“Standards have dropped so much in this once great hotel”
Review of Park House Hotel

Park House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Galway
ireland
“Standards have dropped so much in this once great hotel”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It is with a heavy heart that I feel compelled to write this review as I have been going to this hotel once or twice a year for over 25 years.The last few times I have noticed things slipping but kept thinking that it would get better.This weekend past was the final straw.My friend and her husband have been regulars for years and their experience annoyed them too.First checking in was like we were criminals looking for cash up front in my friends case.As I had a voucher I didnt experience the cash business till I went to pay for the wine after dinner when I was told pay me cash for the wine now.When I explained that I would sort it out later I was told its orders?????Remember they had our car keys!!!The bedroom was spotless as always but really in this day and age I think a curtain round a bath with a shower head on the wall in a four star hotel was not on.They hadnt even a facecloth in the bathroom.The air con was more like a jcb when on but the final straw was the noise from the overhead room I think. Maybe corrider it was hard to tell where it came from.I checked our landing and there were no people on it .It was like there were twenty people juming on squeeky floorboards ALL NIGHT LONG.I never slept at all that night and was glad to check out yesterday morning..There was a mature man on reception in the morning and I explained my problem the previous night.I was told that he didnt sleep very well himself and that he never had anyone say that about that noise before.You will see from my previous reviews that I am more than fair when I review places.Im not one who complains for the sake of it but this has to annoy other guests.It is def not the hotel it once was and I wont EVER stay there again .They will get on fine though as its so handy for the city centre and I always recommended it to fellow Donegal folk in the past.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lisireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Malmö
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed two nights here. Very plush hotel, cosy and comfortable. A bit difficult to find the parking, which is entered from another street. Rooms spacy enough, sound-proofed and well-equipped. The pillows were too high for my neck, but I was given lower ones when I pointed this out. Superb breakfast, with a good choice of both cooked and cold food. Good selection of fruits. Two things could be improved on: 1. I could not see any indication of a green or eco-friendly profile (except for organic yoghurts at breakfast) and 2. The staff were professional and complying but rather stiff and formal. I would not hesitate to return though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pomarinus
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here with my family for three nights, and the generally okay hotel was ruined by terrible service at check out. I had asked for more time to check out of the Hotel, at which point the surly girl at reception said I could have an extra 15 mins. I was not going to be able to make this considering that my baby was sick and needed to go into town for medicine and finish packing. As I went to collect my car my family where then harassed by rude managerial staff asking constantly when we would be gone, whilst it was obvious we were trying out best to leave. My wife also told me that the manager was looking down at my wife as she was Chinese. I think one think is certain - I would never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone. I understand there are check out policies and sometimes there are other parties waiting for a room - but why make two groups unsatisfied when you should manage the incomers experience later. Simple management ideas that would even expect at a 1 star hotel.

Room Tip: chose a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank j k
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I've stayed at the Park House a few times and have always been impressed with the fantastic service, lovely rooms and great location. The rooms are really comfortable, the food is excellent, the price was reasonable (February stay, 2 people 109 Euros/night including parking and breakfast). I'm writing my first review because the service this time was exceptional - we were here for a family funeral and the staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. In the past we had stayed at Jury's - a good hotel. The Park House is much nicer and a better value when you consider breakfast, parking and the level of service. We'll never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I got to this hotel and wasn't offered any assistance with parking - I thought parking was valet? Then when checking in I was told there was a €12 extra charge for parking. What kind of hotel charges extra for parking? This is the first time that has even happened. This also wasn't indicated during my booking.

Pros:
Very clean hotel and room
Staff were pleasant
Perfect location

Cons:
Hidden and ridiculous extra charge
Room was quite small
Toilet needed multiple flushes
Stingy with the soaps/shampoos

Overall disappointed with this supposedly 4 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulcredmond
Carloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This wonderfully located hotel just off Eyre Sq. is truly top notch. After a struggle to find the car park, the wonderfully efficient attendant Brendan took over and upon my return 20 minutes later had me beautifully parked. Kudos and many thanks Brendan.
This set the standard for what the Park House represents. The quality of service is outstanding from each and every member of staff from all across their various roles within the organisation.
Rooms top drawer, food and quality of service second to none, yet all accomplished while sporting a warm friendly smile.
In a time when we bemoan the quality of service on offer from other outlets, it's great to see that this little country can still provide the "traditional" Irish welcome and maintain it effortlessly.
That's what you get in this gem of an hotel.

Many thanks again to all concerned.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I was not expecting to find such a lovely hotel in the centre of this busy and vibrant city of Galway, Ireland but was very pleasantly surprised when we stayed there this week (Jan 2014). The staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient, the food was first class and the bedroom was large and very comfortable. It is only a 2 minute walk to Eyre Square and minutes from the waterfront in the opposite direction. The only drawback was the parking is very tight and not easy to find on approach but the porter was very efficient and took my keys and found a spot for me during the night. Overall, top marks for quality, friendliness and value for money!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business