“The rudest man in Ireland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galway
Salthill Caravan Park
Ranked #41 of 58 Speciality Lodging in Galway
Drogheda
“The rudest man in Ireland”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed at this site last year and found the location to be excellent. The kids really enjoyed it. It was fairly quiet and we had a lovely pitch looking out over the sea. Decided to go back again last weekend. Rang during the week but was told they don't take bookings. Hmm, strange. A deposit would secure and could be non refundable to ensure people turn up.

Even stranger is that this site deals only in cash, no cards, and provides no receipts.

Arrived on saturday and paid for one night only. We were lead to our pitch which was tiny and crammed in between a caravan with awning and another pitch. If this pitch was taken up later, we would have had no space either side of our camper. We looked around the site and there were a number of empty pitches so we asked to change. We were told that they were all booked by regulars !! Funny as we had been told during the week that they took no bookings.

I pointed out that there were empty pitches and that the pitch we had was extremely cramped. I also pointed out that i was here last year and asked what I needed to do to become a regular (memories of nightclub thug bouncers come to mind !)? I pointed out that the pitch we had was unsafe for our kids to which I was told if I don't like it then I could leave. When I suggested I might just move to one of the empty pitches it was made very clear that force would be used against me.

The owner has made improvements to the site and it does look clean. The pitches have been upgraded and the view from most of them is spectacular but the campers and caravans are crammed in with very little space between them. For example, there was a row of campers parked in front of the row of hardstanding pitches. If all pitches were taken up, the front row would not be able to get out without some movement by others. This is not acceptable when we were being charged €33 for the 5 of us, without awning or showers !!

My recommendation, if you have older kids, is to save your money and park at the Docks where there is hook up available (€4 parking and €4 hook up). Better still, head out to Spiddal for the fabulous beaches and free parking.

If you are happy with zero customer service which is rude, ignorant and threatening then this is the place to stay. For us we will never stay here again and will be telling all our friends also. Such a pity as we were looking forward to becoming "regulars" !!!

3 Thank LaikaX700

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tyrone
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was our first visit to Salthill Caravan Park and my first experience of camping. We arrived around 6pm on Saturday evening and luckily we got booked in. We stayed for 2 nights and loved every minute of it. The site is very well maintained and the children's play area, showers, toilets, laundry room and wash up area were very clean. Sean the owner/ manager makes you very welcome. Once the office closes at 10pm a security man is on site until the morning leaving the campsite very safe to stay on and ensures the campsite is very peaceful and everyone gets a good night's sleep. There is free WIFI, but unfortunately it wasn't working over the weekend but we didn't mind. We will definitely be back and hopefully for longer.

sean o, Owner at Salthill Caravan Park, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Hi reviewer
thank you for your kind words and we hope you enjoyed your stay
see you again soon
regards sean
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was our second visit to Salthill Caravan Park, my Northern Irish friends and I are now making it an annual meeting place. We stayed for 10 days this trip and loved every minute of it. The site has been landscaped and new tar-macadam put down since our first visit, It has a very well maintained children's play area and the showers, toilets, laundry room and wash up area were pristine, Sean the owner/ manager went out of his way to make our stay a great one. There is 24 hour security which is an added bonus and so peaceful that a good night's sleep was had by all, we made some lovely friends there and looking forward to a return trip in 2014. Nearly forgot to mention that there is free WIFI,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
sean o, Owner at Salthill Caravan Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Hi reviewer
thank you for the wonderful review and on behalf of myself and my wife and head receptionist kay we look foward to your return
regards sean
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I'm sure the reviews of this caravan site are accurate but you should be aware that the campsite is just an add on and not part of the main site - it is actually on the approach road and outside the gates of the site, it is a smallish field that can hold about 10 family tents comfortably, with no services that I could see unless you walk out onto the road and on into the actual site. It is open to the access / public road - not at all secure in my opinion and I would not feel happy sleeping there overnight with children or leaving the tent etc (they have a remote camera in the site office which does not compensate enough in my opinion to having the camping pitches actually inside the site).
I was very disappointed and did not stay for the above reasons and would not consider it again - pity...

Room Tip: With a caravan or campervan I'm sure its a good choice, camping - not recommended for families a...
2 Thank davecarroll01

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have stayed there a few times over the last few years and found it to be a nice campsite but was not happy when I tried to book a place for 2 campervans for this August Bank holiday weekend. I was told they don't take bookings in July or August, it's on a 1st come 1st serve basis. That's not much good when you have a small child and drive for 4 hours late in the evening to get to the campsite to find that it's full! I even offered to pay up-front for the places so they would not be out of pocket and was still not allowed. Does not make sense!

Won't be staying there again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helly4711
sean o, Owner at Salthill Caravan Park, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
On another note you are reviewing my park and you have not even stayed here yet im disappointed that you these are my rules my business
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

My family and I just stayed here for 10 days. We had a great time. The site was always clean and well maintained. It was staffed from early in the morning until late at night and then security took over.

Showers and toilets were clean, but you pay for the shower and they close at 9:30pm.

There's plenty of space on the pitch for you caravan, awning and car. Water and electric points are well placed and each tarmac pitch has its own waste water drain.

We were very happy with the site, but I didn't like having to pay for hot water in the "Campers Kitchen". We had already payed for a family of 5, an awning and electricity which was not a small amount of money. So I feel paying extra for hot water, which I have never seen on any site I've stayed in before, is just a bit too much.

• Stayed July 2013
sean o, Owner at Salthill Caravan Park, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Hi reviewer
thank you for lovely review hope to see you soon and enjoy your holiday
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just spent a week in the caravan park and it is the best park that i have stayed in. It is clean and the facilites are very good. The park has been landscaped and with new kerbs and tarmacadam it is spotless. There is also WIFI in the park