“Better than 3 stars, not quite 4”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Austin, Texas
“Better than 3 stars, not quite 4”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The G Hotel, Galway.. If you're touring Ireland's gorgeous west coast, you will definitely be spending time in Galway! We had done some research, and The G got pretty good reviews, so we gave it a try. We had never been to Galway, and had to stop and ask directions a couple of times to find the hotel..

The G was our first stop, after a long trip from Austin, Texas to Shannon airport.. we were tired, and went to bed after eating.. I woke from a deep sleep, to find a man standing in our room.. Seems that the door's safety lock wasn't working, and thankfully, this was a hotel employee, coming in for "turn down service".. However, this was a very freaky experience to me.. especially since the halls are long and dark here, and we did not feel safe. The next day, while we were out sightseeing, the manager wrote a note, saying that they had been in the room, working on the lock, and I appreciated the fact that they wasted no time getting it fixed, and that he would take the time to handwrite a personal note.

The bed was very comfortable, the room very nice. The only negative thing I can say is, that the light system is kinda strange.. The lights to the area where the coffee/tea maker is, control the lights over the bedroom, (so, if I got up early to make tea, the whole room would light up, waking my wife).. And, the lights to the bathroom are outside the bathroom door, (so if I got up at night to use the bathroom, turning on lights would wake up my wife). Not sure why Irish hotels do this, but it's a very common thing.

The first night we got the fish and chips, room service. It was one of the best fish and chips we've had in Ireland, and the desserts we ordered were amazing, too. The next morning, we ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and it was exceptionally good, too. The following morning, the food was not as good (my wife's eggs benedict were way overcooked), service not as good, (waitress didn't bring part of my order, and part of my wife's order).

Overall, every staff member we encountered was very friendly, professional, and helpful. We especially appreciated traveling advice from the front desk staff. On the way out, the young man who loaded our luggage into the rental car, gave very good directions to where we were heading, and talked of someone in his family, who lived in Chicago.. We enjoyed his comments and advice, and it left us with a very good feeling about The G Hotel.

I wish that there was a 3.5, or better yet, a 3.95 rating available, because that's where I would rate The G Hotel. It's better than a 3, probably not quite a 4. I've stayed at The Merrion, Dublin, that's a real 5 star hotel. Every hotel I rate, is rated against the 5 star Merrion Hotel.

That being said, would I recommend The G to family and friends? Yes, I would.. Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raydioman61
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the g. Please accept our sincere apologies that you were disturbed by a member of our team. Unfortunately mistakes do happen but it was reassuring to read that our team rectified the problem.
It was lovely to read how impressed you were with our food quality and menu offerings on the first day of your trip. We will be following up on your feedback for the second day with our Food & Beverage Manager, David, for him to look into.
Thank you for recommending us to family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back to us again soon so that we can assure you we are worthy of our five star credentials.
The g Hotel Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a fab stay at the G hotel last weekend & it is one of the best hotels ive stayed in! beautiful design & friendly staff with excellent service! the food was fab, cant wait to go back! the tv wasn't working in our room & they sent someone up to fix within 5 minutes. Loved the cupcakes in our room. We had a deluxe room which was really spacious. The hotel is just a short walk from centre of Galway with lots of traditional Irish pubs with lots of atmosphere. Overall a perfect couples break for a really relaxing stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We were so pleased to read that you had a fantastic stay and that the g is one of the best hotels that you have ever stayed in. Our team were delighted to be mentioned in your review and everyone was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our menu offerings, location, bedrooms and the level of service provided throughout the hotel. Our welcome cupcakes receive constant praise and it was great to read that you enjoyed them. Please accept our apologies that you television was not working upon arrival.
We really do appreciate your kind words and we hope to welcome you back to us again soon.
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I honestly can beleive how this hotel has one bad review not to mention severial I can tell you now there is just no pleasing some people because this Hotel along with the Twelve Hotel is the nicest I have ever stayed. From the minute we checked in I could tell it deserved each and everyone of its five stars. Reception were very helpful and and staff were extremely friendy. Do not beleive these rooms are dirty because staff work very hard and the rooms were impecible. Really enjoyed our stay here the only thing I didnt like was when we went to reception for few drinks they would not accept money after 12am and wanted to put a tab on our room. I later descover they accepted lazer cards so I paid with my card when we went to check out they tryed to charge us again but luckly I keeped my receipts and it was resolved. But I really enjoyed my stay and I would definatly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roisinoh
Dear Guest,
Thank you so very much for your fantastic review. We were so honoured to read that you found the g to be one of the nicest places you have ever stayed in. Our team were delighted to be mentioned in your review and everyone was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your bedroom. Please accept our apologies for the double posting of drinks. We will look into this immediately. We really do appreciate your fantastic review and we hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the g again soon.
Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here recently while my wife was on a work assignment in Galway. Check-in was unorganized and slow. Be warned, there is no ramp at the front entrance for rolling in bags.
A flight of stairs to the front entrance and a lift for the handicapped. The decor here is very pink and incredibly odd. The hallways are practically dark. But our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was modern and well stocked with both a free standing shower stall and separate bathtub. Our AC was not working properly when we first arrived, but the staff fixed that very quickly. A complimentary breakfast "in a bag" is offered at the front door every morning and a full breakfast is also available in the dining room for an extra charge. It is about a 20 minute walk to downtown Galway from the hotel, but a quick cab ride to anywhere in the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Please accept our apologies that you found the check in process to be slow. Our hotel was designed by Philip Treacy. We are a standalone hotel in that we are completely different and unique. However we appreciate that your comments about the decor of the hotel are based on personal preference. Please accept our apologies that the in room temperature control unit was not functioning correctly on arrival.
It was rewarding though to read that you enjoyed the bedroom you were allocated as well as the location of the hotel. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are visiting Galway.
Washington DC
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure how this place can be so highly rated. Here is how our experience went. We arrived at the hotel. No one greeted us outside so we brought our own bags in. We were suppose to have a king room and one with two twins. We had confirmed reservations but the lady at the desk kept telling us it was an extra $40 euro to get two beds. Long story short we did get the room with two beds but it had not been cleaned and we had to ask for the hotel to clean it.

The decor is this place is HORRIBLE! We could hardly find our room because the halls are so dark. I have been in hotels in 27 countries and never been in halls so dark.

OK so once we were in the rooms the beds were not good.

We spent 11 days in Ireland (a fabulous country ) in 5 different establishments and this was the worst.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BigBUCKETList
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We were all greatly upset to read the review you posted on Trip Advisor. Let us begin by stating that two Superior King bedrooms had been booked for you by your travel agent. In order to have upgraded to a Deluxe Twin bedroom a nightly supplement of €40 would apply. However as a gesture, the front desk team kindly upgraded one of the bedrooms, without charge, to a Deluxe Twin bedroom even though that is not what you booked. The luggage was delivered to your bedroom by our Concierge team. All of our bedrooms are cleaned and then inspected by a Supervisor. After you called to address your concerns our team went directly to the bedroom but could not see any evidence of the bedroom not been cleaned properly.

Our Philip Treacy designed hotel is bright, unique and colourful. Our beds receive constant praise and we regularly receive calls from our guests asking for our supplier’s details so your review is at odds with many other reviews published on this website.

We had hoped that we were able to address your concerns on arrival by upgrading you to a higher room category that was more appropriate to your needs.

dublin
Reviewed 14 July 2014

On arrival nobody to assist four ladies with their luggage. Waiting at reception we turned to look out a filthy window. We had coffee on a broken deck with over hanging broken branches.The garden needed weeding and again dirty windows. Expensive and definitely not up to standard.Reception desk was also badly damaged and visibly painted over.We were locked out of our rooms before 12 on day of departure. This is not hospitality and felt more like a dark dungeon especially in ground floor ladies toilet. We will never go back. Lisa

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank fidelmamama6
Dear Guest,

Let us begin by explaining that there are three separate entrances to the hotel. Our Concierge team are based within the hotel and they will gladly go and collect luggage for any of our arrival and departure guests. We also ensure to offer this service to all of our guests during the check in and check out process.

The Hotel has recently been awarded a gold award for our levels of cleanliness in our guest bedrooms and public areas of the hotel. It was upsetting for us to read that you felt otherwise. In relation to the keys timing out in your bedroom. This is for the security of our guests so that no other guest can gain access to your bedroom. The keys are programmed to time out at 12 noon, which is departure time.

The unique design and decor of the g receive constant praise so it was disappointing to read that you did not enjoy this aspect of the hotel. We hope that we have addressed your concerns and that you will give the g another chance in the future.

China
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I checked back in to The G (my third stay at this hotel), after checking out of Park House Hotel; if service is how you define a hotel, then Park House is one of the world's best hotels and The G, one of the worst! I emailed the hotel at around 10am to ask if my suite was ready, the reply from Isabella, an assistant reservations manager was "Yes your suite is ready for arrival." When I arrived half an hour later I was told by reception that "check in was 2pm", when I showed her the email from her colleague she rather grumpily assigned me room 280, the same room from my previous stay. The room is showing signs of wear and tear; wires visible from beneath the wall mounted television, scuffs on the carpet and enamel missing on the bath give the room a 'lived in' feel; however air conditioning that was set to 17 degrees also gave the room an artic feel! A request to have the air conditioning turned off as the control panel was not working, managed to result in a sequence of room changes that was akin to Basil Fawlty; returning to the room after dinner, it was now stuffy and hot; as the air conditioning could not be turned back on I was assigned another suite, 274, which bizarrely has no wi-fi connection; a call back to reception had me moved to another room and then finally to suite 282, right next to my original room; given this occurred past midnight, I was less than impressed and even less impressed when told the following day that they knew there was no wi-fi in suite 274! Breakfast was however no recompense for the ordeal; I recalled from previous visits that breakfast here was never outstanding; yet on this morning it reached new levels of appalling; burnt toast and completely overcooked eggs left me just smirking as I fled and walked into Galway for breakfast at the first cafe I came too; is it really that hard to serve toast not burnt or an egg with its yoke intact? The G is Galway’s trendy hotel and it certainly has some attractive points; the suites are expansive and the beds supremely comfortable; but where the Park House is let down by a dated décor, The G is undermined by indifferent service and a generally cannot be bothered attitude.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi access is woeful! Suite 280 and those facing the water have nice views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MDAP
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the g. Naturally we were disappointed to read certain elements of your review. Let us begin by stating that check in or arrival time is 3pm here in the g and check out is at 12 noon but we do our utmost to facilitate requests for early check-in whenever available. Please accept our apologies for the issues that arose with our in room temperature control panel. In relation to having to move room twice, this is unacceptable and we offer our sincere apologies. The hotel was not aware of the wifi issue until you reported this. In relation to your comments about the breakfast we offer our apologies that this did not live up to your expectations. We acknowledge that certain aspects of your stay should have been to a higher standard.

However when you reported the above issues to our Manager on Duty, he did offer you a room move to a higher standard of room, he refunded you for breakfast and organised a late departure time from the hotel. We also sent a cheese and port plate amenity to your bedroom to apologise for these issues. We had hoped that we had rectified and made up for them during your stay.

Thank you for your feedback.