“Fab, stylish hotel for a perfect weekend break!”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Belfast
“Fab, stylish hotel for a perfect weekend break!”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Loved every minute of my trip to the G as unlike many other hotels, this really had something different. The interiors were fab, what can you expect from anyone other than Phillip Treacy.
The staff were extremely friendly, we were accommodated in a room early as had to get changed for the races which was great. The room was just gorgeous, very calm and relaxing and a great contrast to the rest of the hotel. A few tips, it is expensive, but if you are looking for a getaway, its the place to go. Get the valet parking, saves a lot of hassle and only 10 Euro for your stay. Do the Spa circuit, it really is great, I didn't want to leave and they only allow in 8 at a time so its very relaxing yet modern. Have dinner in Matz, the food is lovely and the atmosphere great and then book a table in one of the lounges for cocktails, its a MUST. I loved the pink lounge! The cocktails were gorgeous! From the moment we arrived we didn't want to leave the hotel as it really is a great experience. The different lounges are so relaxing to sit in. Breakfast was great also, the usual, except you could order from the a la carte which was great. The room was so stylish and spacious, I loved the fact that they had a little sofa or armchairs, although the bed was so comfortable too. It really is worth the trip and we had a fabulous time because Galway is such a charming place. Location is great too as not too far but not right in the centre which is good for this sort of hotel. The only negative point I have, was that because of the cinema and dinner offer, nearly all the lounge tables were taken up by people eating which really isn't suitable for a 5 star hotel and meant that we couldnt sit and have a drink. Just something to note but apart from that wonderful!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed here with two good friends. This hotel was the best place I've ever stayed.!!Room was soooo great, beds really comfy, shower really good! cupcakes when we arrived! amazing!!!

Staff very nice, very helpful!! Best I've seen! All the lounges were amazing, so relaxing!!

Went to the Spa, had a great visit! So Good

Over all, great hotel ,great staff and if you ask, you can get a good bargain for your room!!!

I'll definitely be going back!!

Room Tip: ask when booking. They are very accommodating.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Myself & my husband stayed in the G Hotel for 2 night after Christmas 2010. Having had a very quiet Christmas due to the extremely bad weather (snow, temperatures of -13 degrees), we were really looking forward to relaxing for a few days in the G Hotel as we'd heard very good reviews of it from friends of ours.

We were not disappointed, from check in to the rooms to the breakfast, everything was perfect. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the room was perfect.

Breakfast was fab, there's a great choice of hot and cold dishes and complimentary newspapers to sit over when breakfast is finished.

The different themed lounges just add to a perfect atmosphere! We'll definitely be back to the G Hotel

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Elegant, efficient, stylish and professional.
I had feared that this mecca of luxury would be a case of style over substance...however I was wrong.
The lobby is very impressive; lots of glass and subdued lighting and something you'd be more likely to see in Miami Beach than in Galway. Staff were well-informed, courteous - nothing seemed to be any trouble to them.
The rooms are super luxurious; great comfortable beds, huge wardrobes, comfy sofas and stylish fittings. The bathroom was top class with a great bath and fantastic shower.
I also had dinner; an exquisite affair...an inventive menu, extensive wine list and friendly, professional service.
Breakfast the next day was a relaxed affair.
Great value and a fantastic top-end experience in Galway; there's nothing else like it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Lough Atalia.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hotel is impressive, loved the decor.
For the price I was a little let down by restaurant, expected more. Food was nice but not mind blowing. Service was good but not what I would expect of a 5 star.
All in all really enjoyed our stay. The price is the only thing that would stop me going back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife and three month old baby decided to holiday in Ireland this year and the first stop was the g hotel for two nights. Our first impression was good as the staff were very welcoming and it certainly seemed to be a lovely place. Although one member did say 'I suppose this is your first stay in a five star hotel', I thought well that is quite the supposition to make and whilst I could have taken offence I chose not to as it may have just been a bad attempt at conversation. I have however plenty of 5* experience with which to compare. I had planned after our 3 hour drive that we would book in for the spa. The hotel also offered a baby sitting service which we thought we would use. As this was the first time having an unknown babysitter look after our first baby, we were a little nervous however the lady reassured that she looks after a lot of children at the hotel. After sitting in the very nice thermal spa for 20min however we got our first call that the sitter could not settle our baby. After some instruction she managed to get her back to sleep. Then just before we were due for our massage(facial for wife) we got the next call that the baby would not settle. Disappointed we had to cancel the spa and go back to take over. The thing is our baby is so easy to put down, and 2 days later in the Europe hotel in Killarney our 15 year old baby sitter had no such issues! This was the first problem; the second was minor and everyone makes mistakes, but after signing for our pre dinner drinks they were also charged on our dinner bill. Like I say a minor problem but when added to everything else, one wonders! Dinner was the next let down. Again the staff were excellent and very courteous. However I noticed another review complaining about the cleanliness about cutlery or flatware. Unfortunately I had to ask for my knife to be changed, which really ought to be a bit easier to clean than forks. My steak was cooked as requested - med/rare, however it was not really a taste sensation and was a little tough. Again not something to get too upset about but things do accumulate. We both ordered chocolate fondant for dessert and were informed it would take 15min to prepare. this was not a bother because we were glad of the break. after 15min they brought us a complimentary dessert as they had made a mess of the fondants and asked to wait another 15min. Not a problem. however of the second set of fondants, one was overcooked to a sponge. Mine was perfect and delicious, so I was unsure how one could be perfect and the other not. Anyway we complained and he said he would take it off the bill and he was disappointed as it was consdered their signature dish. Instead of removing it from our bill, (which was included in a dinner bed breakfast rate) he added the well made one onto the bill! so we were essentially charged twice for one dessert and dont foreget the predinner drinks, and the poor dessert was not removed from our bill. To be fair they removed the supplemetary charges from our bill in the end and were very apologetic.

So we look back on our visit to the 'g' as enjoyable enough but I do expect more for 5 star!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Miami
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We couldn't decide whether to stay here or the Hotel Meyrick, and I'm really glad we stayed here. Yes, the colors are crazy, but it's not the kind of nutty ambiance that tries to cover up the fact that it's a poor quality hotel. The furnishings are actually far more artistic (it's designed by famous milliner Philip Treacy) than gimmicky, if you are paying attention. The lunch, dinner and bar food at the hotel wasn't the best we had on the trip (although the breakfast was great), but the rooms were so comfortable. Someone recommended that I ask for a room "without a view," facing the back because it's much quieter. That was a great recommendation, and it wasn't as if we didn't have any view at all--it was a peaceful rocks/grass scene with lots of light. I could have stayed here for several more days.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple