Skeffington Arms Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewseyre squarenight portercentral locationcar parkchristmas marketgalway cityexcellent locationtrain stationsconesbreakfast roomroom was spotlessreception areaboth nightsnoisecrunchieearplugsreceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Drove into town one evening and saw a hotel in town. Quoted a fair nightly price, and checked out the room before registering. Everything was fine. Recommend a second or third floor room due to the nightclub bar on the first floor. It gets pretty busy. They have a nice breakfast from a menu included in the rate. People staying at the hotel can enjoy an additional hour at the bar after they close.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LocalGatlinburg
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated by us all here at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to us very soon and thanks again for your review.

Best Wishes from all the team,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I booked a room with my friend.I asked for a twin room and I paid 60 euro.I told the receptionist we were going out as it was my friend's graduation night and she said that was perfect and the night porter would let us in if we buzzed at the door.I paid by card and then signed my details and my friend's details on a form.We then went to our room got dressed and went to the Skeff pub to meet our friends.We stayed in the Skeff until 2 o clock and then I rang the buzzer.I told the night porter we were returning to our room and I told him my name ,said our number and showed him my key.He then told me there was already a Michelle Dunne in the room and he closed the door in our faces.I rang the buzzer again and he did nt answer but I continued to ring it.He opened the door and I told him we had both keys there couldnt be anyone in our room!!!I told him both names .He asked for Id which we gave him.He told me there was no documentation saying it was our room but my friend saw he had a form with our names on it in his hand.She said it to him and he then said "fine you want me to go up and check if there are people in your room??"He got very angry with us and he kept saying "Are you sure?".I said of course I am if there are people in my room I want them out now ,This was not just because I wanted to go to bed but all our stuff were in that room including my friends ipad!!!He brought us up .He made a number of comments which were obviously hinting we had snuck people in but we hadnt and I dont understand why he thought we did because there were two beds in the room so the room was for two so there were just two keys and we had both keys!!We went to the room and the room was empty of course.He didnt even apologise he just said it was for your own safety ( which I dont understand because he was closing the door on two girls at 2 o clock in the morning and we actually had nowhere to go!!!).He just left then.I want to say there was a younger porter,a young lad who accompanied him up to the room and he was apologetic and he was very nice when I was obviously getting very anxious because I was terrified there were people in the room and they would have our stuff ( especially the ipad) gone.I want to make sure the Skeff know who the terribly rude night porter is but I do not know his name.He is bald and has black square glasses.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank michelledunne2204
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for taking them time to review our hotel and for choosing to stay with us. I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and the team that there were elements of your stay which you found disappointing.

I have reviewed your feedback whilst speaking to our night porter & also the member of staff on duty that night and I can appreciate how the actions of the night staff seemed inconvenient at the time however we are very conscious of the safety of all our guests. I am very sorry to read that you found our night porter to be rude this is not the norm as our night porter is has a high level of customer service. I and would be very grateful for the opportunity to apologise personally and to discuss your feedback as nothing was mention on check out to reception or myself the next day as this happened November 2013. If you would like to contact me our telephone number is 091 563173 and my email address is lisa@skeffington.ie .
I do hope that you have the chance to experience our normal excellent standards should you return.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to the opportunity to introduce myself and apologise in person.

Yours Sincerely,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, clean rooms, I specifically used this hotel as they were the only one anywhere in Galway city that had SkySports in their bedrooms (important as NFL Divisional playoffs were on during my stay!) - I really think the hotel could advertise this more as it's a huge bonus for sports fans.
The location is ideal for anyone visiting Galway as it's smack in the heart of the city.
Overall really enjoyed my stay, couldn't fault a thing. Will be back!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RonanMcGrath79
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you back to us very soon and thanks again for your review.

Best Wishes from all the team,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Really good bar in the heart of Galway. Staff were very friendly and the Guinness was good. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there during my 2 visits this holiday!! I didn't try the food, but it looked good from what I saw.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor about your recent visit to The Skeff Bar & Kitchen. I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us.

I will pass your kind words on to all our team & I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 18 December 2013

My girlfriend and I recently spent two nights here, and were pleasantly surprised at almost every turn. While I understand that sometimes people have legitimately bad experiences, hotels, like other aspects in life, are what you make of it - Don't let the few negative reviews keep you from making a very good decision to stay at the Skeffington Arms.

The location is prime: 3 minutes walk from the train station (while carrying luggage....a lot of luggage). Smack in the middle of the town square. 10 minutes walk to Spanish arch. 3 minutes walk to the Latin Quarter....you get the idea.

We knew in advance that we would arrive at the hotel before the normal 3:00 check-in, as our train from Dublin was due to arrive at 1:30 PM, so we had requested an early check-in. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with smiles, professionalism, and a good dose of the famous Irish Hospitality. They took care of our early check-in quite handily, and assigned us a room on the second floor (Rm 212).

The room was definitely on the smallish side, in comparison to most American hotels, but was well-appointed. It was big enough for two people (with luggage....a lot of luggage), very clean, well stocked with coffees and a variety of teas, air conditioning/heat, safe, flat screen TV, nicely furnished....no complaints, at all. If you're looking for the 4 Seasons.....go stay at the 4 Seasons. If you're looking for a good hotel, with a great staff (and location), that provides everything you need and much more, stay at the Skeff.

The bathroom was small, but there was an endless supply of incredibly hot water, with good water pressure in the shower. The usual assortment of bathroom goodies (shampoo, lotions, and the like) were present on the bathroom counter.

The nice surprises continued with breakfast. (I definitely recommend booking a rate that includes breakfast.) Breakfast is served in the back of the adjoining pub. The atmosphere at the pub is unbeatable. The service from the breakfast staff is great. You're given a menu when you're seated, which has enough options to please anyone (I personally recommend the Full Irish....if you're still hungry after you eat it, then you're just not trying hard enough). There's also a table full of fresh baked breads and scones, homemade jams, smoothies, juices, parfaits, and other things that I forget.

Did I mention that the pub is frickin' amazing?! Quite possibly the single most amazing pub I've ever been in. It's a dark wood maze of staircases, multi-level floors, seating for the whole county, and plenty of local folks (of all ages) to talk with over a pint. Be warned...once you enter the pub, you may not want to leave. On the weekends the pub is a hot-spot, and does get very loud. We didn't have any problems with the noise, but you may wanna bring some earplugs.

The hotel staff, from reception to housekeeping, is great! Attentive and helpful. Always a friendly greeting. Always there to help with local info, suggestions, and to tend to your every need. In my opinion the staff really helps the Skeffington Arms stand out. The only problem we had during our stay (and I really mean, the only problem), was that the wifi became incredibly slow on one occasion, and, as I needed to send a few work related emails, I asked the staff for help, and they did absolutely everything they could to help me. (The wifi speed was very good at all other times). The staff at the hotel is also kind enough to loan you a power adapter, in case you forget to bring yours, like I did - just be sure to return it.

If you wanna have fun, at a fun hotel, in a fun location - the Skeff will do just fine. We will definitely stay here again, if we're fortunate enough for our travels to bring us to Galway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. There is a lot of noise on the weekends from the hotel pub. Additionally, there is an after hours club behind the hotel which can also produce a lot of noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrewSouth
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Skeffington Arms Hotel as your base for your recent visit to the "City of the Tribes". What a lovely review ........are you free when we are writing our next brochure? It was a pleasure to share your post with our team during our weekly review of guest feedback. .

I was delighted to read that you rated our staff so highly which thankfully is a regular refrain within our guest reviews. We do pride ourselves in good customer services and also offering our guests the very best of food from breakfast to dinner. Our team here at the hotel is among the friendliest out there, definitely something in the Galway water I think!! It is our ultimate goal to provide all of our guests with a high level of comfort and your kind comments really make all of the hard work worthwhile.

We are so fortunate with our location being right in the heart of Eyre Square in the middle of everything Galway has to offer.
Again thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down on virtual paper!

On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, thank you for being our guest and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, thank you for being our guest and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when your travels allow.

Slan agus beannacht,