“Very disappointed! ”
Review of Park House Hotel

Park House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times and loved it, but my last stay was quite disappointing. I contacted the hotel with these concerns but no response, hence I'm highlighting them here!

I stayed at your hotel last week & feel the need to share a few issues we encountered. As a returning customer I was very much looking forward to our stay. I had recently been in touch we the hotel regarding a voucher we had & wanted to use. On arrival I was asked for a card to swipe, I handed over my visa debit card and was met with oh do you not have a credit card. I said no but I have a voucher to use. The voucher amount covered the price of our room, we had dinner booked in the restaurant and using the remaining balance for that. I was aware we would have to pay the balance on departure. No card swipe was taken and the person on reception held onto the voucher.

When we arrived to dinner & ordered our food, there was an issue with charging our meal. I explained we had money still on the voucher & would pay any outstanding balance. The waitress was not happy with this as our key card had indicated not to charge to our room number. This was highly embarrassing in a packed restaurant & certainly dampened the holiday mood. After discussion I asked the waitress to clarify this situation at the reception which she did and told us that was fine, as I expected it would be. We then ordered our dinner from the set menu but when we received the bill, each item was billed seperate making our meal more expensive. I was so disappointed with thus as we clearly stated we were eating from the set dinner menu. Once again, an embarrassing situation in a busy restaurant.

Unfortunately our breakfast was no better. We gave our room number and were seated. The waitress arrived to our table and questioned the room number again which I confirmed and she said it had already been crossed off the list, implying we had already eaten breakfast. We are parents of two small kiddies who were glad of the night away and the lie in so we were not at breakfast early.
I have stayed with you on numerous occasions as have my family. I usually stay with my mam & sister in Oct Nov for my mams birthday and have been facilitated with a triple room every year, however this year I am not too keen to return on account of my experiences last week. I feel that because I didn't produce a credit card and was paying by voucher I was treated differently to other guests who appeared to be very well looked after. Just feel you should be aware of our stay.

Stayed: August 2014
20  Thank JCullen92
There are newer reviews for Park House Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Highly recommend this hotel. In previous trips, I usually stay at the Meyrick, formerly the Great Southern. Parking your car there was always troublesome as the lot is several blocks away. Park House has its own parking lot. Very convenient if wanted access to your car during the stay. It is a plush hotel ideally located a block from the bus and train station and Eyre Square. We took advantage of their on-line discount with savings on the room and parking and breakfast. Great restaurant and very friendly and helpful staff -- particularly the bartenders. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street. It's much quieter.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Can I say that I loved this hotel, even though there were many things about it that would usually bother me?

This is a lovely, old, grand hotel, which is usually not my thing to begin with. I love clean, modern, updated accommodations, with pristine new furnishings and beds that feel like I'm the first one to sleep in them. And the Park House Hotel is none of that; in fact, it's kind of old and a little shabby.

In our room the carpet was torn and there was a throw rug in the entrance way to cover the worn spots. The furniture had seen better days: it was chipped in more than a few places and missing drawer pulls. The bathroom had been updated sometime in the last decade, I think, but the tub surround included a dated floral tile and the marble on the floors and counters were scratched, stained, and cracked. And yet, I loved this hotel!

Everyone we met in Galway who asked us where we were staying, from our tour guide, to our taxi cab driver responded when we told them, "Ah, the Park House Hotel. You know that's owned by an old Galway family?"

Well, now I do, and I truly think that's what made the difference: a family who cares deeply about their business and makes sure that all the people who work for them care too.

The front desk staff was endlessly patient with our many, many questions about accommodations and activities. They made phone calls on our behalf when we were having trouble with our cell phone. When they saw us sitting in the lobby, they came right over and offered us coffee -- and when they brought it (the most delicious coffee ever, along with the real cream we'd requested) the tray included a beautiful array of little cookies, too. All complimentary!

Our room, in spite of the shabbiness, was huge and full of enough furniture for us to actually enjoy a picnic dinner from the supermarket, all spread out on the giant desk to which we'd pulled up four of the chairs. And the location could not have been better! Right off of Eyre Square -- the starting point for exploring Galway.

We enjoyed the convenience of the valet parking, too, although I will mention that when we realized that we'd left a needed item in the car it was a jaunt of a couple of blocks to the garage to retrieve it (a parking attendant uncomplainingly accompanied us there). Just make sure you have everything you need when you hand over the keys.

The breakfast spread was among the very best we enjoyed on our whole 2-week Ireland trip, with an impressive array of croissants and pastries, fruits, yogurts, and juices, not to mention hot entrees. The service was excellent.

In spite of its few shortcomings, I wholeheartedly recommend the Park House Hotel, and if I ever have the pleasure of returning to Galway, it is where I will most definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Eohippus
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We arrived on the coach from Dublin and the Hotel couldn't have been better located for us. Also in relation to the main pedestrian areas it is really well located.
The front desk staff are all helpful and friendly. The rooms are more than adequate, comfy bed, shower was acceptable but needs more pressure.
Breakfast was a pleasant experience with a good choice of food. The lounge areas are good with plenty of seating (free WiFi) with a relaxing quality.
Didn't try the restaurant but it appeared to busy most days.

3  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is truly a beautiful hotel - beautiful interior, beautiful location and beatifully accommodating staff. The interior decoration was far nicer than we expected - as was the room. I can't imagine you can do better in Galway. The location is perfect - 5 minute walk to the train station, good pubs across the street, and an easy walk down to the main pedestrian area. Also nice that there is a Budget car rental office around the corner if you want to get out and try you luck on the wrong side of the road. Staff is nothing short of excellent. We arrived after the kitchen was closed, after a long travel day, and the bartender made us sandwiches himself. Everyone we interacted with seemed sincerely interested in making sure our stay was memorable. Great bar and restaurant - and the breakfast was the perfect way to start the day.

4  Thank AzHawki84
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great location close to Eyre square and the rest of the city centre. The hotel is a little bit old and tired and definitely caters for the more mature rather than the youth traveller. When we were there had a bus tour coming through for dinner which meant service was a little slow at times. There is a small car park at rear and the staff will look after your car while you stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great location and very helpful staff. Very nicely appointed rooms and common areas. within easy walking distance of the shopping district and lots of pubs and restaurants. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to Ireland

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family