“Lovely helpful staff”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
London
“Lovely helpful staff”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with the family and had a great time. Our four year old enjoyed the kids club, both in the mornings and the evening. Normally he's in bed by 8, but he was sufficiently entertained to stay up until 11pm. We also had fun in the swimming pool, and enjoyed the food in the restaurant and the bar. There was a good selection at the breakfast buffet.
I've read other reviewers saying the decor is a bit tired and it needs an update, and sure, I've stayed in hotels which were a bit more modern....but they were often sterile and soulless. What sets the Galway Bay Hotel apart is the staff. Everyone had a smile, they were patient and helpful, and made you feel welcome. The bedroom was spacious, clean and comfortable. And what amazed me was how quiet it was at night. I never heard loud voices or banging doors, even though the hotel was full of young families.
Make sure you see Trad on the Prom too....terrific entertainment.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank skyman64
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear ‘skyman64’,
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted to see that your good self and your family had a very pleasant time whilst here.

I am delighted to see that your son really enjoyed our Penguin Kids Club. Thankfully, this is a replica of the feedback received daily from guests of the hotel as we provide nine hours between the morning time and the evening time of interactive entertainment for all children, including educational quiz’s, chef time, action activities and of course movie time. I am also thrilled to read your comments regarding the quality of the team throughout the hotel. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team of people whom are so motivated, focused and passionate when it comes to delivering top class service to all guests consistently. They make my job so much easier!!

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.
Dan Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I visited the Galway Bay hotel recently for a friend's wedding. The meal, the atmosphere and most of all the staff were just amazing. Very grateful to two of the managers Brian and Trevor who went above and beyond to make the night unforgettable- Well done to all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lorraine H
Dear Lorraine ,
Thank you for this wonderful feedback! I am delighted to see that you had such a memorable time recently whilst attending a friends wedding reception. I am thrilled to see that you found the quality of the meal, the atmosphere and all on the team to be amazing. Brian and Trevor and chuffed to be mentioned by you and pass on their gratitude.
Kind regards, Dan Murphy
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had brilliant weekend here!great place for occasions such as christenings.kids had great time. Very family friendly and excellent service.food was also of a high standard.special thanks to Mr Gerard Walsh for all the help!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank irenebrennan
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear ‘irenebrennan’,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am delighted to read that you had a very pleasant time here. Your positive feedback is most welcome and I have shared this with all on the team. Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again at some stage in the future.

Kindest regards,
MUNSTER
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had a three night stay in this hotel recently, left with a skin infection, and a baby with a chest infection, the cause of the infection was the chemicals in the pool. On arrival we got a room which stank of cigarettes, we were moved across the hall, had to request a small fridge for the room even though I had already done that before we arrived.
There are no baby changing facilities in the leisure centre and they were also VERYcold. Left very disappointed as we were told it was VERY baby friendly. To add to this the cleaner left our room door open after cleaning it one morning, we returned at 8pm that night, luckily nothing was taken, The food was ok, nothing special for a hotel in Galway I expected lots of nice shellfish/seafood and there wasn't.
The waitress who served us on both nights was very good.
Breakfast was nice and service there was good.
But overall was very disappointed, we were told on leaving that the new leisure centre would be open in November, not much good to us then!
Wouldn't recommend the hotel for a small baby.
We were refunded €118 because of our inconveniences which to be honest didn't even cover our medical costs when we got home. NEVER GOING BACK THERE

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MunsterGoodtimes
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night break while catching up with friends locally. Found the hotel to be up to standard. Check in with Gerard was more than adequate. The rooms were decorated traditionally and to my taste. The bar was welcoming and lively. Breakfast in the morning whilst busy was as tasty as I have had ever. Leisure centre a bit small but I hear they have plans to do it up in the near future. I will return

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Foxywal
Dear ‘Foxywal’,
Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am most pleased to see that you had a very pleasant time. I have shared your views with all on the team and all pass on their gratitude to you. You are quite correct; we do have very exciting plans as part of our winter refurbishing program to refurbish the hotel leisure centre. We look forward to welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.
Warmest regards,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had the privilege of dining at the Lobster Pot Restaurant in Galway (Galway Bay Hotel) on Sunday, and would like to thank Paul (the Manager) and Katrina (our waitress for the evening) for the friendly reception, fantastic service and overall wonderful experience. The service was great, the food was great, there was just nothing we could fault the restaurant or staff on. Thank you so much. We will definitely visit again, and will not hesitate to recommend the restaurant to anybody.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ulrike724
Thank you for choosing to dine in the Lobster Pot Restaurant here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your super feedback. I am most pleased to see that you had a very pleasant dinning experience with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and also very encouraging. I am delighted to see that you found the quality of the food you received and the service fantastic. Katriona and Paul are thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium and they pass on their sincere gratitude to you.

Best regards, Dan Murphy
london uk
Reviewed 24 August 2014

As a child I frequently went to Galway with my family, but never stayed at this hotel. 20 yrs later, I went back with my family . The hotel is on the seafront, a short walk from the amusements, pubs and local shops. We booked two family rooms and a twin room. They were a good size. One family room had a double and single, the other had a sofa bed as well. Each room had a desk and chair, table and chairs, and two arm chairs. The bathroom had what you would expect. Nothing special. The hotel itself is quite large and looks dated. The furniture throughout the hotel is old and a bit tatty. It really needs a fresh new look.
The breakfast was okay with a choice of cereals, fruits, cold meats, and of course the obligatory fry up. The breakfast was not of a very high standard and there should have been more choice and a better layout of the food areas. The dining area was too small for the amount of people in the hotel. The waiting staff were rushed off their feet and at times it was very chaotic. It was quite sunny for our stay and the dining room was very hot and stuffy with no air conditioning. Not really good enough in this day and age.
The hotel has a bar inside, which is very nice and serves food. We ate there one night. The food was fine, but again nothing special. The local restaurants in town were better.
There is a swimming pool in the hotel, which is small, but it does have a nice little area for small children. There is a kids club, and we did send our kids to it for a morning session as they wanted to try it out. After two hours they'd had enough and said it was not much fun.
The really good point about the hotel was the staff. They were excellent. Nothing was too much and they were all very professional.
My major gripe with this hotel was the fact they tried to cater for everything and everyone. By that, I mean they have guests staying there on holiday, on business, and they also host weddings and family parties. There were two weddings when we stayed, and of course you have the guests shouting and roaring well into the early hours--the first night it was 4 am, and the second night 3 am. I feel that the hotel should take all parties interests into consideration and place people in areas of the hotel best suited for their needs. The hotel is big enough to achieve this, it just needs better planning. We paid 190 Euro a night bed and breakfast, and to be totally honest, it was too much money. I write this not having read any other reviews. I still love Galway, but this hotel needs improving, and I'll stay elsewhere on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank fabslondonuk
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear 'fabslondonuk',

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel with your family recently and thank you also for your feedback.

I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the location of the hotel on the Promenade in Salthill and I am also happy to see that you found the staff to be excellent, professional and that nothing was too much trouble for them.

I am however very concerned to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay. We do have procedures in place with regards to noise control, and with regards to breakfast service. Obviously, in this case we failed and I do apologise to you most sincerely. Together, myself and the relevant management will address this and ensure that we do not have a reoccurrence with any future guests.

The hotel is 16 years old and all areas of the hotel have been refurbished on a number of occasions since opening. We will be continuing this refurbishment program going into the winter period as we do each year. Most recently we have invested in our hotel bedrooms and in October/November our Leisure Centre is getting refurbished.

I would love the opportunity to liase with you in person regarding your stay. If you wish to do so my email address is dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com.

Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again in the future.

Warm regards,