“Great little hotel!!”

Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Galway, Ireland
“Great little hotel!!”
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, clean rooms, I specifically used this hotel as they were the only one anywhere in Galway city that had SkySports in their bedrooms (important as NFL Divisional playoffs were on during my stay!) - I really think the hotel could advertise this more as it's a huge bonus for sports fans.
The location is ideal for anyone visiting Galway as it's smack in the heart of the city.
Overall really enjoyed my stay, couldn't fault a thing. Will be back!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RonanMcGrath79
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated by us all here at the hotel.

Front Office & Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Really good bar in the heart of Galway. Staff were very friendly and the Guinness was good. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there during my 2 visits this holiday!! I didn't try the food, but it looked good from what I saw.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us.

I will pass your kind words on to all our team & I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Front Office Manager
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent two nights here, and were pleasantly surprised at almost every turn. While I understand that sometimes people have legitimately bad experiences, hotels, like other aspects in life, are what you make of it - Don't let the few negative reviews keep you from making a very good decision to stay at the Skeffington Arms.

The location is prime: 3 minutes walk from the train station (while carrying luggage....a lot of luggage). Smack in the middle of the town square. 10 minutes walk to Spanish arch. 3 minutes walk to the Latin Quarter....you get the idea.

We knew in advance that we would arrive at the hotel before the normal 3:00 check-in, as our train from Dublin was due to arrive at 1:30 PM, so we had requested an early check-in. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with smiles, professionalism, and a good dose of the famous Irish Hospitality. They took care of our early check-in quite handily, and assigned us a room on the second floor (Rm 212).

The room was definitely on the smallish side, in comparison to most American hotels, but was well-appointed. It was big enough for two people (with luggage....a lot of luggage), very clean, well stocked with coffees and a variety of teas, air conditioning/heat, safe, flat screen TV, nicely furnished....no complaints, at all. If you're looking for the 4 Seasons.....go stay at the 4 Seasons. If you're looking for a good hotel, with a great staff (and location), that provides everything you need and much more, stay at the Skeff.

The bathroom was small, but there was an endless supply of incredibly hot water, with good water pressure in the shower. The usual assortment of bathroom goodies (shampoo, lotions, and the like) were present on the bathroom counter.

The nice surprises continued with breakfast. (I definitely recommend booking a rate that includes breakfast.) Breakfast is served in the back of the adjoining pub. The atmosphere at the pub is unbeatable. The service from the breakfast staff is great. You're given a menu when you're seated, which has enough options to please anyone (I personally recommend the Full Irish....if you're still hungry after you eat it, then you're just not trying hard enough). There's also a table full of fresh baked breads and scones, homemade jams, smoothies, juices, parfaits, and other things that I forget.

Did I mention that the pub is frickin' amazing?! Quite possibly the single most amazing pub I've ever been in. It's a dark wood maze of staircases, multi-level floors, seating for the whole county, and plenty of local folks (of all ages) to talk with over a pint. Be warned...once you enter the pub, you may not want to leave. On the weekends the pub is a hot-spot, and does get very loud. We didn't have any problems with the noise, but you may wanna bring some earplugs.

The hotel staff, from reception to housekeeping, is great! Attentive and helpful. Always a friendly greeting. Always there to help with local info, suggestions, and to tend to your every need. In my opinion the staff really helps the Skeffington Arms stand out. The only problem we had during our stay (and I really mean, the only problem), was that the wifi became incredibly slow on one occasion, and, as I needed to send a few work related emails, I asked the staff for help, and they did absolutely everything they could to help me. (The wifi speed was very good at all other times). The staff at the hotel is also kind enough to loan you a power adapter, in case you forget to bring yours, like I did - just be sure to return it.

If you wanna have fun, at a fun hotel, in a fun location - the Skeff will do just fine. We will definitely stay here again, if we're fortunate enough for our travels to bring us to Galway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. There is a lot of noise on the weekends from the hotel pub. Addit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrewSouth
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Skeffington Arms Hotel as your base for your recent visit to the "City of the Tribes". What a lovely review ........are you free when we are writing our next brochure? It was a pleasure to share your post with our team during our weekly review of guest feedback. .

I was delighted to read that you rated our staff so highly which thankfully is a regular refrain within our guest reviews. We do pride ourselves in good customer services and also offering our guests the very best of food from breakfast to dinner. Our team here at the hotel is among the friendliest out there, definitely something in the Galway water I think!! It is our ultimate goal to provide all of our guests with a high level of comfort and your kind comments really make all of the hard work worthwhile.

We are so fortunate with our location being right in the heart of Eyre Square in the middle of everything Galway has to offer.
Again thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down on virtual paper!

On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, thank you for being our guest and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, thank you for being our guest and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when your travels allow.

Slan agus beannacht,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Fab location, right in the heart of Galway. Great food and friendly staff. I stayed on business and I was really looked after. However, unless you are there to party, you might want to make sure you book a quiet room. Can be very noisy.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room unless you are there to party!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013

Belfast
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Really nice place!! Food was lovely and nicely presented!! Good friendly atmosphere!! Staff helpful!!Recommend!!!Really good location situated in Eyre Square!! Appear to be famous for cocktails with a menu going through the different decades!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013

Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

just back from another stay at the skeff and i must say this hotel has always come up trumps,never had a bad stay here all the staff great rooms good food good service good what more could you ask for once again well done the skeff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harrys11
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013

Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is centrally located in Galway. Walking distance to shops, local sights, and pubs. And speaking of clubs, there are bedrooms that look onto an alley way which houses a nice disco. We were in one of these rooms and were up till 2 listening to the very good music. Had I had more energy I would have gone out and joined the party. We had just driven in from traveling the Ring of Kerry so we were beat. Oh and I should mention this was a Wednesday night! Needless to say the nightlife in Galway is strong! So, if you are in for early evenings and rest I don't recommend this hotel. Otherwise enjoy!

Besides the noise, the room was comfy and clean. Good hot water pressure. Wifi was not strong in the rooms. I had to go to the common are to use ichat. Bed comfort was decent. I would not buy the breakfast there. You can walk outside and hit many places serving breakfast for less.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank hdgahog
Skeffingtonmanager, Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear hdgahog,

Many thanks for your review of the Skeffington Arms Hotel.
I was happy to read that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We have since had our IT Department do a complete overhaul on our Wifi system.
As we enjoy a Central location being within walking distance to the local sights and shops and amenities overlooking Eyre Square some of our rooms can get noise from time to time however we also have a large selection of quiet rooms available here at the Skeffington Arms.
We offer a large variety on our breakfast menu starting at just €6.50 for our bacon & cheese scones with scrambled egg & Colleran’s bacon and tomato relish.
Overall I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will stay again in the future.

With Kind Regards,