“New management doing it right”
Review of Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Escape the hustle and bustle of Galway’s busy shopping streets and enjoy some quality Chinese cuisine in the truly unique and tranquil surroundings of Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant.The restaurant boasts an impressive interior with soaring ceilings and period sash windows. Overlooking busy Shop Street, it has been described by many as one of the best places to sit after your meal and enjoy a glass of wine or cup of coffee while watching the world go by.With its central location, it’s the perfect spot for a quick business meeting, lazy lunch or dinner with friends.Tucked away on the first floor of the landmark Colonial Buildings on Eglinton Street, Ming Garden is a true hidden gem!
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went there just the other night. We have been before and always liked ming garden but our latest vist was the best ever. Staff seemed to be in Great form and the food was superb easily the nicest I have ever had. I would suggest that you bring someone with you when you go here because they might have to roll you out due to being to full to move. Ming garden winner's for me. Keep up the good work everyone involved.

2  Thank eamonnm123
Ming G, Owner at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi Eamonnm123

Thank you for your recent custom and also the kind review. We are delighted you were extremely satisfied with the food and friendly service and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went here at weekend. Portions were very small. I got curry and rice and chips. I had the thing ate in about 3 minutes. Plenty of chicken in the curry but very tight with rice and chips. I ordered tiger beer. The bottle was warm. I couldn't wait to leave. Disappointed.

Ming G, General Manager at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hi Con B. Thanks for the review. I appreciate all reviews positive and not so positive. I am sorry you were not entirely happy with your meal. You mentioned the portions of chips and rice were very small. We use standard measures for both our chips and rice similar to most restaurants so I don’t understand how you can find them small as I don’t know what you are comparing them to. We normally serve our curry with a choice of either chips or rice. Some customers however ask us for both so we give them half a portion of chips and half a portion of rice with their curry. I’m glad you were satisfied with the amount of chicken in your curry.
As regards your comment about the warm beer bottle all we can do is apologise and hope this has not put you off Ming Garden Galway. If you make yourself known to us on your next visit to Galway I will personally look after your order and refund you for the beer.

Regards

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visited this restaurant previously & wasn't too impressed , but today I was in a hurry & hungry & the location suited me to give it another try .

Not a great start when u enter the restaurant & it's 99% empty.

Waited at reception to be seated ?????? On one arrived . Waited another two minutes still no one so I decided to walk toward the back area where I could hear voices " will I seat myself ?? " I enquired.
" NO FOLLOW ME" came a rather abrupt reply & I was frogmarched to a table .

Given a rather confusing Menu which only advertised a 3 course meal . Requested chicken curry & rice .

Food arrived quick enough . Extremely plain , looked like something you would rustle up at home .

Ate the food & went to reception to pay , got a bit of a shock when charged €13 for what I felt was certainly not restaurant standard food & I was still rather hungry

The ambience of the place , the decor , the staff uniforms ( like something from a 1980's hotel ) , friendliness of staff , quality of food , it's all wrong here .

Needs a complete overhaul . MUST DO BETTER .

1  Thank Jumong75

Hi Jumong75 and thanks for the review. As the recently appointed manager of the Ming Garden Galway, I’m sorry to hear you were not entirely happy with your meal at Ming Garden Galway. According to your review you visited the restaurant back in March 2014. Ming Garden Galway has been under new management since the 2nd of April 2014 and unfortunately the previous management are no longer around to respond to your review. However I feel that as the new manager of Ming Garden Galway it is my responsibility to comment on the issues you raised particularly as we have made many changes and improvements to some of the items you raised.
I’m glad you like the location and like many of our customers enjoyed the views of the Galway streets below from our large sash windows.
Regarding your comments on the waiting staff and their attire I can assure you that our current waiting staff are well trained, friendly, courteous and well groomed and attired. We would not employ them otherwise and have a strict uniform policy in place for all staff employed by Ming Garden Galway.
We recently completed a thorough review of all our menus and are currently reviewing final drafts with our printers. We expect to publish these new menus shortly.
You also mentioned the lack of ambience and décor. We have recently began redecorating several areas of the restaurant both inside and out. This process is time consuming as this type of work can only be done outside of business hours. Although not yet complete several of our regular customers have complimented the new decor and other cosmetic changes we’ve made thus far.
We have also received very good feedback from our customers regarding the quality of our food and also the reasonable prices charged.
Finally you stated in your review “This place should & must do better . Great location , great views of Galway's street from its elevated position . This place just doesn't do them justice.”.
This is exactly what I was thinking when we recently took over the management of Ming Garden Galway. As you can see from some of the items I mentioned above we are striving to constantly improve both the service, décor and ambience with a view to Ming Garden achieving its true potential as a top Galway City restaurant.
Regards

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Bland tasteless food, drab lifeless atmosphere, flat soft drinks and left with 'funny tummies'.
My friend and I chose to eat here after being somewhat impressed by the set 2 course menu for € 17.50 which included a soft drink. Our starters were nice enough. My friend had satay chicken and I had a minced pork dish. However our cokes tasted like it was the dregs of a 2 litre budget cola bottle that had been opened last week, flat and odd tasting. My main of Kung Po chicken was edible, probably because of the red chilli which gave it some flavour. My friends sweet and sour chicken consisted of unseasoned balls of stodgy battered chicken smothered in an atomic red coloured sauce devoid of any flavour or taste. A disappointing and below average meal but most worryingly within an hour my friend and I both had to use the toilet to relieve our rumbling stomachs. I can only assume the reason that this place is still going is because of tourists that haven't done their homework are pulled in due to its central location and decent value menu. Like us. I doubt anyone ever goes back.

1  Thank Andrea J
Ming G, Manager at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Andrea,
As the newly appointed manager of the Ming Garden Galway, I would like to sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had at our restaurant. Having read your review, I am appalled by the experience you described. This does not reflect the high standards we hold here at the Ming Garden Galway. In your review, you stated that some of the food was bland and your soft drinks were flat and odd tasting. This, of course, is unacceptable. We have, however, addressed the staff regarding your complaint to ensure that our reputation for good food and service is maintained. On behalf of everyone at the Ming Garden Galway, I would like to extend to you our sincerest apologies hope to see you in our restaurant again soon so we can show you what good food and service really means to us.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Four of us visited Ming Garden and got the early bird special. We were all extremely satisfied with the food, excellent friendly service, the atmosphere and price. I would definitely recommend this place and I will be back again without a doubt.

1  Thank Dave M

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your recent custom and also the kind review. We are delighted you were extremely satisfied with the food, excellent friendly service, atmosphere and value for money. We look forward to seeing you again soon.