“DON'T EAT HERE”
Review of The Connacht Hotel

The Connacht Hotel
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stopped in for a bite to eat......big mistake,food was terrible. I ordered “KENTUCKY STYLE”
CHICKEN FILLET Sweet potato wedges & shaved fennel salad, BBQ sauce. First things first ....when it arrived to my table the plate was covered in balsamic vinegar and then the food placed on top. When i told the waiter it was balsamic vinegar and not barbeque sauce which is what it says on the menu......he asked me do i not like balsamic vinegar? Not sure he knew the menu properly.....Sent it back . My girlfriend ordered the GRILLED FILLET OF ATLANTIC SALMON Crushed potato of dillisk, sun-blushed tomato & sugar
snap, saffron & white wine veloute sauce. The fish was bland and boring .....not a lot happening on the plate, as soon as it was served she asked for a a side of vegetables. Apart from the salmon being tasteless ,the baby potatoes it came with were literally raw, hard as rocks....picked them out and sent them back. By now my chicken was back ,minus the balsamic vinegar and now served with bbq sauce as advertised. The chicken was tasteless , bland, no seasoning,breadcrumbs were a mess, it was served with 5 sweet potatoes , they were burnt , dry ,tasteless. The vegetables we ordered at the start arrived, broccoli was raw, carrots and parsnips...didnt taste great. My shaved fennel salad was a joke. By the time we were finished a portion of mashed potatoes arrived, bland tasteless , boring mashed potatoes, .....total price for the dining experience, €26.90. On top of that there are big tv screens with sports blaring on it , children running everywhere, the general noise in there is insane, sat in the restaurant are to get as far away from that noise as possible, bus load after bus load of tourists pile in and out of this are....after all this nothing offered off our bill at checkout, probably think we are just another tourist and wont be back,live down the road,wont be going back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ZOOLMYMAN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here for 2 nights.
The room was a good size & clean. Only problem was the toilet did not flush properly.
There is a great gym & lovely big pool. Great for families with young children.
On our 2nd night the people in the room directly above us started playing really loud music at around 4am & were very noisy. We rang reception to complain so they sent someone up to ask them to be quiet.
Bar area was nice but had a noisy crowd on the 2nd night - probably a hen or stag do.
I filled out a comment card when we were checking out & mentioned that the toilet wasn't working properly & about the noise during the night but nobody at the hotel contacted me to discuss which was a bit disappointing.
This is an inexpensive hotel. It's good but not great!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jennie W
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed with family members for three night break in this hotel. Got very good deal.
Weather was fabulous, hotel was packed and had a great buzz! Staff were friendly, food in bar and at breakfast were delicious and drinks reasonably priced. There were lots of families so we all fely very comfortable with children doing what children do! The children loved the pool - the sun shone in and it was really relaxing (although jacuzzi was out of order). We also used the Kid's Club one evening and the children really enjoyed this, although there is a 6 euros fee for one child and 10 euros for two.
Hotel is located outside the city centre but we drove in (5 minutes) and parked near Eyre Square and also spent a day at Salthill. Good location for family break.
Excellent wifi in hotel, a must nowadays. Enjoyed our stay and loved Galway!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A group of 20 of us both family and friends stayed here for a milestone birthday.
The hotel was fully booked but as it was so big you really couldnt tell, even at breakfast.
We mainly spent our time in the leisure centre (Pool/Sauna) or the bar/restaurant.
The food was very tasty and there was a great selection of drinks (a few cocktails were had)
Toasted special was a great gap filler after a day around Barna and Spidal.
Will be staying there again in a few weeks following the Races.
Very happy all round.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank budzaer84
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a budget hotel which I desired with a relatively good breakfast of a large scale.

I was shocked when I checked in as the hallways were overloaded with housekeeping leftovers, giving the hotel a chaotic type of feeling although it was in the late afternoon.

The room was large and had a nice bathroom.

It was a nice walk to downtown for me and bus service is about a block away but the area itself is not convenient to restaurants other than what is on site at the hotel.

Fortunately, the wifi was good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Seachickster
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I decided to stay in The Connacht Hotel because of the indoor swimming pool and training center. The price was quite ok for being a 4 star... but I wouldnt consider this hotel as a 4 star at all. I paid around 50 something € which is quite a common price to pay for a hotel night in Ireland, but when I arrived, the problems started. I stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of March, which means still being a quite wet and cold period in Ireland. The heating was not working. I called the reception so they could fix it, but they could not, so they promised me to move to another room next morning, but it was only an excuse to keep me quiet. It would have been ok to be without heating, but the window was broken and impossible to close... Next morning I had a meeting and the iron was neither working :( When I called the reception in order to get moved to another room, they said it was impossible as there were a lot of weddings and the hotel was fully booked. And so I spent my 4 nights, trying to get a proper room. Outside my door, someone throwed a bag of potato chips, which continued there until the day I left as nobody cleaned it. The bathtube was also damaged, so the water needed at least 2 hours to disappear. The toilet was dripping the whole night... So my conclusion is, I got the most damaged room in the whole hotel ;) but because of being fully booked I guess it was the only room I could get. The day of the check-out I was so unsatisfied, that I did not wanted to leave until I could speak to the hotel manager in order to inform that my case was not fair at all. So after 4 days trying to be attended correctly by the right person (nobody knew what to do cause it was not their responsability) and when I threatened by writing a formal complaint, the hotel manager did not charged my breakfast (10€ per day). Well in the end I got a good deal... but of course I would have preferred to pay my breakfast and have had a proper room...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Arya O
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I came here expecting pleasant and friendly service and nice food we got the opposite, we were greeted by a staff member that looked and acted as if she was literally just out of bed, we asked for the ceaser salad and a fish and chips, we also asked what was in the salad as my partner is illergic to nuts we was told just a basic salad and smoked chicken, when it came out it was covered in olives and sardines, the chicken tasted as if it was in the fridge for months and the whole dish was covered in the fish juices leaving it unedable, not just that but a side of chips was ordered and half of them was raw as was the chips with the fish, there was no salt or ketchup on the table, we was not offered any water like many tabels was. We was not asked if everthing was ok, terribe is the only word I can use to describe the place

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple