“Its not shabby chic, its just shabby”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Ennis County Clare
“Its not shabby chic, its just shabby”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I would have recommended this Hotel to friends and family , but after my last stay ?. Booked in and was offer an upgrade for a twin room on the 5th Floor for an extra 50 euros as we had points.checked in to room 514 , which was made up as a double. The balcony has a great view of the A/C units. But we were only there for one night so not a big problem. As I had been here before I went to check out the Executive lounge and business centre. The lounge was open I walk in but it was being used for storage of mattresses and furniture . The business centre was locked. The doors scuff and general appearance scruffy. I asked a reception about it and was informed " Oh I think they're doing away with it and turning it into a bedroom". I learned since through their website that it was closed. But was not told at booking nor when we were offer the 50 euro upgrade to the floor.As the room was made up for a double, we decided to walk into town give house keeping time to fix the room. On are return the room was still made up as a double . Rang reception said they'd sent someone up. So we decided to go the leisure centre. I needed a locker was told 5 euros or room card . The pool was clean and well kept ,but the sauna has seen better days with the wood on the seat need replacing .On leaving my room card was returned which operate the lift to the 5th Floor. It wouldn't work the lift and I had to go to reception in a dressing-gown and slippers to get a replacement card. On arrival back to the room we found that all was changed with the double bed was they had taken of the double quilt and put two single on the double mattress. They knew when we checked in we wanted a twin , we asked house keeping for a twin. Now we were going to ask a third time. Final a women arrived from house keeping and made up the room as a twin. Later she knock the door and handed me two chocolates and a weather update I guess that was the turn down service. The room itself was well appointed and other parts of the hotel were to the usual high standards like breakfast etc.

Room Tip: If you want a twin order three days in advance and get it in writing. 514 looks out onto A/C units
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordintor at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the areas where we let you down during your recent vist.

We are indeed undergoing an extensive refurbishment of the 5th Floor, this however should not have had a negative affect on your experience. I apologise that you were not informed of this fact when you were checking in and indeed before you choose to upgrade to level 5. I will speak to our Front Office manager about this fact and ensure that this does not occur in the future.

I would also like to let you know that we will be doing a complete renovation on the sauna in the leisure centre which will be completed in the next 8 weeks and I am sorry you felt the facility was not at the expected standard.

I would like to go through the details of your stay in further detail and follow up with each of the relevant departments. I would really appreciate if you would give us this opportunity and contact me directly. My email address is sarah.omhony@radissonblu.com.

Again I do offer my sincere apologies for our shortcomings and hope to hear from you in the near future to discuss further.

Sarah O Mahony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a two night weekend for a hen party. The rooms were very comfortable and modern ... The beds are so soft! Short distance from the main areas in Galway City which is ideal for hen weekend. The breakfast was fab.... Huge selection of food in the main restaurant. Staff were very nice and accommodating. Cocktails were very nice in the bar... Lovely atmosphere. We spent afternoon in the thermal suite which is at a reduced rate for hotel guests! This is money well spent. It is one of the best thermal suites I have experienced. Planning a quiet weekend in the hotel very soon.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review of our hotel.

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the property.

It is great to hear that you plan to return to the hotel. I hope that your quiet weekend break is just as enjoyable.

Dunshaughlin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night for a conference and found it to be a nice comfortable hotel.
I found the check in staff very gruff and surprisingly had very little English.
This seemed to be a general feeling and vibe given by the staff.
The food was alright.
I would not be in a rush to return.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We always strive to offer a very high standard of customer service and I am so surprised to read that you did not have that experience during your recent stay

I would like the opportunity to look further into the issues that you have brought to our attention and would really appreciate if you could tell me a bit more about your visit. My email address is sarah.omahony@radissonblu.com and would be delighted if you would contact me directly.

I hope you hear from you in the near future.

Clare, Ireland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Very comfortable stay.Breakfast was lovely.Great central location, city centre and shops all within walking distance.Hotel staff very helpful,friendly and nice.After check-in staff minded our bags while we went shopping.Very comfortable stay.Breakfast was lovely.Great central location, city centre and shops all within walking distance.Hotel staff very helpful,friendly and nice.After check-in staff minded our bags while we went shopping.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this kind review.

I will be sure to pass it onto our entire team.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

The Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

On our third return visit to the Radisson, I had made my mind up never to return to the hotel again within two minutes of checking in. I was met by a very condescending, unhelpful member of staff. I phoned hotel the night before we arrived to check that everything was in order with our booking. Our young son was travelling with us and I requested a cot for our room. I also asked, as it was our third time returning and my husband was booked in for a further weekend in March, if there was any possibility of an upgrade. I was advised that an upgrade would not be possible but that I would be given a sea view room. I was happy that an effort would be made and our loyalty to the hotel would be rewarded.
Upon check-in at 1:00pm I was advised that no sea view room was available and a cot was not available either but that I could have a room without a sea view. I was told that I could upgrade to Business Class for an additional cost of €20 per night, which I declined, as we had already paid €279 for our two nights (so much for not having an upgrade available)!!
The check-in person asked me if I had a loyalty card and advised that I would be eligible for a free upgrade if I had a certain number of stays on the card (I think he said 10 but I'm not 100% sure). He then proceeded to totally annoy me by telling me that I would be starting from scratch and that my previous stays would not be taken into account if he gave me the card. I declined the offer.
Our room overlooked the Revenue Commissioners! and was very cramped when the travel cot and son's buggy were in there - not at all suitable as it was not possible to walk around the bed without literally having to squeeze past the cot and the bed.
Overall our treatment and couldn't-care-less attitude by the member of reception staff left us feeling disappointed and we agreed we would not return to the Radission Galway. It's nice when your loyal custom is appreciated and when a small effort is made to give a little extra.
There are plenty of other hotels in Galway and we will be looking for another 'home away from home' where our custom is appreciated.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank joanieponyTheKingdom
Dear Guest,

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. The feedback that we receive from our guests is of the highest importance to us and I would like to assure you that I will bring each of your points to the attention of our management team.

We always try to reward our repeat guests loyalty to us and I am sorry that this did not happen on this occasion.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you had and would ask you to contact me directly should you wish to return to our hotel. I would be delighted to personally take care of your booking and ensure that you received the standard of service expected and deserve.

Again many thanks and best wishes,

sarah.omahony@radissonblu.com
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Have stayed here many times and it always perfect. Arrived on Monday for two nights, parked in underground carpark - guests get a discounted rate of 5 euros per night. Location of the property is ideal as its only a few minutes walk into the city centre. We were checked in by Lisa-Marie, and made feel at home. Our room was the usual high standards of the Radisson group with lovely views over the bay. We unpacked and headed down the city centre for a walk and coffee - Galway is a beautiful city with a great atmosphere. We came back to the hotel and were getting ready for meeting friends for dinner when we realised that we had no hot water in our room - it wasn't even luke warm. I rang reception and spoke to Colm, he advised that he would send the engineer up to have a look. Half an hour had pasted and no sign of anyone and time was moving on as we both still needed to shower. I rang Colm again and within minutes both Colm and the engineer arrived to our room. The engineer said that there was a problem and it wasn't a simple fix - so I asked to be room moved. Colm went to see what he could do - 15 minutes later he was back with keys to another room. This is were Colm gets a massive thank-you - as he upgraded us to one of their newly fitted out Suites on the Executive 5th floor. It was totally bliss - he showed us to the room, helped with luggage and explained all the technology stuff there too. So we quickly got sorted and heading out for dinner. The next day we had booked some Spa treatments - so we headed down for our two course lunch in the bar area just of the lobby. It was a hot buffet style lunch with many salad options which suited us both and was delightful. So off we went down till the Spirit One Spa - checked in by Aisling and kitted with robes and slippers we hit the Thermal Suite - total bliss. Time pasted so quickly and the next thing it was 4pm and Maria was calling me for my Hot Stone massage. This is where Maira gets a massive thank-you - she had me totally chilled and relaxed. I would strongly recommend her if booking a Hot Stone massage there. I hope to be back soon. So now feeling totally chilled we headed back to our room to rest up and freshen up for dinner. Dinner is the restaurant was perfect - both in quaility of food and service we recieved. This is also the restaurant that you have breakfast in - lovely views over the bay from here. So after a fantastic stay here we headed down to check-out. Colm checked us out and wished us on our way. So if your thinking about staying in Galway or are staying in Galway - without any doubt this is one of the best hotels the City has to offer. Thanks again guys for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Executive 5th Floor - you'll not be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HolidaySunshine30
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.

I am so sorry that you experienced these issues with your hot water but I am delighted to read that our staff were able rectify the situation and offer you a suite on Level 5. These rooms really are fabulous.

It is also great to read that you had time to enjoyed our restaurant and spa during your stay. It is always good to know that our guests have left us with great memories and with plans to return.

I will pass all your kind words onto our staff members, they will also be thrilled to here that your stay was so enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Galway .

Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

well placed for the city. Near to all attractions in Galway High level of service. expected from Radisson group. As I was using my points I expected to be offered business class. not so. A little then comparable hotels in the area, but good value Excellent breakfast, and bar food. Good size rooms. Music could be better but suitable for the venue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will plan a return visit very soon.