“Nice B & B”
Review of Roncalli House

Roncalli House
Ranked #47 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here last week. We really enjoyed Galway City and this house was a short walk to the city centre. The hosts were very friendly and helped us with directions to town. The room was clean and normal sized for the B&Bs we stayed at in Ireland. Only two minor complaints. We were in the front of the house and the road noise was noticeable. Also, the pillows were not comfortable. Like I said minor issues. The breakfast was awesome!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick B

Reviewed 18 June 2011

If you're there to stay in Galway and see nothing else in Ireland, I'm not sure even then I could recommend this place. My friend and I were making a trip around Ireland in April and trying to see as much as we could with what time we had. This was our next stop after visiting the Ring of Kerry, so naturally we weren't going to arrive early. We arrived to a cold and unfriendly reception at 9 PM. Given that there were scores of other B&Bs on the way to and all around this B&B, we weren't expecting such a a rude reception. We were excoriated for arriving late while you could look at B&B next door and see a vacancy sign lit up and welcoming late arrivals.

We explained that we had traveled quite a bit that day and couldn't have gotten there earlier and were told we should have done our traveling during the day. I can't imagine anyone looking for paying customers daring to critique their personal decisions like that. We weren't in Ireland to sit in a room. The next morning, my friend unxpectedly got up early for once and had forgotten that the owner had told us breakfast would be at 8AM. He entered the dining room at 7:45 and noticed there wasn't much out and asked the daughter if he could get some tea. I was reprimanded for being there early and the mother and daughter spent the next 20 minutes in the kitchen ranting over his "grievous" action of arriving early. That's not how I want to be greeted or treated during a stay when I part with my hard earned money. It doesn't bode well with the image of friendly Ireland.
And besides that, the room was way too hot and the bathroom was impossible to navigate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank verlyns
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I found Galway to b my least favorite of all cities I've visited and I've traveled everywhere except for northern Ireland. It's very dirty and lacking that Irish charm we all seek on vacation. Seems to be more of a college town. When we drove up to this B&B I didn't want to stop, but we already had reservations. The street was littered with trash and looked like a run down older rental community in the states. We received a very warm welcoming to the B&B, but it smelled like my great grandmas house ( I'm so sorry Mrs. Roncalli). On the plus side we took a day drive out to Kylemore Abbey and it was amazing! I would say if you have a limited time in Ireland skip Galway and stay right around the corner at Fallons B&B in Kinvara. Great little fishing village with castle and traditional music.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We were only in Galway for one night, but we wish we could have stayed longer. The city was great and Roncalli House was great. No issues with water pressure, hot water, or the rooms. Breakfast was delicious and staff were very nice and good at their jobs. If I am ever able to make it back to Ireland I will definitely make more time for Galway and stay at Roncalli.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sigma194
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This house is in the perfect location. City Centre is 10 minutes walk east and the bay is right across the street making access to the walk along the bay as easy as could be. Carmel, the hostess, was delightful and charming. We got to Galway super early (like 10am) and they allowed us to check in immediately. Breakfast was pleasant. There is a garden in the back and a nice sitting room. The beds themselves were comfortable as far as firmness goes, but they were a little wee. It seemed small for a double.

Some of the previous reviewer mentioned noisiness as an issue. We had no problems with that. In fact, we enjoyed being able to look out the window and see people walking along the pier.

As a side note, Galway is a super fun town. We were only there one night, but if we go back to Ireland, we will definitely plan for two in this fun city.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blugrsmonkey
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Roncalli House is located close to Galway Bay (we had a glimpse of the bay from our room) and is convenient to local restaurants. We received a warm, friendly greeting from the hosts. Very good breakfast. Our room and bath were small, but certainly adequate. We were somewhat bothered by noise due to the location beside a busy road and thin walls that meant a television in a neighboring room kept us awake longer than we would have liked.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travel101548
Reviewed 24 February 2011

This B&B has a very good location, it is close to the city centre, we walked for about 15mins and arrived at the spanish arc. The staff was helpful and always interested in making our stay a pleasant one. Probably the only "minus" is that the room we stayed in #1... was a bit noisy both from outside cars as well as other guests coming up the stairs. We also were surprised by a light that was turned on/off everytime someone came up the stairs, the room we were in had an open window on top of the room door and the light hit us directly at our eyes while laying down in the bed. The light is turned off after a few minutes but still it is not funny...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple