“Good budget hotel”
Review of Travelodge Galway

Travelodge Galway
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Chain hotel and no-frills, but a pleasant enough stay. The lady on reception was courteous and professional and check in was fine.

Hotel was average but the price was good. Overall a comfortable stay without spending a fortune. Galway City is a good 10 minutes walk from the hotel, and we drove in (parking a nightmare and expensive) but the hotel has free parking which is handy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
RimaStankute, Revenue Coordinator at Travelodge Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2009

Hi There,

Thank you for your time to write your positive review about our hotel -they are always welcome!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Rima

Reviewed 2 July 2009

Well what can I say about the Travelodge in Galway.... We arrived for check in at 3pm armed with our cash to pay for our room, as it says you the Travelodge website that you can pay in cash or my card. Got to the reception to be told by a very unwelcoming receptionist who looked like they couldn't be bothered to help, that we couldn't pay in cash by orders of the manager. We were shocked. We had the money as we were very low on money on our pre-pay card that we took to Ireland, had we known that we couldn't we would have put more money on the card. We told this to the receptionist but she was very unsympathetic. We got our card for the room and this initially didn't work, so we took this back to the receptionist to which she just swiped it again and said in a kind of "can't be bothered" tone that "well it was working earlier". Back round to our ground floor room and the back of reception we got in. The room was mediocre by any means. Let me explain, my fiance and I were on a road trip in England and Ireland and we were staying in four Travelodges throughout the road trip. The room backed on to an alleyway inbetween buildings so we had a dull view of a wall, a bin and an empty cannister. The room was very dark due to having this wall at the back, and also cause the beige walls, making it very depressing.

Settling in we switched on the TV to be met with a "Please pay 8 euros for 24hrs", and no instructions in to what on earth this was on about. All we could see was this black box screwed on to the underside of the desk, (presumably for the internet access) flashing away merrily to itself while we pressed wildly on the remote. After 20 mins of this we then realised that although you have a remote, you can only control the volume of the tv from this. You have to physically go to the tv for changing the channels. Very relaxing. Being a woman, I then sourced the mirror on the wall for doing my hair in the morning. What is the point in putting this over the desk unit sideways to you can't actually get in front of it??!!! Bad planning.

I have to agree with previous reviews regarding the bed. We were in a double room with no sofa bed, and the double bed had to be the worst bed I have ever stayed in. This was soft to the degree that when I was working for a furnishing company, this would be classed as a defunct mattress. There was no support anywhere on it, and every time you moved it gave of very loud creaking noises which it shouldn't do. It did not make for a good night sleep. Add into that that it was a very warm muggy night, and even if you opened the window you did not get any air due to the fact of this wall in front of it.

The bathroom was adequate, my only concern was the grime on the shower heads. It didn't look like it had been cleaned properly in ages.

Overall, I expected more from Travelodge and we both feel very let down by such a well known and established company. Especially seeing as we stayed in much better Travelodges in Limerick, Dublin and Scarborough. Not being able to pay in cash was a turn off as well. Try and avoid this Travelodge until the company can actually sort it out.

Yours,
A disgruntled customer.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I wouldnt normally bother to review a Travel Lodge as most travellers know what they are & what you get.
However i stayed in 3 hotels this week of which the cheapest by far was the travelodge at 49 euros a night (i think) but it represented the worst value for money.
Located on a busy road the room was noisy, it was a hot day/night so choice was noise or heat. In terms of keeping the room cool it would have been good if the curtains had been as big as the windows to keep out the sunlight. In my colleagues room he also had under sized curtains but with the additional feature of holes in them.
The Irish economy is struggling at the moment & there are deals to be had elsewhere - our 49euro rooms were cheap, a long way from town so add a taxi fare, no pubs nearby & 5euros a bottle in the hotel.
Yes it was cheap but not good value & I am delighted it was only for one night.
Breakfast was ok but in dire surroundings.
Loved Galway once we escaped this dreary hotel.
Feel very sorry for the staff who were friendly & helpful altho the process of cooking my breakfast did not start until my colleague returned with the voucher - well u cant be too careful with customers who made a "company" booking & paid in advance can you?

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I'd forgotten what Travelodges were like, unfortunately. This is literally only acceptable as a roof over your head, and very little else.

As a triple room, the double bed had a much too soft, saggy mattress and flat pillows (no extras). The sofa bed was rock hard, in contrast.

The bathroom was clean, thankfully, but only came with one scabby bar of soap. It's obviously been a while since I stayed in a Travelodge before, but I thought the basic shampoo / shower gel combo was standard. They 'did not provide'. We didn't stick around for the breakfast in the cafe.

The TV remote didn't work, either. (I'm nit picking, now!)

Incidently, the toilets in the bathroom had no soap in the dispenser, despite being checked 'hourly'.

The location is not great - you'd be better staying in a cheap and cheerful hostel in the centre of town. Give yourself a good 20 minutes to walk into Eyre Square, and not through the most attractive area either.

There is parking though, which is handy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ESDublin
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2009

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review about our hotel.
I’m sorry you felt the mattress was a little soft; I will pass your comment onto the operations manager.
As well as the pillows on the bed, we also provide a spare on the wardrobe shelf, and most customers find this meets their needs perfectly. But if you ever need more, please ask our staff on the reception.

At Travelodge, the hotel revolution doesn’t stop with just the price. We’ve carefully designed our hotels to give you all the things you need without having to pay for the things you don’t.
Our research shows that most people staying in a hotel simply want a clean, comfortable place to get a good night’s sleep, and are happy to forgo the unnecessary “frills” offered in the other stuffy, over-priced establishments.

Most people staying away from home will pack a toiletry bag, so don’t need miniature bottles of synthetic-smelling lotions and potions. But if you have forgotten something, we do sell a range of basic toiletries at our reception.

In relation to the TV remote – all our televisions are controlled by the universal remote controls. When the batteries go in a remote control our receptionists can replace the batteries instantly.

Reviewed 2 June 2009

This hotel was a little grimy but I expected that. I am a smoker but the smell of smoke in a room I sleep in does put me off. I stayed two nights and the room was very basic. Beds weren't very comfortable but I can't really complain too much, the room was pretty cheap. The location was a little further than I would have hoped for but not too far for a cheap taxi to and from the city centre. For the price and relatively close location, I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun at Travelodge Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2009

Hi there,

Thanks for writing your review about our hotel.
I’m disappointed your stay wasn’t satisfactory but I’m sure your next visit will be much more enjoyable.
I do hope you give us the opportunity.

Reviewed 1 June 2009

Stayed 1 night with my husband.
Looking for clean room, for comfortable quiet night.
Got none of those.

This place is a bit of a flop house

The double bed was ready for the rubbish dump - both bodies rolled into the centre. Pillows were old and flat. Curtains were off the tracks - so couldn't close properly to make the room dark - and too high for me to fix myself.

And for most of the night we could hear the traffic noise.

Would not accept cash - credit card only.

Would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Ireland Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2009

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. On behalf on Travelodge Galway I was saddened to read your comments.
I can tell you that I was not aware that any of our rooms had that many issues. Most of our furniture in Travelodge Galway is new – we purchased a lot of new furniture for this hotel when we purchased our furniture for our new hotel in Limerick. I have sent your comments to the General Manager to check the curtains in every room as this was also not brought to our attention before.

I do apologise for the noise disturbance throughout the night. We are located in the busy city and it is sometimes difficult to avoid such noises even with some level of soundproofing. However, this is something we will discuss at our next managers meeting.

If you would like to discuss these issues further, please contact me directly at the hotel. We can look at ways of satisfying your concerns.

Reviewed 30 April 2009

We used this hotel as a starting point and stayed there three different nights in three different rooms over a week. The rooms were all very clean and quiet and the staff friendly. Plenty of parking in front of the building and a secure back lot .Walk to the center of town might be about a little over ½ mile.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2009

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. They do cheer us up 

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay in Galway and we do hope to see you again soon.