“Filthy, basic.”

Ranked #166 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
dublin
“Filthy, basic.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Im actually not fussy when it comes to staying somewhere but this place was properly filthy needed a good clean we had booked 2 rooms for 3 nights and both rooms where very basic not that it bothers me but there was mould growing in every inch of the bathroom! Downstairs bar is gorgeous such a pity upstairs is so outdated.staff are helpfull except old barman who was a bit grumpy. Wouldnt stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nikcann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dublin
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
Filthy, grimy, rude woman at the desk.
Outdated, tiny box rooms, shower was awful, curtain hanging off the window.
I could go on, but wont waste my time...if you want to have a good holiday don't waste your time here.
I had to have a shower the minute I got home because I felt manky.

The only thing going for it was the food was lovely, so you are safe if you are popping in for lunch

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dublinbabe

Travellers are raving about these Galway hotels

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 209. There was three of us, my wife, myself and our son. We arrived early and the cleaners had just finished cleaning our room- or so we were told.

We received our "key" and took the lift to our floor. Once in the room our son started to move the beds as he wanted to set up his laptop on his bedside locker as there was no table and only one chair. When he pushed the double bed he was met with unbelievable filth and dirt. Crisp wrappers and condom wrappers and all sorts of rotting food stuffs. This bed had not been moved in a very long time.

The curtain (1) did not fit across the entire window and fell off the end of the rail when we tried to get it closed.

The skirting boards were covered in dirt and dust as was the TV and the coffee/tea cups.

Bathroom was not much better. Dirt around floor edging and dust on radiator and mirror light.

As we had places to be we left for a number of hours. I arrived back early to have a nap. I arrived at our room to find a cleaning cart outside. On top of the cart was a large bunch of keys and on them was room numbers. I tried the key with our room number on it and it opened our door.

I went looking for the cleaning lady and found her 6 rooms away. When she saw me with the keys she asked me what I was doing. I asked her what she was doing leaving them lying around like she had. She replied that they were to heavy to carry around.

I know installing an electronic key card system can be costly to install but a simple Masterkey system in cheap and easy to install. At least with a Masterkey the cleaner has only one key which she can keep on her person at all times. The security of my room and that of every guests must be a priority. I had a laptop and iPad in my room along with a other personal stuff and these could easily have been taken. Also simple electronic safes should be put in every room.

The lift is another problem that needs to be addressed because the sensor does not work.

When we were leaving we made our points to the girl at reception who got very cross with us because we were complaining.

This hotel needs a professional hotelier to run it. It's grimy, dirty and unpleasant. A lot of work and money is needed to bring it up to a three star establishment.

I will NEVER stay there again, ever!!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Doylerdub
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Where to star.... I'm generally not fussy and wouldn't often bother writing a review but this place really is to be avoided. I stayed for 5 nights which I had pre booked. In its favour, it was cheap and the food was okay, that's where the positives end.
The beds in my room were terrible, the shower was blocked and the walls are paper thin. There is an adjoining door to the next room but it isn't sealed properly so if people are talking next door, you could join in the conversation without even raising your voice. My room was not cleaned once during my stay. The one time I hung out the sign to service my room, the only thing that was done was I got fresh towels... And they moved the sign. My bed wasn't even made! It was made once during my stay, but I thought that was pretty standard hotel service. The reception was almost never manned, in fact I think there is only about 5 staff working there in total. I don't think there is any dedicated cleaning staff, at least I didn't see any. Because there are so few staff, they seemed to be stretched quite thin which means getting the smallest thing done takes ages.
Oh yeah, the one time I went to use the bathroom in th hotel lobby/bar there was no soap or toilet roll. I'm sure there was other stuff too, but hopefully that will be enough to prevent others from having to ensure this place.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Natnifnolnacs
Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Located directly above a below par Irish pub, the rooms are no more than cubicles separated by plaster board walls. you could hear someone fart in the room next door.. Combine this with drunken idiots and skanky women coming and going from rooms above below and beside and you have a recipe for a sleepless night.. The beds seem to have been purchased from a broken mattress shop fire sale and the place could use a good scrub..I've stayed at some pretty bad hotels in my time, however, this one is up there with the best of the worst.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank rOcksinpOckets
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have just returned from a 1 night stay in the Glenoaks in Galway. Firstly i have to say that the staff are very very good!! Having only been to Galway a few times before we were unsure of the way and had no sat nav,we rang hotel and were giving very clear and easy instructions on how to get there. Very warm welcome and again great advice on where to eat in the city center. However that is were the good things about the glenoaks stop. The best i can say about the room was that it was clean! Very small with a broken computer desk,no hairdryer(although again the lovely girl on reception sorted this for us) Broken plug sockets and the bed was very hard. We didnt go into the bar but it did look very nice and welcoming. I wouldnt go back to stay in the Glenoaks again unless the rooms had been redone!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank KarD_13
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The hotel was located about 10 minutes from the city centre. We pre-booked online and stayed at the hotel for a few days. The room is sufficiently big for beds, wardrobe and side tables only. There was a mirror on the wall, but you'd have to bend down to look at it. The beds are old and my wife had to sleep on a bed where the springs can be felt - hard!

The hotel was reasonably clean - although on one day they did not come in to clean our room.

There is a pub at the ground floor and wifi. The reception staff was attentive and friendly.

All in all, if you need a room for two to sleep and don't mind the basic features of the hotel then at about Euro 35, this is a reasonable deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family