“Rated as a 5 star, but an average disappointing 3 star”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Paris, France
“Rated as a 5 star, but an average disappointing 3 star”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist, given our hotel room no. And key card. When asked about our spa treatment we were told that we would have to enquire with the spa. Our spa treatments were average and under the time frame given. The outdoor got tub (which was a huge attraction when we were booking the hotel) was out of order & no one could tell us when it would be fixed. We were very disappointed. The thermal suite was enjoyable and our bedroom was clean but one would expect this from a 5 star. We decided to have dinner in the hotel instead of heading down town. We wait 1 hour 15 mins for our food, which we ended up leaving as we were heading to a concert. The staff told us repeatedly every 15 mins it would be here soon. To make matters worse we order a sandwich and burger. Absolute basics. To say I am disappointed is a complete under statement. It was my birthday weekend & had been looking forward to it for a long time. Definitely no more than an average 3 star with all their school boy errors

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LittleMiss222
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am really disappointed to read that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. I do apologise that the hot tub was out of order and that this had such a negative impact on your experience.

I would also like to offer my sincere apologies for the delay you experienced in our Restaurant. I will bring this issue to the attention of our management team as this is not the 4 star standard that we strive for.

I hope that you will not be deterred from visiting the hotel in the future.

Sarah O Mahony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
falkirk
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Prebooked this hotel for location in galway while touring ireland, don't think we could gave got better.
We arrived early but were very warmly welcomed, allocated a perfect room on the first floor overlooking the bay.
Used the swimming pool daily, so relaxing first thing in the morning.
Service overall in this hotel excellent.

Room Tip: To the front for the views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. and I hope that you will choose to returning the future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back .

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a very good quality 4* hotel in an excellent location (5 minutes from Eyre Square). The rooms were reasonably spacious and airy, lovely bed linen, good breakfast buffet, cheap car parking of €5 per night, good size swimming pool and spa facility. Only drawback for me is that the free wifi coverage didn't reach my room - could only get it by sitting by the door which wasn't ideal.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you had such a enjoyable stay with us.

I would like to investigate the issues you had with your wifi as this should not have been the case. If at all possible would you mind contacting me directly with your booking details so that I can ask our engineering team check the connection in your room .

My direct email is: sarah.omahony@radissonblu.com.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed with my husband for a long weekend at the beginning of June. The location is perfect since we were visiting from Dublin and arrived by bus, the station is across the road from the hotel so couldn’t be handier. Our room was great and I was impressed by the huge and comfortable bad. Once arrived I went straight to the spa which I don’t recall being there when I visited last time (a long time ago). Being a hotel guest you pay less for admission: only 20€ and you can stay as long as you want. Absolutely worth it, I simply adored it as much as I went the following day as well. On the third day I attended a yoga class (free again if you stay at the hotel!) which was really good and I also used their gym which was perfect. Then I relaxed in their pool and indoor/outdoor whirlpool, a great treat!
All in all a perfect weekend and I’m looking forward to visiting again very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordintor at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to experience both spirit one spa and spirit one fitness & leisure and enjoyed both so much.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed Friday and Saturday night for the Galway Film Festival July 2014.

Positives:
Check-in was quick. Bedroom was a good size and we had a view over the water. Bathroom was decent and products were of good quality. Bed and linens were comfortable. Good selection of food for breakfast. Location is very good and is just behind Eyre square and to the side of the bus/train station area of the city.

Negatives:
Bar/lounge staff were very slow. Considering that the Film Festival (and probably the Galway Races) would be the busiest times for the hotel - more staff (with experience) should have been working. For example, the bar tenders were very slow and inefficient. I ordered a cocktail and the bar tender had to look up (and follow) the list of alcohols that the cocktail contained. It was obvious that they had never made cocktails before. Later in the evenings when the bar was busy it was typical to see 3-4 people deep waiting to be served. Management need to put more staff on to reduce the waiting times, especially during busy periods. The Galway Film Fest is an annual event - so it is not an unanticipated influx of people.

Food service in the bar/lounge area was very slow. We ate in the lobby on both Friday and Saturday. It took over 40 minutes for our food to arrive (club sandwich style food) and at the time the lobby was not busy as it was mid-late afternoon. Food can only be described as 'ok'.

A major cause for concern, however, was a very suspicious wet stain (with food particles) under the table next to ours. It looked like either a full dinner had been spilled or someone was ill. Either way it was badly cleaned up. It was quite large and very obvious. Staff appeared to be doing nothing to take care of it. So I flagged down a waitress and let her know - she shrugged her shoulders and said: " I dont know what that is, I only came on at 3pm'. As if that was an acceptable excuse! It was now 5.50pm. She walked off and did nothing. I flagged down another waitress, who at least went over and examined the carpet, moved some chairs around etc. She 'solved' it by placing a napkin over the stain and then putting a chair over that. She left the area. A guest then proceeded to sit down at the same table. About 20 minutes past, he ordered a drink and had food coming. A duty cleaner came out - said nothing to the man at the table - and made an attempt to clean up. He was looking at her quizzically all the way through.

I find the above really quite gross. I dont care what star a hotel is - if there is a spill (or something worse) then that needs to be properly cleaned before the area is active again. Absolutely poor standard of hygiene. Management need to address this with staff.

On Saturday night when we returned to the hotel at about 11pm, a sign 'residents only' had appeared at the entrance to the lobby lounge/bar area. No big deal as we were residents. However, the security man at the entrance to the area had a list of room numbers and was checking peoples names. His demeanor was surly to say the least - more training is needed to improve this persons interaction style with paying guests. Not good enough.

Room Tip: 2nd floor - odd numbers - good views over the water
1 Thank DubWoman1979
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel .

I would like to apologise for the issues that you encounters during your stay with us. As you correctly pointed out these are issues that need to be address and I would like to assure you that I will bring each of them to the attention of our management team.

Again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the area in which we did not meet your expectation. I hope that should you return in the future you will have a more positive stay and experience the high level of service that we strive to offer each of our guests.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed one night on a business trip, was impressed on check in as hotel is very modern and clean and loved my free upgrade to executive suite. Suite had beautiful views and terrace. Room was huge with nespresso machine with free capsules.
2mins from train station, 5 mins from eyre square and shop street.
Breakfast was yummy too!

Room Tip: view of the bay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Coordinator at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted to read such positive comments.

I hope that you will be back to the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway very soon.

Dublin, Ireland.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I love staying here because the swimming pool has warm comfortable changing rooms, a steam room, an indoor and an outdoor jacuzzi. That means no matter what I start the day with a little exercise and a little pampering. If you want to pay extra there's a great spa for treatments. hotel prices but you're paying for the surroundings.
There's a great sushi restaurant on the fourth floor and the breakfast selection is huge. Besides the buffet which is just a cornucopia, they will cook you porridge or omelettes or anything kind of eggs your heart desires.
The lunch menu is not so great. It's surprising that all the sandwiches are made with processed meats and the bar and restaurant staff are hit and miss - some are charming, others surly. reception staff and management are always great.

Even if your room doesn't have a sea view, there's a beautiful terrace overlooking Lough Atalia where you can lunch or have a drink.

Room Tip: A sea view is ideal but you don't need it. Rooms in the annexe have no AC but this only affects...
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this informative review of our hotel.

I delighted to read that you had the opportunity to try out our leisure facilities during your stay. The outdoor hot tub is always a great way to start the day.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.