“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Athlone,
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Beautiful hotel, fab large air conditioned bedroom with very modern bathroom and a great breakfast! We stayed here yesterday for one night and could not fault the place, we got a massive room on the 3rd floor with a sea view and breakfast this morning was very tasty. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moneypenny085

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on 3 seperate occasions, it's always clean and breakfast buffet is amazing, the staff at reception could be a little friendlier but not rude at all!! My sister went to see the wedding coordinator and found her very off putting and not friendly at all!! But overall I love this hotel...

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank 575bitten575
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was traveling with 6 people so the room was nice but odd. We got two triple rooms--kind of confusing. It was one room with three separate rooms within it. So, you walked in and there was a bathroom with a queen bed, then you go right and another room with two twin beds and then another room with a twin bed. All the doors closed for privacy but had to go through someone's bedroom rooms to get to the bathroom. One room could have easily slept 5… Other than that--super comfy beds, clean. Right across from the beach which is stunning. Our room had no view. No restaurants within walking distance. We ate at the hotel. Odd layout. I loved being across the street from the beach. Staff was kind of snooty and rude. Not very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel has a good location in Galway but still it is not worth the money one pays to stay here.

The rooms need to be upgraded to be worth paying 120 pounds a nite. The sea view rooms are large but they look very ordinary in terms of design and utility ....a 2 star Hotel in Dubai would score better on this attribute.

When you ask for a king bed they join two sgl beds and give you as a double bed & can you imagine this Hotel room does not have a In room safe ??????

The front desk staff are not trained to be customer centric and they don't seem to care a damn about service.

The hotel forever looks busy & seems always short of staff be it the Bar,restaurant ,rooms service. The housekeeping was the only place which seemed to be doing a good job.

The food is tasty but never comes hot and on time be it in the Bar or room.

I think this is a badly managed hotel where the owner needs to realise that Salthill is on the down hill unless he does something about it otherwise this Hotel will be closed in few years !!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Galway Bay
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Satish N,

Thank you for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

Needless to say I am disappointed to read your comments about your stay. We have undergone an extensive renovation programme over the past number of years and we are due to complete the work by December 2014 and to this end you will see a vast improvement in the design and decor of our rooms.

Concerning your issues regarding the general operations of the hotel, I can assure you I have addressed your concerns regarding the level of service and committment from our staff.

I hope that you will afford us the opportunity to stay at the Salthill Hotel in the near future where I am sure your experience will be more favourable.

Fiona K
Co.Donegal
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Enjoyed this hotel as the leisure centre is fabulous ,rooms are a good size and lovely view of Salthill from window,the only fault i had was with the water in the room which i made tea from not good tasted of salt so bought a large bottle of water to use.Breakfast is very good buffet style with good selection of cheese and mini pastries and fresh homemade brown bread and the tea here was fine,

Room Tip: Bring your own water for drinking and making tea or coffee and get a front room facing the Promande...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline M
Dear Caroline M,

Many thanks for the positive review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Unfortunately we did have a slight issue with salty water, however we have addressed the problem and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

My husband, our 9 month and i stayed at the salthill hotel in October and i have to say it was a holiday to remember! Firstly the location was great. The staff were lovely, the food was fabulous and even though the rooms were a little too warm they were lovely too. The leisure centre was really lovely too! If you have a small child the hotel is very child friendly and the staff couldnt be more helpful! I know that this review seems too good to be true but honestly i couldnt fault the hotel. This hotel is well worth a visit!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Murph 91010,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us. Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging, they speak for themselves really. Thank you again and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel with my partner and our 2 children. The hotel lobby is really welcoming but I cant say the same for the lady that attended to us at reception.She was very rude and it seemed she was in a rush to go somewhere. After we left our bags in the room, we decided to go down to the bar to get something to eat. It was quite busy but the young girl I think her name was Grainne, a small black hair girl came to us quickly wit menus. She was very welcoming,had a lovely smile on her face and found the time to talk to us about things to do in Galway even though the poor thing was on her own on the floor and had a lot of people to serve. Our food was taking a while to come as she already explained to us before we ordered which was ok but our children was getting a bit agitated . She came back with paper and colouring pencils and even a couple of small toys to keep our children entertained for a while longer. I thought this was very sweet of her. She really did provide an amazing service that was way beyond our expecations. During our stay here most of the staff were really nice but the breakfast staff and reception staff do need to brush up on their people skills as we did find them to be quite rude.Overall we would come back as the hotel is an excellent place for families as it has a huge leisure centre and is just across the road from the beach and 10 mins to Salthilll village.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lara C
Dear Lara C,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

We pride ourselves on offering superb customer service, therefore it does not surprise me that Grainne stood out with her friendliness and attention to detail.

I am dissappointed with your comments regarding our reception and breakfast staff and I apologise that we fell short on our customer care at the front line.

I am working through the issues you experienced and I I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.