“Very disappointing stay”

Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Tulla, Co. Clare
“Very disappointing stay”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed in the Imperial Hotel Galway on Dec 7th and was very disappointed - on arrival the room was cold I had to ring reception 3 times before the heat came on, I then decided to have a shower to warm up and to my disappointment the fixed soap dispenser in the shower was empty. I did email the hotel with my disappointment and to date I never heard back from them. It cost me 99 euro B&B which is difficult enough for me to gather and I really would expect to be treated with a little comfort.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
imperialhotelgalway, Manager at Imperial Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Wildrose 21
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and to date I have not being able to find your email. We did have a hot water problem on the evening of the 7th December which we called in the plumbers who assured me that the problem had being fixed. I do apologise for any discomfort this may have caused.

Galway City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Just stayed for 1 night and thumbs up for friendly staff, nice breakfast and super location, ideal for shoppers ( to deposit bags during the day! ) and beside christmas markets and close to all restaurants and bars. Breakfast that included is continental is perfect with fruit,cereals, bagels, cold meats,eggs...
No the rooms arent brill and its a little old and could do with refurbishnent to bring everything to date. ..but its perfect for galway as there is so much to see and do very little time for hotel!!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Bedqueen

Thank you for your review delighted to read that you give the hotel the thumbs up. I would have to agree with you we have a great location right on Eyre Square in the heart of Galway City.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014.

Halifax West Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Hotel located on Eyre Square in the centre of Galway, within walking distance of both train station and coach station.
Larger than average room, with good facilities. Breakfast was continental only, but there was adequate choice of pastries and cold meats etc.
Centrally located hotel at reasonable price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Anthony JS
Thank you for your review and I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and Galway City. It is always good to hear that you got value for money and that you found the breakfast to be satisfactory and the bedroom to be large and with good facilities.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to the Imperial Hotel in 2014

NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First time we have gone to Galway and we and just managed to come when the christmas market had arrived. This was our first stay and would agree with all the positive reviews. We stayed in room 201 which had a full view of the square and at night the market christmas lights where an added bonus. I also believed there was no hot water but i found if you let the water run for a moment it will come to a sufficent tempature.I will return again but maybe when the weather is warmer when you can sit outside all the pubs and cafes. Stayed on 6th December

Room Tip: Try front rooms but these are always on demand
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear William B
Thank you for your review and I am delight that you enjoyed your stay with us and Galway City. It sure is a magical time when the Christmas Market comes to town. We hope to see you again in 2014.

Thanks again for your review

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

There is no doubt the location of this hotel is its greatest asset. Right smack on Eyre Square it is perfectly located for exploring the sights of the city, its great nightlife an restaurants and the bay area and all the city has to offer.

However the hotel is very tired and in serious need of renovation. Its rooms are adequate and clean but the public areas look drab and very dreary. The bar is very badly laid out with little or no focus on atmosphere and with the bar tucked behind a pillar and a tv blaring in the middle. The staff are very helpful and polite despite the fact that when I asked where was good to eat the receptionist failed to mention the hotel's restaurant and its special offer of a meal and a drink.

The hotel has a lot going for it if the owners, whoever they may be, were prepared to spend a bit of money on much needed upgrades.

Room Tip: If you travel at the weekend make sure to get a room at the back as the noise on Eyre Square can be...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Wooise123
Thank you for your review I would agree with you we have a great location right in the heart of Galway City. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I was on holidays. I have taken your comments on board and have spoken to the reception staff about informing guests about our food service. From what I can make out on the night you were in the bar a football match was just over and that is why the TV was on.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014
Galway City.
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in this hotel 5 times this year while in Galway on business, but my last 2 stays were disastrous with only Luke warm water both in my shower and the sinks, i let it go on the first occasion but 2 in a row??.. I love the hotel, the rooms are excellent and staff very efficient also the location is fantastic, so maybe no harm to look into this water issue ? It won't stop me staying again ..Derek Murphy -- Dublin

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Murphy

Thank you for your review and can I say sorry for not responding to you sooner. I have being on holidays. I have asked our maintenance man to look into the problem with the hot water and there was a problem with one of the pumps, but he has assured me that it has being replaced and this problem should not happen again.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to the Imperial Hotel in 2014.
The Manager
Galway City.
Leitrim
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night, the two of us and our 11 year old son, the room was clean and lovely and warm, the staff were very friendly and helpfull, I had been warned when booking that it may be noisey as they had hen and stag staying the same night but we all slept soundly and heard nothing (we were at the back of the hotel), The contential breakfast was fine, we could have easily upgraded to cooked breakfast for 5 euro extra but were happy with what we had, no complaints here, for 99 euro for the three of us it was great value, I will definetly be staying here again :D

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
imperialhotelgalway, Manager at Imperial Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Roisie

Thank you for your review I was glad to read that you found our bedrooms clean and warm and that our staff were helpful and friendly. It was also good to read that there were no complaints with the Continental Breakfast.

As always with all reviews this will be posted on our staff notice board and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel, Galway City.

The Manager