“The most fabulous hotel I have ever stayed in”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“The most fabulous hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed 28 July 2008

There are so many things to love about this hotel that its hard to even start the list. What looks like an office building on the outside completely surprises on the inside. The service was absolutely amazing - a true 5 star experience (although unlike normal 5 stars hotels there is nothing stuffy and snobbish about this place - in a good you can relax way). From the minute the car was taken by the valet we were treated like royalty.

On check in they asked for both of our signatures (I can only assume so that we could both sign for drinks etc - had never seen this before but quite intelligent). We were brought around and up to our room. We had booked a luxury room and although we looked out onto the street it was so quiet that we could have been in the middle of the country. The room itself was just beautiful and had loads of quirky little bits of design just waiting to be found and adored - cupcakes, the softest slippers I have ever had in a hotel, etro toiletries and every other thing in the hotel. The bed was definitely the most comfortable I had ever slept in - "like sleeping on the back of little lambs and the duvet made by magical fairies" (his quote not mine).

The reception rooms downstairs are all beautiful and the cocktails - well I should really stop here before I gush too much. We missed dinner but breakfast was absolutely yummy. On leaving I can only say that if I won the lotto I would love to live out the rest of my days there!

I will definitely head back - next time hopefully to a suite. Spend the few extra Euro for a fabulous hotel in Galway and you wont be disappointed.

• Liked — Absolutely everything
  • Disliked — Nothing that could be faulted other than the fact that you need to get a taxi into town - although I couldnt see any reason you would want to go into town when this place is so great
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We were initially slightly disappointed with the location of the g as it is situated on an out-of-town retail park on one of the main roads into Galway, however this soon changed.

We were met at our car at the front entrance, which was then valet parked. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and offered to show us around the hotel before taking us to our room - we were upgraded from a superior room to a luxury suite! A great first impression.

The lounges, bar and restaurant are glamourous and stylish and staff are very attentive, without being intrusive. We had two very nice breakfasts and also ate good food from the bar menu one evening. On Saturday evening the hotel bar had a good buzz and there was also a live jazz band.

Our room was huge with a great double shower and bathtub, and the bed was really really comfortable. There were complimentary cakes and plenty of water on arrival.

Other highlights inluded a very helpful and approachable concierge and lovely cocktails.

We'd definitely recommend the g and look forward to going back.

• Liked — The service and decor
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in the g as a treat at the start of the year. I'm from Galway, so I knew the location itself wasn't spectacular but it's close enough to the city centre and taxis are always quick to pick you up from there.
All the staff are extremely helpful and polite and although it's a 5 star hotel you can feel comfortable heading to the lounges in converse if you like.
Rooms are fab and we had the best sleep ever in the gorgoeus comfy beds.
We were only meant to stay one night but when we came back to hotel after dinner and drinks in town, there was a letter offering us a special rate for the 2nd night, which we accepted!
Riva, the restaurant is really funky, cool coaches....a lil uncomfortable (which was the only thing I can pick at!) had really good food.
Can't wait to stay here again, it was the most relaxing weekend I've ever had in Galway!

• Liked — Service and Decor
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like, location is a bit odd, but it's still close to city centre
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
laois
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Stayed here with friends on girly weekend. 5 STAR hotel but initial impression disappointing. Just off a roundabout and has a furniture shop at the end of the building. All dark glass front and small drop off point outside front entrance. Interior out of this world. Luxurious and plush and trendy. Several lounge style areas each themed in different colours and reception staff welcoming without being over the top. The rooms are spacious, lavishly decorative and heavenly. Pity that ours looked out onto industrial estate. Toymaster, Eddie Rockets, cinema and hardware stores share car park at the back of the hotel. The restaurant however serves beautiful food and wine so all meals here are top notch. My only complaint is the location and exterior do not match the interior and your expectations of a five star hotel. The price is high but you can get a bargain in the shops next door!!

• Liked — Interior, interior, interior.
  • Disliked — Exterior, exterior, exterior.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I went to stay at the G Hotel in Galway Ireland when I was over on a business trip to Ireland. Everything about the hotel was great, the room was lovely, the staff bent over backwards to assist with anything even to the point of showing me how the card operated lift worked!

Going to go back in July for a few days and hope to take in dinner at the RIVA as well.

Highly recommend also checking out their special offers as I got a great deal.

• Liked — Service was brilliant
  • Disliked — Hmm, not sure, possibly getting to the city centre
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2008

The G are offering room rates of 200 euro for a standard room AND breakfast at the moment for two people, and in my opionion is just fantastic value!. I have spent one night at the G both in April and in June and it was overall an extremely luxurious, relaxing experience.

The excellent!
The front desk staff - Upon arrival we were greeted by probably the friendliest and most welcoming front desk staff that I have experienced in the hotel. They happily showed us to our room upon arrival, answered any questions we had and were great in helping with booking taxis, provding directions, maps etc.

The room - Upon entering our room which was a standard, we were blown away by our gorgeous it was. There is a massive king size bed with masses of pillows and soft white sheets, really really comfortable. The room was extremely large, beautifully decorated and had a minibar, flatscreen tv, dressing gowns, slippers etc. There were also complimentary iced buns and a bottle of sparkling water to greet us upon arrival which i thought was a nice touch.

The bathroom - The bathroom again was lovely, a gorgeous big bath, lovely marble decor and fab lighting. Lovely bathrobes and slippers to wander around in too!

The hotel lounges - I thought the hotel bars and lounges and the overall decor of the hotel itself was just gorgeous, fabulous flamboyant colours and lighting throughout it and the decor is truely something very unique and special. The cocktails in the hotel are absolutely gorgeous and must be tried, they are on the expensive side 12-20 euro - but hey you are treating your self so why not!

The thermal suites - I did not try any spa treatments but my partner and I did try the thermal suites. It's 30 euro per person for use of the thermal suites (warm plunge pool with different water treatments, suana , steam room etc) - I thought the thermal suite area was fantastic, the design was gorgeous, very dark with lighting in all the right places and just really relaxing. I do think however 30 euro per person is very steep for a hotel guest to be asked to pay for use of this area, i would think even to say 20 would be more then enough to ask for those staying in the hotel.

The negative
The breakfast - although having a complimentary breakfast included in your 200 rate for a 5 start hotel is unbeatable value, the standard of the actual breakfast was very poor. My partner and I had breakfast in our room - the juices were gone off or at least left out of the fridge or something, but definitely were off in taste. The fry was very poor, the scrambled egg was so bland and looked like a yellow blob on the plate, the mushrooms, rashers etc were just soaked in grease. I could barely eat a couple of mouthfulls.

Overall - I will most definitely return to the G as I have never had such a luxurious, relaxing and unique experience in a truly stunning hotel. I hope however the standard of the breakfast is improved because it is the only thing lacking in this fabulous and great value experience.

• Liked — the luxury, the decor, the beautiful rooms and relaxing vibe!
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Wonderful hotel, fabulous staff, dined in the hotel restaurant. Food v high quality, good wine list.
Bedrooms were of a high quality and Staff were very helpful

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple