“Best wedding reception hotel in Ireland”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I attended a wedding in this hotel. It was a fab experience. I stayed in the hotel next door (The Salthill Hotel). This is the first hotel I have attended that the reception dinner was excellent. The food was superb. The staff went that extra mile to facilitate all our needs. The bar and restaurant staff were excellent. I would recommend this hotel for all weddings.

Room Tip: Best wedding reception hotel I have ever attended.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Louis F
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Louis,
Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to share your recent experience whilst attending a wedding reception here in the Galway Bay Hotel. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience while you were here.

Thankfully, we receive feedback such as this on a weekly basis for all of the food product we serve, but most especially for wedding receptions. Our Executive Chef Robbie and his brigade are so focused and motivated when it comes to producing top quality food consistently. I am delighted also that you found the restaurant and bar staff to be excellent. Thank you for recommending us to all.
Best regards, Dan Murphy

Write a ReviewReviews (3,437)

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Location is definitely an asset for this hotel as you are right on the boardwalk. The rooms were nice but the hotel seemed to be a little too busy. The service was average and was disappointed with the attention we received. The beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Gary,
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am delighted to see that you had a very pleasant time whilst staying here. I am sorry to see that the level of attention you received was not what you expected, if you would like to elaborate on this please feel free to drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com . Thank you sincerely, Dan Murphy.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Recently atteneted a charity event here at the galway bay....where do i begin?? Everything about the evening was really just effortless. The lobby looked stunning, all decorated for christmas. On check in Kamilla was so friendly and helpful with everything. I was sharing a room with two others, it was so spacious we could have brought the family!! It was so comfortable and warm. The event itself had a massive turnout of people but this was no problem to the staff who were so professional and efficent in dealing with all aspects of it. We had a buffet stlye dinner which was absoulutley delicious. As we had a late night we orderded room service in the morning and again was without fault!! The only downfall is that we didnt get to stay longer :(....definetly will be returning!!Ten out of ten :-)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
danmurph, Front Office Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear ‘Nukie88’,

Thank you most sincerely for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us. We receive approximately 220 pieces of guest feedback weekly at present and I have to say that the overwhelming majority of the feedback is a replica of your feedback.

It is very pleasing to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay – our aim is to exceed all of our guests expectations and it is lovely to read such high praise and recognition.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to the Galway Bay Hotel in the future.

Sincerest regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I are just back from 2 days B&B in the Galway Bay Hotel. The room was fine, the bathroom was quite small and rather tired, the beds were very comfortable and the duvet was a very nice weight, not too heavy as is often the case in hotels. The corridors are oppressive as a result of the very low ceilings. The pool area is small but fine. We found access to the hotel rather strange, the main door and reception is at the back of the hotel and no allowance has been made for pedestrian access, while walking in and out of the hotel one must contend with all the cars etc driving through the carpark, there wasn't even a pedestrian gate at the perimeter that we could use. We really didn't like this especially at night and had I had children with me I would have been very concerned.
Check in was fine, speedy and pleasant. Breakfast was as expected with the usual array of hot and cold food.
While looking for a quiet corner in which to read, I noticed the piped music, it is playing in all the public areas, one tune playing the the cafe and a different tune in reception, we had also been aware of it while having breakfast - who are they playing this music for? the staff or the patrons, personally I don't know anybody who has ever said 'Oh the piped music was lovely', turn it off, it's awful. I was directed to the library to read in silence but there is a speaker on the ceiling just outside the doors to the library, blaring out the same piped music, so even in the library you cannot escape the noise.
Overall the hotel is OK, but just OK.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DublinKellygirl,
Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback.

We have a very comprehensive Guest Feedback System and Guest Feedback Log here in the Galway Bay Hotel. I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback each week, all uploaded onto the Guest Feedback log. These comments are received by way of guest comment card, letter, e-mail, guest questionnaire to a random amount of in house guests and guest questionnaire by way of follow on call to a random amount of recent past guests. As you can imagine there has been a large volume of guest feedback gathered and collated over the course of the last number of years. The overwhelming majority of this feedback is hugely positive and I have not had any negative regarding the background music. The reason for my delayed reply is because I focused both last weeks and also this weeks random guest questionnaires around the items you have mentioned and no other guest mentioned these as issues. In fact most guests were very complimentary regarding the in house background music saying that it added to the general atmosphere throughout the hotel. I merely mention these to outline that your experience is certainly not the norm and the exception to the rule here in the Galway Bay Hotel.
Warmest regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed 3 December 2013

another excellent stay at this hotel - although i was there on business i would also stay on holiday - the fresh fruit selection for breakfast was one of the best i have ever seen !
on a downside the restaurant in the evening was very busy and more staff was needed !

Room Tip: those situated on the front of the hotel have excellent views - on a clear day the Isle of Arran
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Sue,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel. Thank you also for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief time with us. Your positive feedback regarding the breakfast buffet is super to see. We have a marvelous team who work on the breakfast buffets every morning – they really are so focused and passionate when it comes to delivering top class service and product consistently. They make my job so much easier! Thank you also for your constructive feedback – it certainly is very unusual and I will investigate immediately. Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Thank you again most sincerely, Dan Murphy

Reviewed 2 December 2013

With a party of 60 bowlers I had the pleasure of spending a 5 night break at the Galway Bay hotel.
Everything about this hotel ticks all the boxes and this was the opinion of the total party who attended.
The friendliness of all the staff was exceptional throughout the break, the standard of food was excellent and the cleanliness in all parts of the hotel was of a very high standard.
Suffice to say that the entire party have booked again for early 2014.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear ‘bowlerEnniskillen’,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback and thank you for taking the time and effort to share this wonderful review with all. I am delighted that both your good self and indeed the whole party of 60 people had such a wonderful time with us. Your positive feedback is most encouraging for all on the team particularly regarding the friendliness of all, the excellent quality of food you received and the cleanliness of the hotel as we continuously large amounts of time and effort in these areas.
Thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in 2014!

Kindest regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in November and had a great experience. The restaurant is excellent for breakfast and dinner and there are q few small touches that really made the hotel stand out. At breakfast on a very busy Sunday morning we were escorted to our table and received service very promptly. At sinner that evening the well-spoken waiter was courteous and professional as were all the staff during our stay. I had a fabulous massage and facial from Marguerite in the calm waters spa,which was excellent value and so relaxing. I had requested a sea view room when booking,but unfortunately there were none available when we checked in. I asked again the following morning as we were heading out. On our return we had been moved to a stunning suite with a 300 degree view of Galway bay which made our stay all the more enjoyable. It is lovely to see a hotel like this put so much work into customer service, and it really pays off. Well done Galway Bay Hotel!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘omathunad’,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant time whilst staying here.

Your positive comments are so welcome and most encouraging. I would like to thank you very much for your kind praise of our hotel and the facilities we offer to all guests, particularly the costumer service as all on the team put a huge amount of time and effort into this on a daily basis. I am delighted that you enjoyed the superb views from the hotel – they certainly are wonderful – I hope that you had the opportunity to ‘watch the sun go down on Galway Bay ’ as the old and famous song goes..

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Best regards, Dan Murphy