“Good food, bad service”

Ranked #9 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Galway
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Step back in time and join us in Corrib House Tea rooms for breakfast, lunch, teas and coffee. Our beautifully restored Georgian Townhouse is the perfect place to unwind and relax overlooking Galway's famous Salmon Weir . We opened our doors to the public in October 2011 and have steadily become a favorite hangout of both locals and tourists alike. Here at Corrib House we take great pride in everything we produce. From our breads and cakes to our soups, quiches and scones we make everything from scratch. .... Even down to the biscotti with your coffee. We use the finest local suppliers and produce such as our free range eggs from Hillsbrook farm in Barnadarg, Donnacha's salad leaves from the Burren, herbs from our own garden, Colleran's award winning meats and the great taste gold star awarded Fixx coffee. We care about our customers dietary requirements and offer loads of gluten free cakes, breakfast and lunch options. We Serve a selection of breakfast and brunch options from 9.30-12:15 And lunch is available from 12:15 to 5 with an ever changing selection of delicious cakes and treats laid out on our front counter.
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I went for lunch here today on my own, at about 2pm, so I missed the lunch hour rush. It was lovely and sunny so I went into the tea room and asked if I could sit outside. The girl I spoke to said yes, gave me a menu, and said she'd be out soon to take my order. She never came out, and when another waitress brought out coffees to the table next to me (about 10 minutes later), she took my order (cappuccino and a sandwich). Half an hour later and my food hadn't arrived, and I was the only table left outside. I began thinking I had been forgotten about, so I wandered in to the tea room and asked the girl that I had spoken to at the beginning if I could please have my coffee while I was waiting for my sandwich. She looked really surprised, and said of course. She brought me out an americano, didn't bring milk or sugar, and left again. She came back a few minutes later and asked what sandwich I had ordered, then went inside again. 10 minutes later she came out with my sandwich, and apologised because my first order had never made it to the kitchen apparently. My sandwich was beautiful, and I got some lovely fresh salads with it, and the coffee was delicious. When I went to pay they apologised for their mistake and gave me the coffee for free.

All in all, the food was lovely, but I won't go back because of their lack of attention!

1  Thank fi101288

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful little restaurant right on the river. Their pancakes, eggs benedict and selection of teas are delicious. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

This is a lovely cafe to escape to for a different lunch and look out on the water. The menu is a bit different and everything I've tasted there so far is mouthwatering. The coffee is really good as well. Only drawback is the price - a little expensive for lunch but perfect as a treat.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I visited Corrib House Tea Rooms on Saturday 20th of April. The location is perfect. The house itself is lovely and has a lovelly old world feel to it. It was very busy which was good. I ordered the smoked Trout pate which tasted lovely but had lots of pin bones which was very off putting. I could not eat it. The waitress dealt with the problem very nicely and offered me the fish cakes which my friend was also having. I found them to be very heavy and had more chunks of potato than fish.. the lettuce leaves were limp. The brown bread was very nice and the water had mint sprigs, a slice of orange and lemon in it which made it very potable. I have not tried much of the menu there and when looking around me, the scones looked very nice and the desserts while lacking in much choice , looked average. The staff were friendly but it was the food which put me off to the extent that I will not go back again unless it is for just a coffee and cake. I paid a visit to the ladies toilet. It had not been cleaned properly. The groove between the toilet lid and seat was not clean and had not been cleaned to a good standard for some time.That to me is too sloppy and does not show a good standard of hygiene, which hopefully does not extend into any other area of the tea house.

2  Thank eala
Victoria-David-1, Owner at Corrib House Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear reviewer,
Although ordinarily we do not reply to trip advisor reviews I felt compelled to reply due to what I feel is an inaccurate account of your visit to our Tea Rooms. As I was working in the kitchen myself that day I recall the issue regarding the smoked trout pot as the front of house staff brought it to my attention immediately. As you mentioned the smoked trout pot was not to your liking and we gladly offered you an alternative, being our fish cake option. I specifically asked your waitress to check with both you and your dining partner on clearing your table if everything was ok and she was assured it was. Again at the cash register on check-out our front of house staff queried if your visit was satisfactory and were told it was. Therefore I am at a loss as to why you didn’t bring these issues to the attention of a member of staff instead of this quite damaging review. As we are a small operation and family run establishment our staff members were actually quite upset by this review as they all strive to achieve a high standard in our Tea Rooms. I can guarantee you that hygiene standards are not “sloppy” throughout Corrib House, we employ a full time cleaner who takes personal pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of the house. The toilets are thoroughly cleaned each evening at close and maintained throughout the day.
In response to a few issues raised regarding our food, firstly our salad leaves are supplied fresh each morning from a local farmer in Galway thus I am very surprised that you found them to be limp, especially as you neither returned your side salad with either the smoked trout pot or the fish cakes, both large servings. Again your description of our desert selection as looking average surprises me as we receive daily complements on the quality of our baked items all prepared in house each morning by our experienced chef. We use very high quality ingredients for all our lunch options, with the burren smokehouse supplying our smoked trout, we have taken on board your issue with the pate and hopefully is rectified now. Our fish cakes contain three types of fish smoked cooley, salmon and cod and am disappointed you found them to be mainly potato based.
If you wish to discuss this further please email me personally at info@corribhouse.com
Yours Sincerely
David Bohan (Proprietor) and team

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Went here twice in the last seven days.
The first visit was with three friends, we had tea and three of us had the fish cakes. Fish cakes were very good, crispy, plenty fish in them an accompanied with a good salad.
We proceeded to have more tea and hazelnut cake afterwards, which was also very good. We managed to get a table right in the window which has a great view. Service was a little cold, but otherwise very positive experience.
Second visit was the following Saturday with a group of seven friends. We had pancakes, eggs benedict and coffee, eggs benedict were very good, the hollandaise was top notch. Pancakes I can't vouch for personally but those who had them said they were good. Same server as the last time, and again the same cold reception, but otherwise again a very positive experience.

1  Thank Aengus O