“Yummy”

Ardawn House
Ranked #17 of 185 Galway B&B and Inns
“Yummy”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Our first B&B in Ireland and a memorable stay! Gracious hosts ( and helpful!), delicious breakfasts, comfy bed and an easy stroll to the happening town centre. I only wish we had found it sooner but we do plan to come back and this is where we plan to stay! Thank you for a lovely visit. p.s. Better luck next year Cork!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
El Cajon, California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at Ardawn House for three nights in mid-October and would highly recommend it. Our room was spacious, clean, & comfortable, and the location was convenient for walking to all the important sites. Parking was available for our rental car right in front of their building. The downstairs sitting room was beautifully decorated and had comfortable furniture, hot tea, and biscuits. They arranged for us to have our laundry done at a reasonable price so we didn't waste any valuable time. There is a convenient nearby bus station where we joined a wonderful day long tour to the Aran islands, recommended by the owners. On the last day my wife injured her knee hiking in the Burren and the owners' son drove us directly to a clinic which provided excellent emergency medical care at a very affordable price. I tried to pay them extra for the free shuttle service to the clinic but they wouldn't accept the money. This B&B is a great choice if you are staying in Galway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here 3 nights in October. It is located close to the bus and train station and just a short jaunt to the city centre this is a lovely B&B. My room had wonderful amounts of light - with two sky lights. It is located about a 15-20 minute walk from the city centre, which I found to be wonderful as you are close enough, but in a quiet area when it's time to finally sleep! The room was clean and well attended to. The breakfast was delicious - especially the insanely filling full Irish! Best of all the hosts were friendly, knowledgable and very helpful. For example: on my last day with them I was heading to the Aran Islands for an over night trip before coming back to Galway to then head on to Dublin. I had not told my hosts, but was a bit worried about what to do with all my extra luggage as I was intending to rent a bike on the Inis Mor (the Aran islands) and didn't want to lug all my things. Before I could even ask they offered to stow my bag over night (even though I wasn't staying there) and made gave me a key to the front door so I could come and retrieve my bags at my convenience. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I were very pleased with our experience at Ardawn House. On our arrival, we were greeted warmly by Breda, who showed us around the house and gave us some great suggestions for dining and things to do while in Galway. We later met Mike, who was equally as friendly. Our room was simple, but nice. Previous reviews mentioned small showers--I'd have to agree, but the shower was not as small as some other B&Bs we stayed in on our trip. Breakfasts, served in the darling little dining room, were great--Mike made the best poached eggs I've ever had. There were cute little menus from which to order and a wide selection of cereals, juices, and yogurts with toppings. We knew the location was off the beaten path, which was partially why we chose it (it was also listed in Rick Steves book--and we can see why!), but it was about a brisk 10 minute walk to the city center. If you're looking for a quiet, comfortable place to unwind with a cup of tea after a day of seeing the sites, stay at Ardawn House.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at Ardawn House for 2 nights, and I wish it could have been longer. Our room was spacious, quiet, lovely and comfortable. The shower was especially luxurious. We were greeted when we arrived with a very helpful, easy to follow explanation of how to get into town (about a 5 min walk) and exactly where to go to see the quaint little Irish shopping and river area.
Breda and Mike are lovely people- friendly and kind. I wasn't feeling well and worried about it, and Breda was very sweet to me and introduced me to her chemist who solved the problem for me. Breda also gave my daughter and I tips on some very sweet little shops and the perfect restaurant to have our final dinner in Galway at.
The breakfast room was beautiful and relaxing, I so wish we could have had more meals there! A menu gives you a variety of delicious warm choices, and there's a beautifully laid out breakfast bar with fruit salad, yogurt, cereals, breads and jams. Coffee and tea are always available.
This was the best of any B & B or hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed in Ardwan House for 3nights in sept 2013. This B&B is only a 20 minutes walk away from the centre of Galway. Upon arrival very warm welcome and plenty of explanations to discover Galway. The room, under the roof, was large, modern and perfect, the bathroom very clean. The breakfast was with a buffet and a daily choice of eggs, salmon or bacon nicely cooked by the man of the house. His wife is a warm and friendly person giving good advice regarding nice places to see and to eat,.. Free coffee, thee and biscuits were available in the living room.We enjoyed our stay very much and recommend Ardawn House to anyone travelling to Galway ! Luc and Fabienne - Belgium

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent one night at the Ardawn House near the end of our week in Ireland. We had just dropped a rental car off after touring western Ireland. Ardawn House is a 15 minute walk to the train and bus station--you just do not need a car in Galway or for the Ardawn House. Even though we were early, Mike welcomed us warmly and immedatly gave us suggestions for a late lunch. Our room was nice with a very old world European feel. The pillows and beds were very comfortable!
Make sure to follow the map as you head down to city center. College Road runs on a bit of a diagonal and it took us a bit to get oriented.
We had a fantastic breakfast the following morning! Breda handled a rush of nearly all the guests at the same time with poise and a smile. The fresh eggs and local bacon were a treat. She even shared her wonderful bread recipe with us!
This was a nice spot, lovely hospitality. I would stay there again if we were coming through Galway!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family