“A delightful stay!!”

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
“A delightful stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel with my partner and our 2 children. The hotel lobby is really welcoming but I cant say the same for the lady that attended to us at reception.She was very rude and it seemed she was in a rush to go somewhere. After we left our bags in the room, we decided to go down to the bar to get something to eat. It was quite busy but the young girl I think her name was Grainne, a small black hair girl came to us quickly wit menus. She was very welcoming,had a lovely smile on her face and found the time to talk to us about things to do in Galway even though the poor thing was on her own on the floor and had a lot of people to serve. Our food was taking a while to come as she already explained to us before we ordered which was ok but our children was getting a bit agitated . She came back with paper and colouring pencils and even a couple of small toys to keep our children entertained for a while longer. I thought this was very sweet of her. She really did provide an amazing service that was way beyond our expecations. During our stay here most of the staff were really nice but the breakfast staff and reception staff do need to brush up on their people skills as we did find them to be quite rude.Overall we would come back as the hotel is an excellent place for families as it has a huge leisure centre and is just across the road from the beach and 10 mins to Salthilll village.

1 Thank Lara C
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Lara C,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

We pride ourselves on offering superb customer service, therefore it does not surprise me that Grainne stood out with her friendliness and attention to detail.

I am dissappointed with your comments regarding our reception and breakfast staff and I apologise that we fell short on our customer care at the front line.

I am working through the issues you experienced and I I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner dined in the salthill hotel recently to say we were disappointed as soon as the food hit our table is an understatement,lasagne was served with tough tasteless garlic bread.The lasagne itself was served in a shallow bowl that wouldn't fit a handful of chips. The lasagne had no meat and undercooked (under microwaved more likely) seriously how hard is it to cook and prepare a tasty lasagne. Also ordered extra side of hand cut chips @ €3.50 they were from a frozen bag and again no more than a handful,staff were friendly but seemed to lack any organisation.Another guest who was having drinks ordered on a stool beside us and his cutulry was placed on the side of our table couldn't believe my eyes.I have eaten here before and was also disappointed.For such a nice looking bar it falls way short in many areas.I will certainly not be back again. Avoid avoid avoid!

• Stayed November 2013
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Adventure 828,

I am disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of food and service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations.

I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently and I can assure you that we are using your feedback to refocus our attention on our menus.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused. I note you will return to the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back personally in the near future.

Best Regards
Teddington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My friend in Dublin booked the hotel in advance for a bargain 110 euros for two nights. At this price there is little to complain about. The public areas are good including the Prom bar which is very comfortable. The seafood chowder which the menu states is 'served in a sourdough bread bowl' came in a bowl with bread on the side. When questioned the waiter said it kept leaking from the bread bowl.....The buffet breakfast is of reasonable standard though coffee is poor and toast management needs attention. It was however a bank holiday weekend and the hotel appeared to be at capacity.
Rooms are of expected standard. The milk was not replenished however. The water is not great for tea, but using your own bottled is no hardship for the seasoned traveller.
For a comfortable break in Galway The Salthill ticks all the boxes, it is good, not great hotel but I would go back.

Room Tip: Book in advance for great value.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here with me friend and son over the midterm break for one night. We were visiting friends in Galway. First impressions were excellent-room at front of hotel overlooking grounds and sea view. Huge room with television with a welcome message for me on it! Bed was King size, you could have fit 4 of us in it! bathroom also huge with a bath and a shower! We were so happy with our room. The hotels staff are so friendly, especially at breakfast, chatting away to my son and constantly asking if we needed anything else. Swimming pools (baby pool, lane swimming and also kids pool) were amazing, with jacuzzi and sauna! balls were provided for kids to play with! We didn't use gym but it looked very well equipped! The hotel is in a great location, a short distance to the town and cafes and restaurants. We drank in the bar on the night we stayed and drinks were usual Irish prices. Overall I cant say anything bad about the hotel and would definitely return, maybe in summertime when we can use the beach!

Room Tip: at the front of the hotel for the view!
1 Thank aliryan2013
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding reception here at the end of October , what a fantastic venue , Pauline and fiona ensured that everything we requested was seen to and done to the highest standard. The food was fantastic ! All the guests were complimenting the hotel and staff on how lovely it was and how good there stay was also!!! Our number of guests were quiet high 300+ and there was no delay in the food been served or no shortage on seconds!! I cannot recommend this hotel enough !!

Nuala & Noel Sweeney

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed at the Salthill hotel with my husband and two teenage daughters. We had a great time. Hotel is very comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful. rooms were very comfortable. bar was very relaxing. Swimming pool and gym were both very good and well equipped. Only disappointment was the taste off the water. I decided to have a cup of tea in the bedroom and there was a dreadful taste from the water. the location of the hotel is perfect. Its very central and a lovely walk into the city centre. The breakfast was o.k. a little over cooked and not very hot. On the second morning I ordered poached eggs and they were lovely. Kids loved the buffet breakfast. This was our 4th stay at this hotel and we will be back for next mid term break.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Salthill is called that for a very good reason, the water is very very soft which makes it taste salty. This would be tolerable IF the hotel provided free bottles water. But it doesn't and there is no bar fridge.
The rooms at the front of the hotel are more updated with power points etc then the ones on the side.
The bath has one of those metal plugs permanently fitted. The bath was filling whilst having a shower. I removed the plug to find a huge hair plug, god knows when that was cleaned last, revolting!
The staff are friendly and do their best to help where they can. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Hotel needs a refurb.
Breakfast is disappointing and the bfast restaurant is very loud, it feels like every sound is amplified. Chairs saggy and has a cafeteria type feel to it.
This hotel has potential to be decent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple