“Don't let the bad reviews put you off!”
Review of Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Escape the hustle and bustle of Galway’s busy shopping streets and enjoy some quality Chinese cuisine in the truly unique and tranquil surroundings of Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant.The restaurant boasts an impressive interior with soaring ceilings and period sash windows. Overlooking busy Shop Street, it has been described by many as one of the best places to sit after your meal and enjoy a glass of wine or cup of coffee while watching the world go by.With its central location, it’s the perfect spot for a quick business meeting, lazy lunch or dinner with friends.Tucked away on the first floor of the landmark Colonial Buildings on Eglinton Street, Ming Garden is a true hidden gem!
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Myself and my girlfriend went to Ming garden after spotting it earlier in the day.
We rang for a reservation, and the lady on the phone was very polite,
And nice. We arrived and were greeted by a smiley friendly lady, who
Seated us beside a nice table overlooking the city streets. I noticed she made the
Effort of seating anyone who came in beside the nicest available spots.
Service was very friendly, and quick enough. Starter portions could have been
Slightly bigger, but were delicious. A small glass of coke will cost 2.50, and they didnt leave the can, which is the only real negative i have. Mains were awesome, and nicely presented. Decent size portions this time too. (Sweet crispy chicken with egg fried rice). A little pricey too for what we got, but overall, a nice tasty place, with great food!

Ming G, Owner at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Hi Bacon8rr

Thank you for your recent custom and also the kind review. We are delighted you were extremely satisfied with the food, friendly staff, good customer service and welcome you received when visiting our restaurant. I will pass on both your comments and compliments to the service staff and chefs and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Hungry for something other than Irish pub grub and hungry for Asian, my husband and I spotted this restaurant from the street. The climb upstairs was worth the effort for the view looking outside the window and down the street. We arrived right at 6:30 pm and wanted to order the a Early Bird Special for 17:50 Euro. We were the only guests in the dining room for the first 15 minutes - had us worried if we had made a bad choice. Service was very slow & had to ask for everything two or three times - class of ice, chop sticks, hot tea, the bill. DH had beef Szechaun and I had chicken Malaysian Satay. Both were hot and HOT, but very flavorful. The rice was nice and sticky-dry, not soggy-mushy. His Wonton soup was delicious as was my chicken-prawn Thai something soup was excellent. No one ever asked if our food was OK or if we needed anything. Being from Tennessee, USA, I'm just used to warmer, more attentive service.

1  Thank TravelDiva001
Ming G, Owner at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hi TravelDiva001
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant. We’re glad you enjoyed the view from our windows overlooking the streets below. We apologise for the service not being up to our usual high standards. We take customer service very seriously and are currently investigating the issues you described with a view to ensuring they do not occur again.
We’re delighted you were impressed with the quality of the food you ordered and promise to look after you next time you visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Terrible service. We were a party of 8. 4 ordered spring rolls, two vegetarian and two duck. They were unable to tell us which spring rolls were which, we had to cut them open to find out what we were eating. One of them turned out to b pork which we didnt order at all. They cleared the table after the starters before one of the girls had received her veggie spring roll. They are unable to tell us which curry dish was yellow curry or which was green curry. They ran out of the two different types of wine we were drinking( we only had three bottles of wine all were different) one of the bottles was corked. They gave us filthy dirty plates with incrusted food on them. Food was good but Never again the staff were not friendly it was not that busy ether.

5  Thank proftadv

Dear proftadv
Thanks for taking the time to write a review even if it comes across as being overly negative and some of it hard to believe. However we shall respond to your comments as best we can below.
1. Regarding the mix-up with the spring rolls all we can do is apologise once again. Mistakes do unfortunately happen. Our staff are human after all and race week is our busiest time of the year.
2. Regarding not being able to tell the difference between yellow and green curry I’m afraid we can’t help you with your vision and suggest you see an optician.
3. Regarding running out of wine all we can do is apologise once again. Unfortunately this was caused by an error in our wine suppliers ordering system which resulted in our wine order not being delivered.
4. Regarding the comments about the filthy dirty plates with incrusted food on them I really find this hard to believe as all our plates are hand washed first before being put through a hot dishwasher. I don’t know about you but if I was handed food on a dirty plate I wouldn’t eat it and certainly wouldn’t write on trip advisor saying the food was good. Please see point 2 above regarding seeing an optician.
5. Regarding the comments made about our staff being unfriendly I refute this as it is the friendliness and good customer service of our staff that brings customers back. Please see some of the other reviews here which support my view.
6. Regarding the comment about the restaurant not being busy I find very hard to believe as it was race week here in Galway with approximately 250,000 visitors here for the races. This is and always has been our busiest week of the year. Please see point 2 above regarding seeing an optician.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We ran across this restaurant which is on the first floor, up the stairs. We were very very impressed with the decor of the restaurant- quite fancy, but still comfortable. The food was good- we had quite a few dishes. Very nice service too.

A good choice if you are craving Chinese.

2  Thank James M

Dear JPM
Thanks for the kind review. We’re delighted you were impressed with the comfort and décor of our dining room and the good food and service. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The decor and ambiance was nice.The service was good and the food arrived promptly;it was hot and well prepared.I had Chicken Satay for starters and honestly it was the best chicken satay I ever tasted.Also had Singapore noodles for main,and that was tasty and well presented too.
My companion had Thai green curry;excellent.
I enjoyed my lunch,have no complaints and will definitely go back there.

Ming G, Owner at Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Touristbee 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our restaurant. Were delighted you enjoyed the service, ambience and excellent food. I will pass on your compliments to both the service staff and chefs and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards