“Good location, ok room, poor staff!”

Imperial Hotel Galway
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Good location, ok room, poor staff!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel last night! When I arrived I couldn't believe my luck when it came to the location as it couldn't be more central! Went to the room then and would say that this was only ok. Kettle was broken, towels were tiny and I could hear every bit of noise from the next room!
Massive downside was the staff! As it was the weekend before Christmas town was packed and so I decided to come back to utilize the residents bar! I stood patiently at this for 10-15 minutes only to be completely ignored by a barman whose only interest was chatting up two girls at the end of the bar! I could see a couple standing there also irritated and shortly after they gave up on him doing his job so did I! Next morning then cleaners were hoovering outside my door very early for a Sunday!
If you are looking for a location hotel in Galway then this is perfect, if you want comfort or to be treated like a valued paying customer go elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
imperialhotelgalway, Manager at Imperial Hotel Galway, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Derek M

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read about your experience in the residents bar. I have spoken to all of the bar staff about how important our customers are to us all. I hope you will accept this apology for the bad service you received as it is not normal practice of the Imperial Hotel.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and can I wish you and yours a Happy New Year.
Galway City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in this hotel. The location is great and the rooms are very good value for money. They are warm and comfortable and spacious. The one downside to my experience at the hotel was the barman working in the hotel bar that evening, late on a Saturday night. We had called in for one or two after a dinner in the city and after standing at the bar for about ten minutes while watching the barman blatantly ignore us and chat up two women we decided to give up and left the bar. Extremely unprofessional, poor service. Hotel itself is fine and would stay again but the experience in the bar was unsatisfactory and completely unprofessional and rude.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Ianey85

Thank you for your review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Imperial Hotel. I have spoken to all bar staff about how important our customers are to the hotel. I do hope that you accept this apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your group.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014
Tulla, Co. Clare
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed in the Imperial Hotel Galway on Dec 7th and was very disappointed - on arrival the room was cold I had to ring reception 3 times before the heat came on, I then decided to have a shower to warm up and to my disappointment the fixed soap dispenser in the shower was empty. I did email the hotel with my disappointment and to date I never heard back from them. It cost me 99 euro B&B which is difficult enough for me to gather and I really would expect to be treated with a little comfort.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Wildrose 21
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and to date I have not being able to find your email. We did have a hot water problem on the evening of the 7th December which we called in the plumbers who assured me that the problem had being fixed. I do apologise for any discomfort this may have caused.

Galway City

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Just stayed for 1 night and thumbs up for friendly staff, nice breakfast and super location, ideal for shoppers ( to deposit bags during the day! ) and beside christmas markets and close to all restaurants and bars. Breakfast that included is continental is perfect with fruit,cereals, bagels, cold meats,eggs...
No the rooms arent brill and its a little old and could do with refurbishnent to bring everything to date. ..but its perfect for galway as there is so much to see and do very little time for hotel!!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Bedqueen

Thank you for your review delighted to read that you give the hotel the thumbs up. I would have to agree with you we have a great location right on Eyre Square in the heart of Galway City.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014.

Halifax West Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Hotel located on Eyre Square in the centre of Galway, within walking distance of both train station and coach station.
Larger than average room, with good facilities. Breakfast was continental only, but there was adequate choice of pastries and cold meats etc.
Centrally located hotel at reasonable price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Anthony JS
Thank you for your review and I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and Galway City. It is always good to hear that you got value for money and that you found the breakfast to be satisfactory and the bedroom to be large and with good facilities.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to the Imperial Hotel in 2014

NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First time we have gone to Galway and we and just managed to come when the christmas market had arrived. This was our first stay and would agree with all the positive reviews. We stayed in room 201 which had a full view of the square and at night the market christmas lights where an added bonus. I also believed there was no hot water but i found if you let the water run for a moment it will come to a sufficent tempature.I will return again but maybe when the weather is warmer when you can sit outside all the pubs and cafes. Stayed on 6th December

Room Tip: Try front rooms but these are always on demand
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear William B
Thank you for your review and I am delight that you enjoyed your stay with us and Galway City. It sure is a magical time when the Christmas Market comes to town. We hope to see you again in 2014.

Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 1 December 2013

There is no doubt the location of this hotel is its greatest asset. Right smack on Eyre Square it is perfectly located for exploring the sights of the city, its great nightlife an restaurants and the bay area and all the city has to offer.

However the hotel is very tired and in serious need of renovation. Its rooms are adequate and clean but the public areas look drab and very dreary. The bar is very badly laid out with little or no focus on atmosphere and with the bar tucked behind a pillar and a tv blaring in the middle. The staff are very helpful and polite despite the fact that when I asked where was good to eat the receptionist failed to mention the hotel's restaurant and its special offer of a meal and a drink.

The hotel has a lot going for it if the owners, whoever they may be, were prepared to spend a bit of money on much needed upgrades.

Room Tip: If you travel at the weekend make sure to get a room at the back as the noise on Eyre Square can be...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Wooise123
Thank you for your review I would agree with you we have a great location right in the heart of Galway City. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I was on holidays. I have taken your comments on board and have spoken to the reception staff about informing guests about our food service. From what I can make out on the night you were in the bar a football match was just over and that is why the TV was on.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in 2014
Galway City.