“Great hospitality & location but dated rooms”
Review of Roncalli House

Roncalli House
Ranked #44 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This B & B is in an excellent location between Galway City & Salthill, 10-15 mins either way gets you to the centre of both.Staff were very friendly , breakfast was very nice but the room was a bit small for a double & a single bed.Bathroom was very small where you could easily bang your head on sink if trying to sit on toilet.You have to maneuver around the sink to get at the toilet and then you do not have enough space to get comfortable.all in all the bedroom left this place down big time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed at this very friendly, welcoming B&B while we toured Inishmore, Connemara and saw the local "Trad on the Prom" show at the hotel. I found Carmel, the hostess to be very friendly and helpful. She worried about us getting to Rossaveal in time for the ferry to the Aran Islands, but we made it fine. She supplied us with brochures and maps. The breakfast was very good and the rooms were adequate and comparable to other B&Bs in Ireland. Galway City is not my favorite place in Ireland, but I don't like cities in general. I prefer the countryside, however, this B&B was convenient to the places we wanted to visit and Carmel was a delight.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are very nice if they are available.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here last week. We really enjoyed Galway City and this house was a short walk to the city centre. The hosts were very friendly and helped us with directions to town. The room was clean and normal sized for the B&Bs we stayed at in Ireland. Only two minor complaints. We were in the front of the house and the road noise was noticeable. Also, the pillows were not comfortable. Like I said minor issues. The breakfast was awesome!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick B
Reviewed 18 June 2011

If you're there to stay in Galway and see nothing else in Ireland, I'm not sure even then I could recommend this place. My friend and I were making a trip around Ireland in April and trying to see as much as we could with what time we had. This was our next stop after visiting the Ring of Kerry, so naturally we weren't going to arrive early. We arrived to a cold and unfriendly reception at 9 PM. Given that there were scores of other B&Bs on the way to and all around this B&B, we weren't expecting such a a rude reception. We were excoriated for arriving late while you could look at B&B next door and see a vacancy sign lit up and welcoming late arrivals.

We explained that we had traveled quite a bit that day and couldn't have gotten there earlier and were told we should have done our traveling during the day. I can't imagine anyone looking for paying customers daring to critique their personal decisions like that. We weren't in Ireland to sit in a room. The next morning, my friend unxpectedly got up early for once and had forgotten that the owner had told us breakfast would be at 8AM. He entered the dining room at 7:45 and noticed there wasn't much out and asked the daughter if he could get some tea. I was reprimanded for being there early and the mother and daughter spent the next 20 minutes in the kitchen ranting over his "grievous" action of arriving early. That's not how I want to be greeted or treated during a stay when I part with my hard earned money. It doesn't bode well with the image of friendly Ireland.
And besides that, the room was way too hot and the bathroom was impossible to navigate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank verlyns
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I found Galway to b my least favorite of all cities I've visited and I've traveled everywhere except for northern Ireland. It's very dirty and lacking that Irish charm we all seek on vacation. Seems to be more of a college town. When we drove up to this B&B I didn't want to stop, but we already had reservations. The street was littered with trash and looked like a run down older rental community in the states. We received a very warm welcoming to the B&B, but it smelled like my great grandmas house ( I'm so sorry Mrs. Roncalli). On the plus side we took a day drive out to Kylemore Abbey and it was amazing! I would say if you have a limited time in Ireland skip Galway and stay right around the corner at Fallons B&B in Kinvara. Great little fishing village with castle and traditional music.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We were only in Galway for one night, but we wish we could have stayed longer. The city was great and Roncalli House was great. No issues with water pressure, hot water, or the rooms. Breakfast was delicious and staff were very nice and good at their jobs. If I am ever able to make it back to Ireland I will definitely make more time for Galway and stay at Roncalli.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sigma194
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This house is in the perfect location. City Centre is 10 minutes walk east and the bay is right across the street making access to the walk along the bay as easy as could be. Carmel, the hostess, was delightful and charming. We got to Galway super early (like 10am) and they allowed us to check in immediately. Breakfast was pleasant. There is a garden in the back and a nice sitting room. The beds themselves were comfortable as far as firmness goes, but they were a little wee. It seemed small for a double.

Some of the previous reviewer mentioned noisiness as an issue. We had no problems with that. In fact, we enjoyed being able to look out the window and see people walking along the pier.

As a side note, Galway is a super fun town. We were only there one night, but if we go back to Ireland, we will definitely plan for two in this fun city.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple