“Authentic Irish farm visit with all the details!”
Review of Rathbaun Farm

Rathbaun Farm
Ranked #30 of 140 things to do in Galway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Rathbaun Farm is a picturesque farmhouse in Ardrahan County Galway, where you will be taken on a journey through Irish farming practices. With its traditional thatched cottage, turf fire, stonewalls, and array of animals, Rathbaun has become one of Ireland's most cherished destinations since the family began welcoming guests in the 1980s. Visitors are invited to hand feed the new lambs which are in plentiful supply between March and November. The barns are home to a wide variety of animals and the extensive covered areas ensure you can enjoy the farm in any weather. Fintan Connolly will describe the different attributes of the various breeds of sheep and cattle and will ensure your visit is both interesting and relaxing. Frances and her team will welcome you into the cottage for some truly Irish hospitality--home baked and freshly prepared scones, soda breads and preserves along with the best pot of Irish tea you're likely to experience anywhere in the country. The family enjoy nothing more than having a chat over tea and scones and swapping stories with guests. There is ample car and coach parking. Visits to the farm during Friday afternoon open hours can be booked on our website. Please telephone in advance if requesting to visit outside of our open hours.
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

I went as part of a Globus tour and was so pleased with my experience. The farm is a working farm and doesn't feel like a tourist stop at all. I learned a bit about the livestock industry in Ireland, saw a sheep get sheared, my nephew fed a baby lamb, and then we watched the farmer's Collie round up the sheep. The visit ended with some fresh baked scones and tea as well as the opportunity to walk through the downstairs of their thatched roof farmhouse, complete with a peat-burning fireplace. It ended up pouring rain towards the end but 95% of the activities were under the cover; if they hadn't have been it still would have been worth it. I would recommend this to everyone I know, especially those with kids who enjoy farms and animals. Not sure what the opportunities are for smaller groups, but do look into it! Again, I can't recommend this high enough; many thanks to the owners, I had such an enjoyable visit!

2  Thank WanderingGnome87

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My friend and I enjoyed making scones with Frances, but we expected and had paid for a chance to see sheep sheared and the dog herding the sheep. Due to another party being late we were
not given the opportunity to see the shearing or dog herding. We were disappointed by owners attitudes.

1  Thank jgwehrer
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We really enjoyed visiting this farm. The owners fed us a homemade snack and then shared information about their farm. We saw a sheep dog herding the sheep and saw and felt the sheared wool. It was a learning experience and interesting too.

2  Thank DCHHopkins_SC
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We visited the farm, had scones and tea with homemade creme and preserves. The farmer had his dog round up sheep for us. We got to see several types of sheep and learn why certain breds are raised here. Interesting to learn that the money is in the meat, the wool doesn't pay enough to break even when sherred.

1  Thank carolkParadise
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My father and I visited Rathbaun Farm on a Globus Tour in May-June 2011 and had an enjoyable stay. The grounds are gorgeous and the 150 year old thatched roof home is beautifully preserved and a wonder to see. Frances and Fintan Connolly run the farm. Fintan tending to the sheep and Frances (the boss in my opinion) organizing the tours and taking care of every detail imaginable. We took a tour of the barn where the sheep and lambs live in stalls. Plenty of good picture taking opportunities. If you don't like farm livin' and farm smells then this might not be for you but it's worth it to get over your smell aversion. Fintan educates visitors on the daily farming activities and the sheep hearding dog gives a fun display of his work. Fintan also allows a few people to bottle feed the lambs and sheers one sheep. Yes...down to the naked skin. After the farming education we were treated to unimaginably delicious scones (in the 150 year old thached roof home full of Irish antiques) made by Frances accompanied by fresh butter, cream, preserves, and Irish Tea. It's a farm and there are flat pathways everywhere so people in wheelchairs are accomodated. The bathroom was impecably clean. What a highlight this was and I highly recommend you go visit this farm and the gracious Connolly's.

7  Thank cocbrdt