yea it's not a four star hotel but I had all I needed . The kitchen was well stocked and most of the equipment was new . The living room was spacious , furniture a bit old but fine . I found all areas clean and spotless . Shuttle bus was handy as its a long walk to city centre . Small shop on site was good to have when running out of milk. Found staff to be friendly and helpful. One small annoying thing the swipe cards on main building door took 4 to 6 attempts to open but apart from that I liked Corrib village and would return

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank rubygirl1977
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Trip Advisor member
Many thanks for taking the time to review Corrib Village.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. As previously advised, Corrib Village is under a new Management Company since November 2011 and one of our changes has been to appoint an Accommodation Manager to work with us since early June 2012. I was pleased to read that this appointment is having the desired result and that you found your accommodation to be clean and well presented – I will be sure to pass your comments onto Liam and his team.
As you mentioned, we do indeed offer a courtesy bus service to and from Galway City centre. Following customer feedback I am delighted to say that we have now extended these hours at weekends and run our courtesy bus service from 10.00am – 8.00pm Saturday & Sunday and from 12 noon – 8.00pm Monday - Friday.
Our Shop is also open from 8.30am – 8.30pm and stocks all your grocery essentials along with toiletries, fresh fruit, Bewley's tea & coffee to go and a gourmet range of sandwiches and sweet treats!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Corrib Village in the near future.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We booked a room with a bathroom. When we arrived, we were sent to a room which had one bathroom down the hall, which was to be shared between several rooms - a fact which was not clearly stated in the original advertisement. I asked if we could be moved, but was told that the entire complex was fully booked.

Having brought all of our cases to the room, we then discovered that the lock on our room door was broken, meaning that if you just pushed the door, it would open. We returned to reception, and had to wait 45 minutes to be relocated to another room.

Our new room had an en-suite, which was to be shared with another, adjoining, room. This meant that, in theory, four people had to share one shower, and our cosmetics, toothbrushes, etc., could not comfortably be left in the bathroom.

However, in spite of the fact we had been told that Corrib Village was fully booked, nobody stayed in the adjoining room, or, indeed, in the room across the hall (a room which I know to have been a double en-suite - and therefore requiring no bathroom-sharing), so all of our dashing in and out of the bathroom, for fear of being caught in a towel by a stranger, was pointless. In fact, Corrib Village was pretty empty for both nights of our stay. Having lived in Corrib Village as a student, I know what the place looks like when it is full, and it was most certainly not full, or anywhere near it. I fail to see why we weren't put in a room with a proper, non-sharing, en-suite.

In any event, on the first evening of our stay, we went out for about an hour, and when we returned, our key cards would not work. In torrential rain, we returned to reception, and had to be re-admitted to our room by a security guard. This happened again on the following afternoon (again in the rain), and a third time (again in the rain) on our second night when we returned after a evening out.

The bathroom had no window, a very poor fan, and was filthy. The taps were encrusted with limescale and dirt, there was mildew on the walls. The shower head was full of limescale, and the water trickled out of it.

In the bedroom, the pillows were hard, the place was generally a little shabby, and the shelves in the bedroom were covered in burn-marks from candles.

I appreciate that this is student accommodation during term, but there is no excuse for not cleaning it properly. The situation with the key-cards and broken locks is just ridiculous.

There is a courtesy bus into the city once an hour during the day, but otherwise, a taxi will cost you about €12, or you can make the 35-minute walk into the city (minimum - after a few drinks, it has been known to take people 1.5 hours!).

All in all, I would not recommend Corrib Village, unless you are really stuck for accommodation, and don't mind roughing it. Given the cost of transport when the courtesy bus is not available, you might be better advised to use the money to get somewhere more central, cleaner, and better serviced.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception are the farthest from town. During the summer, if you are staying in a room nea...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyDuke1975
Dear Trip Advisor member
Many thanks for taking the time to review Corrib Village.
I was disappointed to learn that we fell short on some aspects of your stay and I have initiated a full investigation. You appear to have been allocated a “shared bathroom” apartment rather than an “en-suite” apartment which was your preference and I would be anxious to discuss your stay with us in person, to ensure that I can investigate it fully and ensure that staff re-training may be carried out as required. At Corrib Village we are totally committed to excellent Customer Service and providing affordable clean accommodation that is good value for money to all of our customers and unfortunately we appear to have failed in this instance.
As you mentioned, we do indeed offer a courtesy bus service to and from Galway City centre. Following customer feedback I am delighted to advise that we have now extended these hours at weekends and run our courtesy bus service from 10.00am – 8.00pm Saturday & Sunday and from 12 noon – 8.00pm Monday - Friday.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in person with you, if you wish to do so please contact me at +353 (91) 527112 or email me at roisin@corribvillage.com
Kilkenny
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Why is Corrib Village Hotel called a Hotel when it is student accomodation for the university during the academic year. The place is nice and clean, kithcen/living area is spacious and bright.

The breakfast was basic but the orange juice was absolutely disgusting, i thought i was going to get sick, tea and toast - okay.

Staff in reception was friendly and helpful.
Overall i would rate this accomodation 5/10 because it is basic and there was no teatowel to dry the dishes and it was just a basic accomodation.

Would I stay here again?

Maybe if i got a cheaper price.
Having read the other reviews of this place I feel sorry for the students who stay here during the college term and sounds very expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick C
Dear Trip Advisor member
Many thanks for taking the time to review Corrib Village. Thank you for your kind comments on our Staff friendliness and cleaning standards which we strive to maintain and improve on at all times.
I am sorry that we fell short on some aspects of your stay and I have carried out corrective training where required. You mentioned that Corrib Village is called a Hotel, at all times our intention is to make it clear that Corrib Village is indeed Student Accommodation and we are not aware of being listed as a hotel anywhere.
I would be delighted to discuss your stay in person with you, if you wish to do so please contact me at +353 (91) 527112 or email me at roisin@corribvillage.com
Kildare
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I agree totally with galwaystudent11, my son stayed in a cell in Corrib Village for the last academic year. As a first year we felt he would be better off staying on campus, despite the ridiculous cost. Basic is a kind word to describe the accomodation, each tenant pays a 900.00 security deposit, 5 sharing pay 4,500 in deposit which would refit the apartment twice!! Each apartment is inspected weekly to check all is in order and a reasonable standard of cleanliness is kept. I collected my son at Christmas and despite passing every weekly check I was horrified at the squalor that Corrib Village had passed as acceptable. Putting 5 strange lads together is not a good idea, they had various degrees of hygeine but all were filthy, including my own. I actually cleaned the place when I dropped him back after Christmas, it only took an hour and a bottle of bleach but made a huge difference. The second semester was a different story, suddenly the inspections became more fussy and things that were previously acceptable were now problematic. It seemed to me that they were cynically finding fault to uphold the retaining of deposits. I believe that they had to bring in contract cleaners to clean the apartment, which I will be charged for. As these apartments are used for tourists in the summer I believe they would have done that anyway. As a parent of a student I would STRONGLY advise against using this accomodation, the strict supervision advertised does not happen, the rooms are cold, damp and musty, the bathrooms are mouldy, showers a trickle. Very expensive. As for tourists, if you saw the state of the place when the students were there you would run a mile.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MrsDKildare
CorribVillageGalway, General Manager at Corrib Village, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your recent review.
I was disappointed to read that your Sons experience at Corrib Village has not met with your expectations. Corrib Village is now managed by a new Management Company and we are moving forward in many ways. Extensive staff training has taken place since November 2011 focusing on all areas of the business from Customer Service to efficiencies in business procedures. An apartment upgrade programme is also in place with 72 of our 176 apartments completed to date. A student survey was conducted in February and we gained valuable feedback from almost 50% of our Residents. We are currently using this feedback to plan for 2012/13 academic year and beyond.
Since semester 2 2011/12, we have 15 Residential Assistants (RA’s) working with us to create a vibrant community atmosphere in Corrib Village. The RA’s are current residents who work with my colleagues and I to facilitate more effective communication and to make the Student experience an enjoyable one. Semester 2 also saw the introduction of an Activity Plan which saw free weekly events being organised for our Residents. These events included Movie Nights, 5 a-side Football, Hair & Beauty Night, Charity events etc. We continue to provide 24 hour security to ensure that Corrib Village remains a safe place for students to live.
This Summer we have recruited an Accommodation Manager to work with us for the Summer Season and he will also be tasked with ensuring that all Student Apartments are presented to the highest standards possible for the 2012/13 Academic Year check in.
The deposit you mentioned is made up of €325 energy costs (unused amounts are refunded); €225 non-refundable payment to cover utility bills and the remaining €250 is a refundable damage deposit. Weekly Inspections are indeed carried out as Corrib Village is not responsible for the day-to-day cleaning of apartments and this is actually to ensure that parents/guarantors receive as much of their refunds as possible, with students being given every opportunity possible to improve the daily upkeep/cleanliness of their apartments. However on occasion we do have to engage contract cleaners when all efforts with an apartment have been made and they fail to keep their apartment in an acceptable manner.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your review in detail with you. Please contact me on (091) 519281 or at roisin@corribvillage.com.