“Avoid this place”

and 1 more site!
Woodquay Hostel
Ranked #39 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Galway
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This place is officially the worst place we have stayed up. One night was enough and it was far too expensive for what it was. The check in guy wasn't friendly and didn't really want to help.

just giving you a heads up for you to stay away.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Funlover73
There are newer reviews for Woodquay Hostel

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Myself and friends stayed here last year. Turns out they overbooked us and some of us were in a dorm and two of my friends had to sleep on a mattress on the floor in the common room.
The facilities were fine. Everything you would require was there and working.
The place was a bit dated and could do with a bit of a scrub.
The staff were brilliant though! Good fun and very helpful.
In a good location too. Just off of eyre square.

Room Tip: Make sure that your not double booked!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ash_Halpin
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Wow... I was kind of shocked when reading the last few reviews from people who stayed in Woodquay Hostel. The place seems to be quite good and organised and if people had all those problems, seems that the management learned something from the past...

I stayed there for 2 nights only and managed to know only one guy from staff. I didnt get his name, but I would say he is probably the most helpful and gentle person in charge of a hostel/hotel I have ever met. And I mean it.

I see many people complaining about the rooms, but honestly speaking I didnt see any problems. They are quite cozy in my view. Toilets are clean and showers work properly. All the place is decorated with nice stuff about Ireland and the kitchen and the living room are really nice. Woodquay is really well-located (in a small city like Galway it is quite hard not to be well-located). Ahhh... there is good WI-FI in the bedrooms!

Bad points: only one key per booking. This can be annoying. Outside door is always locked and you cannot open that with your bedroom key, what means you will have to ring the bell and wait for someone to come. Besides, price is a bit higher than other options in Galway. But overall experience tells me this is a worth coming place. I would surely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NastjaKranjc
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The worse place i have ever stayed, the smell, the rooms, just a complete tip. Badly organised, staff who do not know what they are doing and loads of false promises. Booked a private double room,[ paying extra], got a room with 3 sets of bunk beds on the 1st night, that was ok but what followed on the 2nd night was not. Came back to the hostel to find all my and mates bags relocated to a general area where several people were sleeping, so anybody could help themselves to your bags, when i complained i was told our room was needed for other guests. When i pointed out that i had payed extra for a private room, i was pretty much told hard luck, you will get a refund in the morning, needless to say that did not happen, very rude staff and poor cleaness.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank john c
Reviewed 31 January 2012

On the weekend of the 18th of November a group of us went to Galway for a weekend, On booking into this hostel we should have known form the word go that it wasn’t going to be a good stay as all 20 of us along with 3 to 4 more groups were shepherded into a tiny room like sheep and left there for 15minutes before we heard anything about our rooms from the owner of the hostel.
Finally we got our rooms but there was only one key per room so one of us had to keep it with them. We didn’t stay long that evening just changed clothes and left but on coming back that night all the trouble started. Even though the night manager told us he would let us in that night some of us were waiting outside for a half hour while others were told that since he didn’t recognise them they were not allowed in and to go somewhere else. We went to bed as we were all tired after a long day but we were not left in peace as the night manager came into our room repeatedly shining a light in our faces and loudly counting even after being told to stop and go away and after we locked the door twice. That was the first night.
The next day he "apologised" to some people but none of them were in our group. He said that he would not do it that night, but on arriving home the first thing we heard was him roaring and throwing people out, people were complaining that their rooms were open and stuff was taken out of their rooms such as phones drink and cameras! The night manager denied knowing anything about this and said we all must have left our doors open!
All in all it was a horrible place, some people had to stay on the floor, random people were put in our rooms, there were no services at all and it was dirty and smelled, we will never stay there again and wouldn’t recommend anyone else to.

5  Thank Ezra N
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Where do I start, this hostel is the worst place I have ever satyed. It was not up to standards, the place was damp had a musky smell and was not in very good condition. I stayed there with a group of 21 people and during our 2 day stay hthere we were treated badly, disrespected and were not given what we were promised. On our arrival, the hostel didnt look great, the manager basically gave us warnings in a horrible tone the minute we were in the place, didnt even welcome us, We al went out that night and when we came back to the hostel and were going to bed, the night manager on numerous occasions came into our rooms and shone a torch in everybodys faces, apparently he was counting to see how many people were in even though we gave him our names when we arrived, he did this numberous times throughtout the night that I had to tell him if he would come in again i would make a complaint, he came in until 5 o clock in the morning, treating us like children and even at one point he locked us into our room lik we were animals. When we came back on the 1st night there was an odur of drugs throughout the hostel and the night manager didnt look if he was "all there".
The next morning everybody was cranky from being kept up the night before, we were promised breakfast as it was included in the price we paid and I personally wouldnt feed it to a dog, the plates, cups, knifes were all dirty. I made a compaint to the manager and our coordinator of the weekend and after we returned from a day of workshops the night manager was very apologetic and because of all the screw ups from the night before he promised us the common area all night provided we are quiet, we took him up on his offer and when we were having pre drinks, people who were not even staying in the hostel were offering us drugs and the manager didnt seem shocked. these men were also shouting profanities at our group which was completly rude, after we complained the hostel were reluctant to throw them out or do anything about it. After we gotr home from the nightclub and after they promised us the common room we were suddenly not allowed to use it was the manager of the hostel was asleep while she was supposed to be working. I made numberous complaints to the manager and night manager which between the two of them didnt know what they were talking about and said that it was miscommunictaions. Myself and another delegate leader spent nearly an hour arguing with them and they would do nothing and the manager thought it was all fun and games and started laughing into my face. Later that night i found out that the hostel was overbooked and the manager was telling people to go and sleep whereever there was a bed free leaving some of our party with no bed to sleep on.
We were also only aclocated one key per rom and with 6 to 8 people in a rrom some of which didnt know each other this proved very difficult. also after locking up our rooms while we were away we came back to them wide open and stuff was missing such as a camera, phones and drink, again the hostel did nothing about it.
This hostel was a disgusting place and I will nor will anyone in our party be staying here again. One of our party rang me recently and said that he got shingles from the hostel. I have never felt so unsafe or uncomfortable as I did when I stayed here. The hostel manager was so rude I might aswell talked to the wall and as for the night manager, a people skills course wouldnt go astray.
At all cost do NOT stay in this hostel.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and chose none, pick another hostel.
2  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is an absolutely shocking hostel. While the property is old and could do with refurbishment, it is the treatment of our group by staff that made it unbearable.

The night manager seemed fine initially while the organisers of the trip were there but after that it went rapidly downhill. For a start, people had to sleep on mattresses on the floor because rooms were double booked.

We were given one key for the room, even though there was eight of us sleeping there who didn't all know each other and never told the code to open the front door. We were told to ask at reception if the keyholder was out and the keys were practically thrown at us. Two of us arrived back first on the Friday night and asked to be let into the room. The door was wide open despite us definitely having closed it behind us. Our room was opened and left open for anyone to wander in and looking through our things.

Later that night when everyone was sleeping, the night manager continually came into our rooms without knocking and shined his torch in everyone's face while counting to see how many were there. In addition, he brought people in and told them to sleep in whatever bed was free since someone had taken theirs, so members of our group came back to find their beds taken.

The next night people were continually being threatened with being kicked out for noise, even though they were only chatting in their rooms. Drinks from the fridge, phones and a camera were all stolen. Members of out group were very casually offered drugs by other supposed guests over the kitchen table. All of our group had been in the common area before we went out that night and staff complained that it had been left in a state. I personally cleaned up before we left which just goes to show what horrible liars they are.

The treatment received by our group at this hostel was in actuality harassment. I have never seen paying guests and their privacy so grievously disrespected. People admitted that they didn't feel safe being in the hostel on their own. I myself shared a bed for the duration of our stay as there was just no sense of security.

Avoid this hostel entirely. The arrogant, rude and ignorant staff treated us so, so badly. Our group, nor anyone we know, will never stay here again.

2  Thank RoisinAH