“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel with my partner and have to say we had a brilliant experience. The location is superb with unparalleled views of the bay. The staff we encountered were top calibre, particular mention to Brian and Trevor who were always quick with a joke and a recommendation for a nice pub or an evenings entertainment. Only negative I would have about this hotel was it's leisure centre needs a bit of refurbishment.

• Stayed July 2014
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear ‘Goody2shoes1’,
Thank you for your feedback and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am most pleased to see that you had a very enjoyable time whilst staying with us.

All on the team are delighted to read your very positive feedback. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed our location and the views from the hotel. To say that the staff members are a top caliber is a great compliment to all. Brian and Trevor are thrilled to be mentioned in person and they pass on their regards to you.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the leisure centre. The good news is that once the summer season is over we will be refurbishing all aspects of this area including the gymnasium, swimming pool, changing areas etc.

On behalf of all on the team I would like to thank you once again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some point in the future.
Warmest regards,
Dan Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed for three nights at the Galway Bay hotel. We had 3 breakfasts included and two dinners. We had a lovely bedroom overlooking Galway Bay - could not have asked for a better room (101). There were windows on two sides, so we had a really nice sea breeze. There was free internet and we had a good connection in the room.
The boardwalk in front of the hotel was lovely for walking - you could walk a good mile or two in either direction. We had really wonderful weather during our stay, so many people were out enjoying the bay.
The hotel was really quiet - no late night partiers. One couldn't help but notice that the majority of the guests were quite senior (also some families).
The food in the restaurant was reasonably good. The service, however, was poor. We wished we had not booked the dinners, because the service was agonizingly slow, actually, or too rushed (one way one night, opposite the next night). It didn't help that we had just had two evenings at Dromoland Castle, where the service was excellent. Galway Bay hotel could not compare, but then it is an altogether different category of property.
We had a rental car, and there is plenty of free parking in the underground parkade. If you want to go into Galway city for dinner, etc, it is a very short drive - less than 10 minutes.
The front desk service was very accommodating, helpful and friendly. There is a pub on site, which looked really nice, and might have been a better bet for dinner, however we did not eat there.
I would for sure stay here again. I just would not have dinner here (unless of course it was included!)

Room Tip: 101 was an excellent room, at the end of a corridor, so no one walking by the room at all.
1 Thank suec89
Dear ‘suec89’,
Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am vey pleased to see that you had such a nice time whilst with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly in relation to our location, the views from the hotel and in particular from your bedroom, the quality of the bedroom. I am delighted to see that you had the opportunity to take a walk on the promenade right outside the hotel – it certainly is a great walk on either side of the hotel and a great facility to have on our doorstep. Your positive comments regarding the service at the front desk area are also very welcome and have been passed on to the team and I am delighted to see that you would stay here again. I am saddened to see however that the service you received in our Lobster Pot Restaurant was not at our normal high standard. As a team we are most disappointed as generally the feedback regarding service at dinner is exceptional. We have discussed this and together we will ensure that focus on all aspects of dinner service as part of our very structured in house training program – Exceeding Expectations, whereby all members of the team attend a daily training session in their respective department, where we focus on service standards and positive personality.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.
Kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for two night while travelling in Galway and Clare. We normally stay in Galway city, but this time decided to try Salthill. The hotel was ok but the atmosphere is very bland. It is very hard to put one's finger on what is wrong but I think it has something to do with the layout of the hotel. The bar is so dark and dismal that there is no way I would choose to spend time there. The nicest thing about this hotel is the magnificent front terrace which gives a wonderful view over Galway Bay, but it is not utilised enough. There are insufficient tables and chairs there and table service is very hit and miss. The bedroom was tired and in need of an update. Bathroom was fine if a tad small. Breakfast was good and dining room staff were helpful. I would not be rushing back to stay, but on the other hand if I heard it had a facelift, I would go back to see if it made a difference.

1 Thank NoelDillon
Dear ‘NoelDillon’,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Galway Bay Hotel and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the quality of the breakfast which you received and also the quality of the team in the Lobster Pot Restaurant.

I am very disappointed to read that you feel that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. We consistently receive a lot of very positive feedback regarding the layout of the hotel with the hotel lobby being centrally located and each of the respective outlets, the Lobster Pot Restaurant, the Harvest Café, the Library, the Leisure Centre and the main bar being located a specific points just off the lobby. Of course our Sea View terrace and Sea View conservatory are also just off the lobby area providing great natural light and a wonderful backdrop of Galway Bay and the beautiful Clare Hills .

We have a classical look and feel running throughout the hotel. This classical look and feel runs throughout all of the public areas and also throughout all of the bedrooms. The hotel bedrooms have been refurbished over the course of the last number of months and where I do understand that this classical look and feel may not be to every guests taste we do receive a lot of extremely positive feedback consistently in this regard. Our main bar has a traditional look and feel with traditional ‘bric a brac’ and furniture ensuring the authentic feel. As part of our bar we also have our Sea View Lounge which reverts back to the classical look and feel with couches, easy chairs and tubs running throughout. This area has marvelous views of the bay and is a great alternative to our main bar.

Thank you again Noel and we would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.
Warm regards,
Galveston, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

It has a great location in Salthill on the Promenade facing the ocean with a wonderful sunroom and terrace. The lobby was large and well furnished and the hotel was clean. The front desk staff was extremely helpful. Our room was spacious and well furnished. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi tub-shower combination. Getting into the tub could be difficult for someone with ambulatory problems. The restaurant service was average to poor and the food was average. It caters to an older, retired crowd, although there were a few younger families there. While it was a comfortable hotel, we would not return. When in Galway, make sure you eat early as the hotel and town's restaurants close at 9 p.m. This hotel provides sandwiches through the bar from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. There is a great Irish music and dance show held in the hotel called Trad on the Prom.

Room Tip: A room on the left side of the hotel (left as you face the hotel) is wonderful as it overlooks the h...
Dear ‘BayTwo’,
Thank you for your feedback and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am very pleased to see that by enlarge you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your feedback is most welcome and I am delighted to see that you feel that we have a great location – on the promenade in Salthill, overlooking the famous Galway Bay . I am very pleased to see also that you enjoyed the spectacular views from some of the many vantage points within the hotel – we do have some really nice areas to relax, unwind and watch the world go by, in our Sea view Conservatories or in our Sea View Lounge or indeed outside on our Sea View Terrace. It is pleasing to sea also that the staff were extremely helpful and that your bedroom was spacious and well furnished. All of our bedrooms have been refurbished over the course of the last number of months and hey are receiving super feedback.

I am terribly saddened to see that the service you received at dinner in our Lobster Pot Restaurant was not at our usual high standard. I would like to apologise to you most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the hotel. I am particularly disappointed as I have reviewed all of the guest feedback for the last number of weeks – we receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis all uploaded on to a very comprehensive Guest Feedback log – and the guest comments received regarding service is the Lobster Pot is very positive. I would like to assure you that your experience was a one off and certainly not the normal. I would also like to assure you that I have addressed this with the team in the Lobster Pot and we will work to ensure that this is not an issue in the future.

Your comment regarding our mix of business is incorrect. Thankfully, we are a busy hotel with a very strong occupancy. The business mix is certainly varied with young guests along with more mature guests and families along with couples etc.

Thank you againi for your feedback and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.
Best regards
Fethard, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I’d like to compliment the management and staff of the hotel for looking after us so well on our recent stay. We were a group comprised mainly of senior citizens. The staff provided us with a friendly and courteous service throughout our stay. We stayed for 4 nights on a half board basis. The food was very good and the menus varied each evening. We had a choice of at least 4 starters, mains and desserts each evening as part of our half board package. And the breakfast buffet had a wide choice of hot and cold food to choose from. Free nightly entertainment was also provided. It all helped to make the holiday very enjoyable. For the most part the hotel was user friendly. The only fault was that there were no walk in showers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bobbi H
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear ‘Bobbi H’

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to review the Galway Bay Hotel following on from you recent four night stay with us. I am most pleased to see that you had a very pleasant experience.

Your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly in relation to the very friendly and courteous staff and service. I am also very pleased to see that you found the quality of food each evening to be very high with varied menus along with a very varied breakfast offering. I am delighted that you enjoyed the complimentary nightly entertainment provided within the hotel – we provide organized table quiz’s, bingo along with complimentary tours to Connemara and other areas of the West of Ireland. Of course we also provide complimentary activity vouchers for hotel guests which include cruises on Lough Corrib, access to the National Atlantaquarium of Ireland here in Salthill and water sports activities for the family or indeed just the children, access to local pet farms etc. all of these activities are hugely popular and great entertainment for adults, children and families alike.
If planning a return visit please mention that you would like a walk in shower as we do have a number of guest bedrooms with this type of shower.

Thank you again for your feedback Bobbi, I have passed this on to all on the team and all pass on their gratitude to you. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.

Kindest regards,
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I know the hotel touts its rating as best 4 star in Ireland but I am at a loss as to who voted. I certainly wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel but the only thing to rave about at this hotel is the view. And not the view from our room, which is one of many that overlook the tour bus parking and amusement park at Leisureland next door.

The hotel is a Mecca for package tourists who arrive by the bus load. Had I read the reviews more carefully I would have picked up on this. When I complained about the awful location of our room, which I had booked months in advance, I knew immediately that my displeasure was falling on deaf ears because a package tourist will fill our room. They aren't interested in the transient market and made only a feeble attempt to mollify me saying they would see if they could move us to another room the next day. Frankly if I have to move rooms I'm just going to change hotels. Alas I have had to leave the hotel to even look for another hotel as the WiFi was not working in our room. A call to the front desk, again, fell into the void.

I hate to post only negative reviews and in fact I generally only post about the hotels we love. But this place is a huge disappointment and individual travelers would do better to stay pretty much anywhere else.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Miss718
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear ‘EasilyAmused’,

It is with great regret that I read of your disappointment in relation to your visit to the Galway Bay Hotel. Please know that all on the team are very concerned and to hear that your assessment of the hotel fell well below expectations.

As a business we are very much aware that ‘we are only as good as our last performance’. It is our goal to exceed the expectations of all of our guests at all times and should we fail as appears to be the case in your experience we do our utmost to resolve the matter. I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis from guests of the hotel. This feedback is received by way of guest comment card, letter and e-mail and indeed by way of guest questionnaires to a random amount on in house guests and a random amount of recently past guests. All of this feedback is uploaded on to a very comprehensive guest feedback log and as you can imagine over the years a vast amount of guest feedback has been uploaded. I would like to assure you that the overwhelming amount of this feedback is overwhelmingly positive regarding all aspects of the hotel. You are quite correct to mention that we have been awarded with the accolade of Best Four Star Hotel in Ireland – we have been awarded with this award on three occasions over the course of the last number of years. We have also been awarded with many other very prestigious industry awards for excellence in costumer service, excellence in food quality among many more. I merely mention these to outline that your experience is certainly not the norm here in the Galway Bay Hotel.

I apologise to you most sincerely for the lack of wifi in your bedroom, this is certainly unusual however the good news is that we are actually in the process of upgrading the speed and strength of our wifi technology throughout the entire hotel, this will be completed very shortly.

I would like to assure you that we have absolute respect for all guests of the hotel. We have a large volume of repeat and return guests both national and international and they all assure me by way of feedback that the welcome and hospitality the receive is second to none.

Your comment regarding the volume of tour busses we cater for is misguided. We do cater for organized tour groups, in a similar manner to all other grade A four and five star hotels however not to the extent that you outline.

I do again apologise to you that your stay did not live up to our normal high standards and please feel free to drop me a line at any time at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com as I would welcome the opportunity to liaise with you in person.
Warm regards,
enniskillen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I again had the pleasure of staying for 5 days in the Galway Bay Hotel. We would normally stay in the autumn time when obviously the numbers would be less but these past 5 days have been faultless despite the hotel being fully booked. We'll done once again to all involved in making our break so enjoyable.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank bowlerEnniskillen
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear ‘bowlerEnniskillen’,
Thank you for this wonderful feedback and thank you also most sincerely for returning to the Galway Bay Hotel again recently. We greatly appreciate your business and all are delighted that you enjoy your time here so much.

To say that the five days you spent here were faultless is the ultimate compliment to all on the team and I have passed your feedback on to all. I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback each week and I have to say that the overwhelming majority of the feedback is a replica of yours.

Thank you once again and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at some point in the future.
Warmest regards