“Great interior, outside lets it down.”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Stayed here with friends on girly weekend. 5 STAR hotel but initial impression disappointing. Just off a roundabout and has a furniture shop at the end of the building. All dark glass front and small drop off point outside front entrance. Interior out of this world. Luxurious and plush and trendy. Several lounge style areas each themed in different colours and reception staff welcoming without being over the top. The rooms are spacious, lavishly decorative and heavenly. Pity that ours looked out onto industrial estate. Toymaster, Eddie Rockets, cinema and hardware stores share car park at the back of the hotel. The restaurant however serves beautiful food and wine so all meals here are top notch. My only complaint is the location and exterior do not match the interior and your expectations of a five star hotel. The price is high but you can get a bargain in the shops next door!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed 30 June 2008

I went to stay at the G Hotel in Galway Ireland when I was over on a business trip to Ireland. Everything about the hotel was great, the room was lovely, the staff bent over backwards to assist with anything even to the point of showing me how the card operated lift worked!

Going to go back in July for a few days and hope to take in dinner at the RIVA as well.

Highly recommend also checking out their special offers as I got a great deal.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2008

The G are offering room rates of 200 euro for a standard room AND breakfast at the moment for two people, and in my opionion is just fantastic value!. I have spent one night at the G both in April and in June and it was overall an extremely luxurious, relaxing experience.

The excellent!
The front desk staff - Upon arrival we were greeted by probably the friendliest and most welcoming front desk staff that I have experienced in the hotel. They happily showed us to our room upon arrival, answered any questions we had and were great in helping with booking taxis, provding directions, maps etc.

The room - Upon entering our room which was a standard, we were blown away by our gorgeous it was. There is a massive king size bed with masses of pillows and soft white sheets, really really comfortable. The room was extremely large, beautifully decorated and had a minibar, flatscreen tv, dressing gowns, slippers etc. There were also complimentary iced buns and a bottle of sparkling water to greet us upon arrival which i thought was a nice touch.

The bathroom - The bathroom again was lovely, a gorgeous big bath, lovely marble decor and fab lighting. Lovely bathrobes and slippers to wander around in too!

The hotel lounges - I thought the hotel bars and lounges and the overall decor of the hotel itself was just gorgeous, fabulous flamboyant colours and lighting throughout it and the decor is truely something very unique and special. The cocktails in the hotel are absolutely gorgeous and must be tried, they are on the expensive side 12-20 euro - but hey you are treating your self so why not!

The thermal suites - I did not try any spa treatments but my partner and I did try the thermal suites. It's 30 euro per person for use of the thermal suites (warm plunge pool with different water treatments, suana , steam room etc) - I thought the thermal suite area was fantastic, the design was gorgeous, very dark with lighting in all the right places and just really relaxing. I do think however 30 euro per person is very steep for a hotel guest to be asked to pay for use of this area, i would think even to say 20 would be more then enough to ask for those staying in the hotel.

The negative
The breakfast - although having a complimentary breakfast included in your 200 rate for a 5 start hotel is unbeatable value, the standard of the actual breakfast was very poor. My partner and I had breakfast in our room - the juices were gone off or at least left out of the fridge or something, but definitely were off in taste. The fry was very poor, the scrambled egg was so bland and looked like a yellow blob on the plate, the mushrooms, rashers etc were just soaked in grease. I could barely eat a couple of mouthfulls.

Overall - I will most definitely return to the G as I have never had such a luxurious, relaxing and unique experience in a truly stunning hotel. I hope however the standard of the breakfast is improved because it is the only thing lacking in this fabulous and great value experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Wonderful hotel, fabulous staff, dined in the hotel restaurant. Food v high quality, good wine list.
Bedrooms were of a high quality and Staff were very helpful

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2008

Wow!! is the first and last impression!! Stands on its own as Irelands best designed hotel without question!! Has to be seen to be believed!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2008

Nice new hotel just don't eat there. The food is terrible. I had the seafood soup--frozen seafood that turned into mush, two mussel shells, no mussel meat, milk had curdled in it, and a ton of salt. Ireland has never been the gourmet capital of the world but this hotel's food is the worst. A so called 5 star hotel should have food you can eat.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank docterdocs8
Reviewed 27 April 2008

My wife and I recently stayed in the hotel on a Saturday night in April. We had received a gift of a one night stay including afternoon tea so we were taking advantage of it.
The staff were very friendly and plentiful and even showed us to our room.
The room was great, we had upgraded to a suite, which was fantastic. Unfortunately the view outside the window onto a retail park doesn't enhance the experience, particularly considering that there are so many scenic places in Galway that they could have located the hotel.
Afternoon tea was very tasty and the experience was enhanced by the sight of lots of beautiful young ladies swanning about in their finery.
My one major quibble with the hotel was the quality of the beer in one of the bars. I ordered two pints of Carlsberg for myself and my brother-in law as we were waiting on our better halves to put on their warpaint. The barman diappeared in the back and about 1 minute later he returned with two flat, warmish pints. At €5.50 a throw they are "probably" the worst value pints in the city.

Having said that thebreakfast was excellent and the staff were happy to tend to our requests for more toast etc. even after 11am.
All in all nice hotel, great staff, poor location and woeful draught beer.

Stayed: April 2008