“Felt like a Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Sleepzone was meant to be the best accommodation in Galway. There were actual card keys to get in and out of the room, unlike real keys in previous hostels. I stayed in a 9-person room, full of people in my tour group. I felt safe and secure because I was with people I knew. Our room had a large en suite, with a shower, toilet and sink. There was a bathroom directly across from our room that held showers and toilets too in case we needed it. Our room had a small balcony outlooking a bit of Galway and the street below.

The hostel was in a great location, only a few blocks away from Galway city center. The kitchen was spacious and had enough equipment for multiple people to cook/clean at once. The staff was friendly enough, but weren't overly helpful. Two of the guys in our group came in late, but most of us were woken up because one staff member tried to tell him it wasn't his room because it was an all-girls dorm. If that was the case, they shouldn't have given the guys keys in the first place, hours before. All 9 of us were awoken by this incident in the early hours of the morning. While I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding, it was a bit frustrating at the time.

Overall, a nice location and clean facility.

1  Thank mpursell

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were kinda tired of because of long bus ride, and weren't expecting anything... but that hostel boosted our energy the minute we stepped in! Kind receptionist, elevator, clean, nicely furnished rooms with bathroom, bright colors, we even got the room with nice view! Nice and comfy social areas, good kitchen... We've seen cca. 10 hostels during our Irish journey, but this was the best one!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights over NYE. Cost was 30 euro per night. I felt this a little expensive considering I had to share room with four others. However, It is nearly impossible to get accommodation in Galway at this time of year. Do check prices as they may differ at less busy times.
Key card allows you entry into room and hostel after hours. However there is always someone on hand at reception desk.
Rooms were clean and bed linen provided. Beds on hard side but this suits me as I have a bad back.
It is in close proximity to Eyre square and 5 min walk to the main thoroughfair that is Shop street/Quay street. 5 mins from bus/trainstation. Shopping centre, movie theatre and bowling alley 5 mins away.
Kitchen is equipped with all utensils needed, except wine opener, Not to worry though as necessity being mother of invention, that was nothing a knife and teatowel couldn't fix.
There is also a machine which has constant hot water for those obligatory cups of tea.
There are rooms which have there own bathroom and those which you must use a communal one. perhaps this also affects price.
Free WIFI in reception and kitchen areas no access code needed. Plenty of leaflets and info on things to do. . The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Good convo's with Horatio... Really nice person.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Well-located and easily found, this hostel is perfect if you want to enjoy time with your friends or other people you could meet. The hostel is really clean.
The breakfast is very good.
The staff are the most friendly I've met, welcoming you with some towels if the Irish weather is playing with you!
Another interesting detail: Prices were the best in the town on the night we went there (after being in four other places to know the prices).

Two points however: water is not so hot in the shower, sometimes cold, depending on when you take it. What's more, the bedrooms are not so warm but you have good quilt for sleeping.

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms and facilities were clean, staff were friendly and very helpful.

Breakfast was solid, plenty of room in the kitchen and common areas.

Good location; close to city centre and public transport.

Free towels!

Overall a great experience!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This Hostel is one of the most ambient filled, atmospheric fuelled and this is all down to the staff. Paudie(apologies if incorrect)is one of the most efficient people i've ever encountered. I travel a lot over the last 4 yr's as i am a writer and i have stayed in some mouse, spider and bat infected hostels...Brazil...don't go there. I have saved the best for last, the man who run's here, there and everywhere...is as elusive as snow in summer....his name is Ronan and i have now returned to my native Italy with a heart that is in pain and an emptiness that cannot be filled by mama's gnocchi or risotto. I must wade through these feeling's until i can rest my eye's on him once again. Sleepzone is a place for memories to be built on. Flavia

Room Tip: choose a room close to Reception