“Great sushi”

Ranked #131 of 495 Restaurants in Galway
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: RAW - sushi in the sky... finally, authentic Japanese sushi comes to Galway! An intriguing proposition, and a perfect fit for the west of Ireland where some of the finest fresh fish available is landed, RAW is a destination restaurant at the top of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Galway. Serving an exciting selection of authentic Japanese sushi, sashimi, sakes and whiskies, RAW showcases local fish as much as possible in creating traditional Japanese sushi, led by master craftsman and Japanese native Hisashi Kumagai, RAW's chef. Open Tuesday - Saturday 6pm to 10pm
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've had some pretty great sushi in Vancouver, but the quality of the fish in Galway was amazing. I had the taster menu, with the sashimi platter as the main. It was the most generous portion of sashimi I've ever seen.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I thought the sushi was quite good and the sake wasn't bad. The restaurant was empty when I went so a table at the window was easy to get. The chocolate sushi desert was certainly interesting.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

To start, I'm not the biggest fan of the Radisson, for a number of reasons, but that's an all together other story. So I was not over excited taking a trip to RAW, the exciting part being that I was eating in a place I'd not been before - and that's always exciting. Also, not blowing my own trumpet, but, I've eaten sushi, in Japan.

The layout, is roomy, very comfortable, feels as if you've got the whole place to yourself. The lighting seemed just right. There's a nice view out over Galway Bay and of the Clare hills, once you look beyond the oil tanks. The staff are very friendly and polite which adds to the experience. The choice of drinks is ok, wine and some Japanese beers, it would have been nice if they had a selection of cocktails. There's a very good choice of food, but we went for the taster menu, which at 35 euro, is excellent value. To start, I had the Brill Carpaccio, which was very nice, this was followed by Miso Soup. For my main I went for the Omakase Sushi selection, which consisted of salmon, tuna, prawn, sea bass, swordfish and smoked eel, all delightful. Dessert, was sweet chocolate sushi, I'd never had this combo before, not something I'd go for again, but it was ok.

If you've not had sushi before, RAW is an excellent choice, and one of the better places to eat in Galway, I look forward to my next visit.

1  Thank JayF99
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Restaurant is beautiful, the view is to die for, the service was fantastic. The food was delicious for each sushi eater, but there are no alternatives if going with someone who isn't a big sushi fan. So take that into consideration when booking. The staff were very kind. The restaurant is very authentic and I think you get what you pay for ( high price, high standard!)

RadissonHotel G, Social Meda Coordinator at Raw Sushi In The Sky, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and the view.

I hope that you will return to Raw - Sushi in the Sky very soon.

Best wishes,

Sarah O Mahony

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Brought my mother here for a treat recently, we both had a wonderful experience. The food was great, the service was excellent and the view was spectacular. I highly recommend getting a window seat if it is available. Can't wait to return!

RadissonHotel G, Scoial Media Coordinator at Raw Sushi In The Sky, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind review of Raw- Sushi in the Sky.

I am delighted that you and your mother had such a nice experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,