“Brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Leitrim, Ireland
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

For my mother's birthday, we decided to dine out in the Park House Hotel for lunch. As I also work in a four star hotel, I enjoy visiting other hotels to see differences in service and different aspects of the hotel itself. When we got to the hotel, a young man in a suit met us, I didn't catch his name and seated us and was so pleasant and helpful, even taking our shopping bags while we dined and laughed along with my father's poor jokes. He picked up on the fact that it was my mother's birthday straight away, and without any of us noticing he had got my mother's name from my sister. When we were seated, we were served by a lovely woman named Caroline, who couldn't have been more helpful. We got talking to a few ladies who were walking around ensuring everything was to our satisfaction, which made us feel more comfortable during the meal. Then all the staff came to our table with dessert for mam's birthday, singing happy birthday to her which made the experience 10/10. So impressed with the service, attention to detail and professionalism of everyone in the hotel, also need to comment on the price of the meals, couldn't believe how cheap they were for the size and quality. Must comment again about the host and the waitress, so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be visiting this hotel a lot more in the future, well done :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen_McGirl91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had a fabulous night away in the Park House Hotel. We were upgraded and spent a very comfortable evening and Sunday morning lounging in bathrobes and even had room service breakfast. Staff were great, so helpful and attentive. Felt like all stress was left with the car keys on arrival!

Room Tip: All rooms fine - no noise issues.
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We had booked into a different hotel in Galway which didn't work out for us so this was a last minute decison based on the rating on TripAdvisor. The girl on reception was very friendly and helpful. Not knowing which room was better - Superior or Deluxe - we booked a superior room. The room wasn't bad but had a lot of excess furniture which just took up space in the room. I went online while in the room and realised that the Deluxe was a better room. There were no facilities in this hotel so we wanted a nice room as we were staying for 3 nights. We enquired about a Deluxe room, they had none but they gave us a Junior Suite at the same price. We had breakfast on the 1st morning - it was ok but we found the tables to be very close together and very small for two people. We did not come down for breakfast for the rest of our stay. We had booked dinner on the Sunday nite - the restaurant in the hotel had been recommended to us. We arrived down at 8pm and were done and dusted by 9pm amazing speed eating dinner!!!! Not really what we were looking for....we were not sure whether the staff were looking to finish up early or whether this was the norm. The tables again (we were at a 2 person table) were too close together and too small - you just couldn't relax due to that and the fact that the food came so fast. When we finished our mains we asked for a few minutes to finish our wine before we ordered coffee and desert, when we called the waitress to order we told her we wanted to take it outside in the comfort of the lobby....she said she would have to go and ask!!! We weren't leaving the hotel just leaving the uncomfortable restaurant. Anyway we went to the lobby and desert and coffees followed shortly afterwards. The food was good but all of the other things took away from it and the whole experience was not enjoyable. The hotel was ok, not great but ok - location was very good. I'm not sure if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in a junior suite on the fourth floor not much of a view but a very quiet floor.
4 Thank GreeceQBee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

After having read all the great reviews here, I was expecting a great hotel experience. Unfortunately it was severely lacking.

I arrived by car and was expecting valet parking as advertised. With no valet visible I parked myself in the tiny provided space. After I parked, the valet appeared but ignored me.

Check-in was fine but the receptionist was doing some paperwork so I had to wait for a minute or two while she finished that up.
The room was disappointing. The window faced internally onto a grotty parking lot. I was given a room with a disabled bathroom for some reason; I'm not disabled. The room was awkwardly shaped and small. The mattress was thin and well-worn. The TV was an ancient CRT.

If I wasn't just looking for a place to sleep for the night and was looking for a great hotel experience, I would have been even more disappointed. For an alleged 4 star hotel and for the price I paid, I found it severely lacking.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Eoin O
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent a number of days between Christmas & New Years at the hotel. The level of service provided was excellent and there is a real warm feel to the hotel which is a contrast to some experiences with the bigger chain hotels.

The staff were very helpful and were attentive to details. We dined in the restaurant both at breakfast and on two evenings and the quality of the food is really good. On other nights we tried different places but nothing surpassed the in house dining. The food for the New Years Eve was amazing - however the entertainment was geared towards an older age group so depending on what you are looking for I would suggest that you take an earlier sitting and head out to the town for an alternative to this.

We had a deluxe room which had plenty of room and despite being in the front of the house noise from the street was never an issue. The hotel itself is well located in the heart of the city. Parking can be a challenge but the hotel staff were really good and ensuring that the car was available when needed.

Overall I would definitely return to this hotel for a future visit to Galway.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Wonderful charming town centre hotel which has retained its character.

The staff are full of a warm Irish welcome from the moment you check in.

The reception curves round with plenty of sofas and tables to sit with friends.

The rooms are clean and have all the facilities you need.

Car parking is available

Breakfast is cooked to order with plenty of staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

For my girlfriends birthday she wanted a weekend getaway. We hadn't been to Galway yet as a couple, so I began looking for hotels in Galway. Tripadvisor has served me well over the years, and seeing the Park House as the top ranked I figured I'd give it a shot. Initially though I was a little sceptical of my choice, because we're a late 20's couple and normally stay in modern hotels and the Park House looked a little too old worldly from its website. That said, we were going to Galway for the city, not in particular the hotel, so I stuck with the Park House.

Well I can only say great things about the Park House. From the free valet, to the warm welcome and the large rooms, the Park House is a hotel I'll be recommending to anyone who stays in Galway. I had booked a standard room, but when we get in the door I was nearly sure it was upgraded to a suite. Either that or rooms are some of the biggest in Ireland.

By chance we had friends staying in the G Hotel down the road, and they were not as impressed with their hotel as we were. Its been said in other reviews, but its the service that sets the Park House apart. That and the location! Keep up the good work Park House & Staff!