“Cool Hotel but not so cool beer”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 27 April 2008

My wife and I recently stayed in the hotel on a Saturday night in April. We had received a gift of a one night stay including afternoon tea so we were taking advantage of it.
The staff were very friendly and plentiful and even showed us to our room.
The room was great, we had upgraded to a suite, which was fantastic. Unfortunately the view outside the window onto a retail park doesn't enhance the experience, particularly considering that there are so many scenic places in Galway that they could have located the hotel.
Afternoon tea was very tasty and the experience was enhanced by the sight of lots of beautiful young ladies swanning about in their finery.
My one major quibble with the hotel was the quality of the beer in one of the bars. I ordered two pints of Carlsberg for myself and my brother-in law as we were waiting on our better halves to put on their warpaint. The barman diappeared in the back and about 1 minute later he returned with two flat, warmish pints. At €5.50 a throw they are "probably" the worst value pints in the city.

Having said that thebreakfast was excellent and the staff were happy to tend to our requests for more toast etc. even after 11am.
All in all nice hotel, great staff, poor location and woeful draught beer.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank sharryado99
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed 14 April 2008

I picked this hotel because I wanted somewhere special and different to take my wife for the weekend. I stay in 5 star hotels while travelling with work but my wife would not normally have that opportunity. This hotel lives up to the somewhere different and special tag. The service was great from the moment we arrived on a very wet Friday evening we were met at our car by the doormen with umbrellas. After we checked in we were shown around the hotel and then to our room , our bags were already waiting for us , I’ve had this done in other hotels but there is normally a bell boy there with his hand out for a tip but not here.
You will get cheaper hotels that give a great service and probably as good a service but this place is special and defiantly has the wow factor. My wife hasn’t stopped taking about it since we got home. Oh and the cocktails are very good.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2008

I stayed in the G with my sister in law recently.We booked a one night package which included bed and breakfast and one evening meal.As it was mid week it was quite reasonably priced.On arrival we were greeted at the door by a friendly doorman who promptly whisked away our cases which was lovely.The check in was smooth and efficient.
Our room was on the first floor directly oppposite the entrance to the Spa.It was a bright spacious room,but the view over the car park was horrible.We were not at all impressed with the bathroom either.Very cramped.No space for cosmetics (only a small shelf) and the bath was really dark as there was no light in the ceiling above it.Our shower also sprayed water out the back,reducing the pressure.
Our time in the spa was extremely disappointing.We had both booked massages after using the famed "thermal suites".These consisted of an over-sized jacuzzi,sauna and steam room.The "tropical showers" didn't work.Most gyms have these facilities nowadays.It didn't feel like a spa in a 5 star hotel.The swans hanging from the roof were pretty cool though!
Both of us agreed that our massages were extremely lacklustre.I paid 100 for a "55 minute" massage which turned out to be a 35 minute massage and being left for a 20 minute nap!My sister in law paid a whopping €150 for her massage and it sounded very similar to my own.
Dinner was good.As it was included in the price we had a limited menu but were offered the full one if we paid the extra.Although nice,again,it just didn't feel like 5 star standard food.The service was friendly and efficient at all times.The after dinner cocktails in the beautifully designed lounge,were to die for,if pricey at €14-€15 a pop!
Breakfast was served to us in bed the following morning and this made up for all ills!Beautifully presented and plenty of everything.I'm always reluctant to order brekkie in bed in hotels as sometimes you get very little but this was huge and we only paid €8 extra for it!
Overall,service was great,the design of the hotel was amazing but I think the spa ruined it for us.That said,I would return.For the bedside lamps alone!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DublinNovia
Reviewed 2 April 2008

This is a hotel thats truly stylish and the in place to be in one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland.
The rooms are huge with trappings to go with it.
The ensuite was exceptionally large with a double shower and the biggest bath I ever " snoozed" in.
The colours of the lobby areas are black and sleek .
Mind you once you venture to the "Linda Evangelista " lounge you might need to wear your sunglasses.
The room is all sliver , but nothing prepares you for the adjoing room which is cerise pink!
What did I not like about the G...............well it was the location.
The G is in a retail park off a roundabout .
The property has truly five star notions however the adjoing stores would not be your local Harvey Nicholls so to speak.
The staff were also a little pretensious and snooty and seem to forget who their neighbours really are!!!!!!!!!!.
Transport this hotel elsewhere and they have a gem.........if you can avoid the outside temptations of bargain city and others you should enjoy the city of the tribes

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a two night stay.The staff were all first class ,attentive without overpowering us.
The decor is first class and gives you the feeling of something different,
Rooms are extremely quiet and comfortable.However lack of coffee /tea maker was not appreciated.To like to be able to have a cup at our own conveniece rather than the hassle of room service etc. is much more preferable.
The breakfast was extensive but some of the tables are small and make for a crowded meal .

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2008

Just returned from a one night stay at the G. Had been there shortly after it opened a few years back for an event and was keen to see how it had fared in the year and a half since. It certainly has retained its quirkyness and individual style. Didnt stay the last time round so was keen to see the rooms. Very very comfortable and all the fixtures and fittings were of very good quality. Bed was so so comfortable. Bathroom great, brilliant shower and plenty of space. We had spa treatments which were nice (i would go so far as to say it was the best i have ever had but it wasnt bad) and We had dinner in the restaurant also, which was lovely. Buffet style breakfast worked well for us. Room 201 overlooks the Zen Garden of the Spa so very quiet. Definately would recommend it to anyone who likes something different. Staff throughout were supremely helpful and very well trained.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Stayed there for one night recently before a wedding. Hotel does have the wow factor from the inside but the retail park which it shares a car park with is a bit industrial looking and the food was awful. On the evening of our arrival I ordered a burger without the blue cheese and of course it arrived with it. I sent it back requesting a new bun with regular cheddar and it arrived back with the same bun and cheese just scraped off and no cheddar. This shouldn't happen in a deli never mind a five star hotel. Breakfast was a buffet which meant the meats tended to be overdone and again I expect better from 5 star accomodation. The rooms were fine and the ambiance very nice but the food let it down for me.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple