“Amazing....a true 5 star experience!”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing....a true 5 star experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

This hotel will not dissappoint, from the valet parking the moment you arrive to the sumptuous rooms....this is a true 5 star hotel.

The rooms are breathtakingly beautiful, we stayed in a deluxe and I can honestly say it wasone of the best room I've stayed in. Everything was top notch, from the plasma tv to the perspex coffee table, seperate shower and bath to the deep fluffy slippers and robe.....I could not fault one thing.

The staff are one of the best aspects of this hotel. They are friendly and so very helpful without being overly so or snotty which is where alot of hotels fall down. Although most of them were foreign they had excellent english which is sadly becoming a bit of a rarity in hotels in Ireland. There is sort of a laid back charm with the guest's happiness being their no 1 priority and they were all delightful!

I think the hotel's success is based on the outstanding attention to detail, just a few of the things that impressed me were the friendly valet parking, the mini guided tour of the hotel when you arrive, the complimentary dvd supply, the gorgeous cupcakes that greet you in the room, the amazing amazing design of the lounges....and there are many more!

If you want the real 5 star experience just stay here, you'll love it!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — the non smoking policy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank withtoastontheside

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
cork,ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday and what a surprise. From the time we booked in to the time that we left, it was an absolute pleasure! We were shown to our room by a very efficient and pleasant young man and I was floored when I saw the room. Absolute luxury! the bed was huge and the most comfortable one I ever slept in!

The dimly lit corridors complete with the unusual decor were certainly a talking point! The lounges on the ground floor are fabulous and as for breakfast the next morning...lovely and relaxing. The choices were quite impressive.

The staff were a pleasure to deal with.

I can't recommend this hotel enough and will definitely be returning again soon!!

• Liked — comfort and decor
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msrae999
Hove1234
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

Having travelled the world extensively perhaps I am not comparing like with like but The G hotel is not a "destination" Hotel by any means.

Stayed during the Galway races and it was pretty dead. Was amused by the constant "reserved table" signs on the best seats in the lounge and cocktail bar - just in case Ronan Keeting happened to pass by. There were so few listening to the Jazz band that he could have had the room to himself. Not the way to manage any venue never mind an expensive hotel.

The small Spa is average, too dark to see where you are going and even if its clean (the steam room was not). I was disappointed to learn that if one wanted a quick sauna to unwind you had to pay 30 euros per person! The treatments are massively over priced given the average skills and setting.

Goods Beds (shell fish pillow looked like it had seen a few honeymooners)
Good bedroom

The overall feel is definitely one of out dated "style" over substance and numerous staff are pleasant but disorganised. Given the heavy price tag, we were expecting a more polished, effortless and enjoyable stay.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The value vs. the experience
2 Thank Hove1234
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

Location. Good. 1 mile from the city centre. That’s pretty close. Good cinema next door.
Service - 2nd to none. Very friendly. Nothing a problem.
Design: The hotel is an absolute work of art. You have to sit in that white room and look up to appreciate the surroundings.

Price. Haggle – theres a recession on. Sometimes the phone gets you the best price, Sometimes its third party websites.
Kids. Yes take them. Even though there are few family rooms. I booked a superior (standard) and upgraded to a deluxe plus two temporary beds for an extra 70 per night. The temporary beds were as luxurious as the main beds. Result: 2 adults and 2 children stayed here and paid less than the vastly inferior Radission.

Freebies. Cakes with the children’s names painted in chocolate left in the room along with 2 fruit smoothies. Free newspapers. Free bottled water each night in the room. Coffee comes with brownies.
Rooms: superior is very nice. The deluxe is huge and almost like a suite with a hall between the bathroom and the bedroom. The air con works just fine.
Flowers. I have to mention them - they are numerous, unique and different than any you see else where. Who ever picks them has great taste.

The spa. - Visit - it is fantastic - not like any other.

Breakfast. Great. self service for some things. table service for kippers, omelettes, etc. Quick service.

Free valet parking every time.
Wifi - free and works well.

Good sleep. The best. The most comfortable 6ft wide bed. You hear no sound from the corridor or the rooms next door.
Bar scene: - none. Just big arm chairs I'm afraid. A buzzing bar would be nice.
Drink prices. Fine for this class of hotel.

This hotel is classy and is light years away from all others in Galway. Stay there.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank sfag
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

There are so many things to love about this hotel that its hard to even start the list. What looks like an office building on the outside completely surprises on the inside. The service was absolutely amazing - a true 5 star experience (although unlike normal 5 stars hotels there is nothing stuffy and snobbish about this place - in a good you can relax way). From the minute the car was taken by the valet we were treated like royalty.

On check in they asked for both of our signatures (I can only assume so that we could both sign for drinks etc - had never seen this before but quite intelligent). We were brought around and up to our room. We had booked a luxury room and although we looked out onto the street it was so quiet that we could have been in the middle of the country. The room itself was just beautiful and had loads of quirky little bits of design just waiting to be found and adored - cupcakes, the softest slippers I have ever had in a hotel, etro toiletries and every other thing in the hotel. The bed was definitely the most comfortable I had ever slept in - "like sleeping on the back of little lambs and the duvet made by magical fairies" (his quote not mine).

The reception rooms downstairs are all beautiful and the cocktails - well I should really stop here before I gush too much. We missed dinner but breakfast was absolutely yummy. On leaving I can only say that if I won the lotto I would love to live out the rest of my days there!

I will definitely head back - next time hopefully to a suite. Spend the few extra Euro for a fabulous hotel in Galway and you wont be disappointed.

• Liked — Absolutely everything
  • Disliked — Nothing that could be faulted other than the fact that you need to get a taxi into town - although I couldnt see any reason you would want to go into town when this place is so great
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

We were initially slightly disappointed with the location of the g as it is situated on an out-of-town retail park on one of the main roads into Galway, however this soon changed.

We were met at our car at the front entrance, which was then valet parked. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and offered to show us around the hotel before taking us to our room - we were upgraded from a superior room to a luxury suite! A great first impression.

The lounges, bar and restaurant are glamourous and stylish and staff are very attentive, without being intrusive. We had two very nice breakfasts and also ate good food from the bar menu one evening. On Saturday evening the hotel bar had a good buzz and there was also a live jazz band.

Our room was huge with a great double shower and bathtub, and the bed was really really comfortable. There were complimentary cakes and plenty of water on arrival.

Other highlights inluded a very helpful and approachable concierge and lovely cocktails.

We'd definitely recommend the g and look forward to going back.

• Liked — The service and decor
  • Disliked — The location
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in the g as a treat at the start of the year. I'm from Galway, so I knew the location itself wasn't spectacular but it's close enough to the city centre and taxis are always quick to pick you up from there.
All the staff are extremely helpful and polite and although it's a 5 star hotel you can feel comfortable heading to the lounges in converse if you like.
Rooms are fab and we had the best sleep ever in the gorgoeus comfy beds.
We were only meant to stay one night but when we came back to hotel after dinner and drinks in town, there was a letter offering us a special rate for the 2nd night, which we accepted!
Riva, the restaurant is really funky, cool coaches....a lil uncomfortable (which was the only thing I can pick at!) had really good food.
Can't wait to stay here again, it was the most relaxing weekend I've ever had in Galway!

• Liked — Service and Decor
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like, location is a bit odd, but it's still close to city centre
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple