“The best hotel experience in years.”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 11 June 2011

From the moment we arrived until we checked out we felt at home. The front desk staff was fantastic, quick and efficient. Bar and restaurant wait staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. we would stay there again in a heartbeat.
This hotel is situated near the downtown area so walking was a pleasant experience for shopping and eating. With regards to the west coast of Ireland we enjoyed the side trips to the Abby and coastal villages. Watch out for the sheep on the road.

1  Thank BillKlenner
Write a ReviewReviews (2,780)

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Stayed here with a friend and really enjoyed it. The cupcakes they provide in the room are delicious! Our trip included use of the thermal suite and it was really really relaxing. The thermal suite was beautifully designed. The room was immaculate and so comfy. Didn't eat dinner there though- its quite dear! Breakfast was included and was delicious. Service was a bit slow for ordering drinks (in the lounge rooms) but we were in no rush.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank kermur
Reviewed 10 June 2011

The g hotel lived up to its advertising claims. Free underground parking with direct elevator access to the Lobby was very convenient. Beautifully bright and airy public areas (courtesy of interior designer Philip Treacy) caught our eyes on arrival. An extremely gracious and helpful Receptionist and Concierge greeted us. Large and well appointed bedroom was allotted to us, with a daily supply of toiletries.
We ate casually in on of the bar areas on our first evening and it was very satisfactory.
The choice on the cooked Brekfast menu was as good as I have had in any hotel. Apart from the usual Irish breakfast and /or variations of the same, we had eggs benedictine, freshly grilled fish in a very light lemon sauce and there was a delightful array of fruits, cold meats/smoked salmon and breads and pastries.
The hotel offers bargain breaks and last minute offers which are fantastic value for money.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: I suspect all the room s are fairly similar.
2  Thank Raysie
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at the G Hotel in May for a short romantic break. I have wanted to experience this hotel for so long because of it’s uniqueness and was thrilled to be going but I have to say I was sadly disappointed.

After arriving on Friday evening we were both tired and decided to order room service. To my disbelief I found what the chef later confirmed was a piece of bone in my burger! On a positive note my complaint was dealt with quickly and we were given complimentary sweets which were nice but by all means fall short of an appropriate apology.

After our previous experience the evening before we were hesitant to dine in the Metz restaurant but were glad we did as we really enjoyed our meal there, it’s pricey but we knew that before going. The portions are quite small so you will need to have the starter, main and dessert to be full. Sadly this was the highlight of our stay.

The décor in the room was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable however there was a stain on our carpet, dust in the bathroom and the speaker in the bathroom did not work. This I find unacceptable for a 5* hotel.

The décor of the hotel is mixed, the lounge areas are the best part of the hotel so I would recommend visiting these and having a bite to eat, a cocktail but don’t stay in the hotel. I really disliked the dark hallways to the bedrooms as I found them almost seedy.

I would not recommend the G hotel. It’s seeking a 5* price tag for what I believe to be 3*. It’s not good value for money. I’ve stayed in better 4* hotels in Ireland and there are definitely much better 5* in Ireland.

4  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Just back from 3 nights in the G hotel and I loved it! Didnt expect to but I did.

The thing that stays with you most is the staff. It's been said here before but they are FANTASTIC. They look after you so well. They are friendly, courteous and so helpfulThey make the stay really special - TAKE NOTE G HOTEL MANAGEMENT!

Room was cosy - loved the light at the bottom of the bath that just illuminated the room enough for a middle of the night visit!

Loved the dark corrodors that made you feel Zen as you headed to and from your room.

Breakfast was delish - tried the Eggs Benedictine, the full irish and the pancakes - no complaints.

Location is a matter of personal opinion. I thought it a little out of Galway, but walkable. Dont be expecting Ashford Castle 5 star location because instead of a lakeland view, you could be looking at Woodies DIY!

Is it 5 star? I dont think so but its a blast. The three reception rooms off the main reception area are funkily decorated in different tones and shades.

I think its a hotel that everyone will have an opinion on because its not your run of the mill establishment. Have a look at it on their website before booking to see the decor. But you cant go wrong with staff and breakfasts....excellent

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2011

This was my first time staying at the gHotel in Galway and I have to say what an experience.
We booked in for 3 nights in May 2011 and on arrival Thnigs were looking good as the decor was certainly nothing I had seen before in hotel but it looked great.
We were shown to our room and I must say everything was perfect and going well so far.
The room was fantastic and just what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Free Wifi access in the room and as a frequent traveller this is something I always treasure.
Back to the hotel itself, we reserved dinner at the hotel and following full on 5 star service by the waiting staff the dinner was the best tasting food I have ever had in a hotel in Ireland. We've stayed in a number of 5 star hotels throughout Ireland and I must say the dinner at the gHotel is one of the best.
The following morning we had our fist breakfast and again the best breakfast in a hotel in Ireland we've had.
The hotel was so good we only left the hotel once in our 3 days...
We had lunch drinks and food served by I must say well trained excellent staff who it is clear from their manner and service to guest take pride in their 5 star service to you and I must say must be recommended as the hotel staff of the year.
In conclusion, this hotel is by far the best 5 star hotel in Ireland and we will certainly be returning.
If you want the best stay at the g...

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Stayed at the G hotel for my boyfriends birthday weekend. From the moment we arrived and checked in the service, staff and everything was just wonderful. The interior is stunning both in main areas of the hotel and in the bedrooms. The air conditioning didnt work in our room but the staff handled it brilliantly and the next day upgraded us to a fantastic room. The atmosphere is warm and friendly not pretentious. The restaurant and drinks in the bar are pricey but worth enjoying for the treat. Across the road is the Huntsmun pub serves good pints and pub food. A bit of a walk into town but i managed it in heels no problem! Cant wait to go back by far the best hotel in Galway.

1  Thank TracyJaneA