“Clean small rooms, good location, but very noisy”

Prairie House-Boutique Hotel
Ranked #44 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This place is not really a hotel, much more accurate to say a b and b.

The rooms are very small but nice and clean. The lad who showed me the room was very friendly and courteous.

The shower was excellent.

There is no foyer or bar in this hotel, not even a reception area,just the small room.

Its located in a good area, but my room appeared to be above a busy bar. Clientele were singing outside uuntil 1 A.M._

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Booked this hotel as a treat before going away for work and was very much looking forward to it. However, when we arrived to check in Tomas, the duty manager was unable to find our booking in his records. I showed him the email confirmation of booking and we were then left to stand outside while he "looked in to the matter." Eventually he came to us to tell us they were overbooked but that there was a free space in a B&B "down the road." No explanation was given to us as to how it happened beyond telling us a group had just been checked in.
Tomas went from being mildly rude and bored of us to extremely rude and eager for us to get out his sight when we sought further explanation and said that we wouldn't be happy to take the B&B alternative as we had specifically wanted to stay in a hotel and he was offering us no information about the B&B except that it was a few minutes walk down the road. When I asked to speak to a manager he informed me he was the manager and I could speak to him. He mentioned that the owner was called Mike McGrath but declined to provide contact details having told us he was not on the premises at the time. At one point, he actually shrugged his shoulders at us and said "well what do you want me to do? tell the other people to leave?" Well no, what we actually would have liked you to do, at a minimum, was be a little bit polite and apologetic. Losing the booking is bad enough but understanable but being outright rude and totally unapologetic is another. This whole conversation took place while we were still standing with our bags on the street outside the hotel which added to the gobsmackingly shambolic nature of the situation.
We gave up on getting any sort of decent communication from the charming Tomas and were luckily able to get a last minute booking elsewhere though at nearly twice the price.
I've since unsuccesfully tried to contact the hotel. When I called the number for the Hotel itself I was told (very politely and helpfuly, thanks!) that number doesn't cover the Praire House anymore and it might be best to try the phone number of the Black Cat restaurant below the hotel. I called the Black Cat and was told (pretty rudely) that they didn't have anything to do with the hotel. The lady who answered the phone initially tried to cut me off and hang up when I asked would she be able to share contact details of the person I should speak to. Eventually she said she did actually know who runs the hotel that it was the Mike Mc Grath mentioned by Tomas when we tried to check in but didn't know how I would contact him.

Completely baffling. Have given up on getting any kind of communication much less resolution from them.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NoCountry4MadWomen
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Spotless hotel in an ideal location but rooms far too small. Can barely walk around the bed and hardly any space for luggage. A pity they didn't reduce the number of rooms and add a little more space to the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martinronan
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel rooms seems renewed and are clean and bed was comfortable. No elevator and no space for the suitcase.
The bath is in the room itself and when finished shower, it felt like Turkish bath or sauna.
The owner was nice- even called to ask when we'll arrive and directed us to the parking, around 150 meters from the hotel..
Breakfast is not included, but you can "enjoy" the noise from the restaurant below till 1:30 AM.
I assume that for 130 euros a-night we could find better place to stay, inside Galway and closer to the center.

Room Tip: see it all (only 4 are available) and choose.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nimrod L
Reviewed 1 September 2013

after booking a double and a twin room, we arrived and we where given 2 double rooms, the rooms where that small that we couldn't even get our small suitcases in the room, the owner was rude and told me to shut up..... when I told him I wasn't happy with the rooms. we didn't stay that night, found an amazing hotel in galway city centre. I wouldn't advise staying in this hotel if you cant manage stairs as they are small steps and narrow, im a 27 year old fit male and I struggled

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Matty C
Reviewed 27 August 2013

very small yet comfy rooms with comfy bed and nice hot strong shower. could use a kettle though. We had a room which was at the front of the building on the street and was quite noisy but after a few drinks it was ok. We stayed on a saturday night in August and it was 110 euros. Was a bit rich given it was noisy and there was no breakfast. Peter was upfront about the room and helpful and it was nice to hear another Aussie accent. Great location thought as Salthill itself it quite a nice area on the water. only a 15 minute walk into town and there is a free car park across the road. if you are there on a sunday i would recommend driving closer into town as it is free unrestricted parking in most places closer to Galway. I would reccomend staying here but not for 110 euros.

Room Tip: get a room at the back of the building away from the street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We just stayed here for one night, we booked a standard double but ended up getting a deluxe double.
Room was nice, I was plesently surprise by the size, it was small but not as small as I expected from the reviews. Bed was really comfy, bath/shower presure was great!
No complaints had a lovely stay, Peter who checked us in was very nice and helpful. We didnt get to eat in the "Black Cat" restaurant downstairs, though we heard its really nice.

We were told upon check-in that it can be noisey, but we found it to be fine, we didnt hear anything while we were there(our room was towards the back)
Had a lovely stay, would recommend it, lovely little hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple