“Shocking customer service”

The Galmont Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel last night for one night. The room was nice and the bar was very comfortable. My problem with this hotel started at 1.15 am last night when I used the public toilets. They were very dirty and no toilet roll in the toilets. There was paper towels all around the floor and the sink unit. I told the two gentlemen who were working on the reception that the toilets were very dirty and needed to be cleaned immediately. One of the gentlemen told me he will see to it. I told him that the hotel wasn't that busy in the bar area for the toilets to be in such bad condition. He said they were very busy in the hotel. I visit the toilet again at 2.25 am to find the place in exactly the same condition. Nobody had checked the toilet after I told them. There was a glass there on the sink unit the first time I noticed
the state of the place and the same glass was there the next time. I went back up to the reception and he said that the cleaners were busy. Very unimpressed with me for being annoying is how I read the manners of the staff. This morning on check out I said it to the receptionist and she got the manager. Mr Patrick Nolan came out to speak to me regarding my problem. I was told that they were short staffed and that they had a very busy night last night as there was a function taking place in the hotel. Thy had no female staff member to go into the toilet with the cleaners so they had to wait. This is the most ridiculous excuse I ever heard. There was a female bartender working in the public bar that wasn't that busy who could have gone into check the condition of the toilet. Why should we put up with paying high price to stay in a hotel and then have to use dirty toilets and badly mannered staff and manager. I am not happy with the way I was treated by the three staff members that I spoke to regarding this issue. Not acceptable to have a bad level of cleanliness in a well branded hotel such as this.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Denisechristine
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I agree that the bathrooms were not in a acceptable condition when you used them and I apologise that this issue was not immediately rectified.

I will bring this information to the attention of our Hotel House Keeping Manager and ensure that a similar issue does not arise during large events in the future.

I do apologise that this experience had such a negative effect on your stay and can assure you that this is not the standard that we strive for at this hotel.

I hope that this will not deter you from visiting the property in the future and hope that we will have the opportunity to reassure you of the high standards that we aim for in every area but which unfortunately were not reached on this occasion.

Again thank you for your constructive feedback, it is very important to us.

Sarah O Mahony

Write a ReviewReviews (2,682)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Radisson Blu in Galway is a place I've stayed at occasionally down the years and a place I always come back to if I visit the city by the sea.
On a recent visit I found the staff are welcoming, the room was lovely with a view to Lough Atalia and furniture and fittings always clean and fresh.
Only gripe: our room had a minibar and espresso machine (nice touch). However, the minibar is not routinely stocked and is only done so on request. While this is likely the hotel's response to theft, it is not a customer-friendly gesture by any stretch.
The lobby and bar are quiet and pleasant places to read a book or dine casually.
The hotel is well run, well staffed and located 5 minutes' walk from the railway/ bus station in the city and only minutes away from Eyre Square and the heart of the action. We had a nutritious breakfast in the restaurant and met family for a tasty and varied lunch buffet in the bar in the afternoon. Simple and tasty fare.
The Radisson is not cheap, but a pleasant base in Galway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordfinator at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review of our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is always a great compliment when our guests choose to return time and time again.

I will bring your thoughts regarding our mini bar service to our management team for consideration going forward. It is always great to get this feedback from our guests as it helps us to improve our service.

I hope that we will be welcoming you back very soon.

Sarah

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and 4 month old daughter, on a Sunday and Monday night. We had a wonderful stay, commencing with a warm greeting and smile at reception, and continued in the same vane.
Our room had a wonderful view of the bay, and had a marvelous bed which was huge and extremely comfortable. our roon on the 2nd floor (223) had no noise what so ever.
Breakfast was very relaxed, excellent service, not rushed whatsoever. Must make mention of Zoltan, who was excellent indeed, a credit to the hotel. Excellent selection, and only too helpful to get extra items such a poached eggs and fresh pancakes which my wife felt were the nicest she has ever tasted!! We also asked to take our tea out onto the outside patio which was accommodated without question. Only comment would be that hot food was perhaps too dry, and for 5-star better quality/selectively sourced.
We ate in the marinas restaurant on our first night and food was lovely, very reasonable 3-course with tea/coffee for 30 euro. Ate room service 2nd night-satisfactory.
Pool was nice. Had a small childs pool which we enjoyed with our daughter. Didn't use big pool, nor indoor jacuzzi as requires cap. Sauna nice, but unfortunately no steam room. Outdoor jacuzzi was fabulous-sunny Tuesday morning overlooking the bay with the steam rising- couldn't have been bettered anywhere in the world!!

A mention to Paddy on reception-very helpful, nothing too much, excellent customer service. Our experience contradicts any of the previous reviews protraying the customer service at this hotel negatively.

I agree with a previous review that the outside patio could do with a gentle clean in some areas, but this a slight point, but none the less my wife made passing comment. Overall this would not detract me from going back to repeat our wonderful experience. We will be back!!

From a seasoned traveller, and who has experienced all ranges of customer service.

Conal

Room Tip: Bay view-this is a must
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BelfastTravelDoctor
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordintor at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this informative review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a positive experience at our hotel and that you would like to return in the future.

I will take all of your constructive feedback to the attention of our management team and make sure that every effort is made to make the improvements you have suggested.

We will look forward to your next visit.

Again many thanks & best wishes,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Myself and my husband are just home from a weekend break at The Radisdon Blu, Galway. After driving up from Cork, we arrived at the hotel at 1.45pm to be told that our room wouldn't be ready til 3pm. The girl at reception kindly took our bags and we headed down to the centre of the town ( 5 min walk) for a while. Room was ready on arrival back and was clean and spacious. I must say- the bed was huge and the most comfortable bed I ever slept in!!!
The only bad thing I have to say and this would prevent me from going back there was they there was No Atmosphere around the hotel at all. We stayed in the hotel to eat on the last night as the weather was atrocious. We ate in the bar area at 8.30pm and the food was lovely but there was no background music. At about 9.30pm, a guy started playing tunes on the piano but they were so boring ( no singing and not a bit lively) , that we left as did a few more people and headed to our room with a bottle of wine. It was the Easter break and there were families around- surely something a bit more lively would have been better suited .

• Stayed: April 2014
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at The Galmont Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback of your recent stay with us.

I really appreciate you offering this valid feedback and I will be sure to bring this to the attention of your Bar Manager.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay and hope that this will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Many thanks & best wishes,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Mother & daughter experience in both hotel and spa was wonderful. Hot stone full body massage highly recommended in spa.Dinner superb in Marinas restaurant. Breakfast in bed arrived at exactly time on order. Wonderful hotel in wonderful Galway, cant wait to visit again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that your next visit will be very soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Never having been to Galway it was difficult to know the right hotel to choose, but we definitely choose correctly with the Radisson Blu. From Sean in reservations who was just fantastic, (thanks for all your help and advice Sean) to check in staff and bar staff alike - all made our stay perfect. The hotel itself is in perfect location. Within minutes of all the city sights, sounds, bars and restaurants yet an oasis to relax after a long day with a soak on the outdoor hottub and a drink in the well tended bar. The Easter egg left for my daughter in her bed was a lovely touch too. We will definitely be back here again. The only downside was that we had a fantastic business class room with a fantastic view but with a roll away bed for our daughter it made it a little cramped. Would definitely opt for a family room next time.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Spjohnston

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise that you felt you were little cramped and would definitely recommend a family room for your next visit. Our family rooms do offer guests a lot more space.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The bedrooms were spotless. The beds so very comfy. The staff were wonderful and very welcoming. Sheer luxury at an affordable price. Can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet..It was on the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this very kind review.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look forward to your next visit.