“Nice Hotel”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel with my Girlfriend for a weekend away. Great facilities, the pool was great lots of room. Food was very nice would fill you if you were hungry. Staff were friendly and helpful.. Great choice of places to eat in the hotel. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reeper45
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Reeper45,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Salthill hotel Galway.

I am delighted that you had an unforgettable stay with us and that our staff was very accommodating to your needs.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Salthill Hotel

Reviewed 5 February 2014

The rooms are not heated at night (in winter) and such information is not provided to the guests. When we arrived, that was late evening, we were promised to have heating in 10, 25 minutes, then one hour... We were waiting and waiting as my wife was ill and couldn't sleep in a cold room. After midnight we were finally informed that it is off till the morning. By this point it was too late to change the hotel. We were consequently moved to a smaller room at the same price and still no heating. After a 5 hour drive from Antrim this was not required and was the worst experience we faced on a 2 week vacation. Rooms were nice and clean though, breakfast is good too. The disappointment was the staff attitude to the guests and facilities in winter no available.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon P
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Simon P,

I am disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations.

I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive) and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

Given your experience I understand and recognise that your perception of us have been marred and I would appreciate the opportunity, if you would be amenable, to restore your faith in us. I would therefore be grateful if you would get in touch with me on fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com so I can not only apologise to you in person but also discuss the possibility of a return visit to the Salthill hotel. I know we can and will meet and exceed your future expectations and just hope you give us the opportunity to do so.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night break at the Salthill Hotel in Galway. This hotel is brilliant. Our bedroom was massive, and was spotless. We asked for a seaview room and the views were spectacular, especially when it was stormy.The décor was lovely. The breakfast was 1st class, plenty of cold and hot food and great variety of fresh fruit. Plates were hot and food was of very good quality. The leisure facilities were first class and very clean. The staff were all lovely , friendly and helpful.I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: romm 226, large and bright suite, with fantastic sea views.
1  Thank 49betty
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear 49Betty,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review following your recent visit to The Salthill hotel.

We are delighted that we managed to impress you so much and thank you for your comments on our service and our staff.

The Team here at Salthill endeavour to provide each of our guests with a wonderful stay and I am really delighted that you had such a good time. The will be thrilled to read your review and thank you for all your kind words.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Myself and Keith had our wedding reception here in july 2013. It was the best day of our lives and we have the salthill hotel to thank. We could not have asked for any better. From start to finish pauline you looked after us and our guests so well. People are still talking about the food as it was so amazing. All the staff was so amazing thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts. The hotel is just amazing. Everyone had a great day and day after. Thank you so much for everything looking forward to celebrating out first year anniversary with ye again in July.
Michelle and Keith Mcbrearty

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle M,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us. Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging, they speak for themselves really.

We know how important these moments are for our guests and will always do our very best to make these occasions and celebrations as memorable and special as possible.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you in July for your first wedding anniversary.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Everything was as would be expected from a hotel of this quality, with the staff being particularly friendly and attentive. We had a seaview room, so the view was stunning, particularly during the hurricane that hit while we were there! The leisure facilities were also top class and the food was excellent, both in the Prom Restaurant and in the bar. We will certainly return.

Not a complaint but there were a number of families with young naturally active children at the hotel and there could have been better management of this later in the evening in both the bar and restaurant. I am also a parent and recognise that kids must have their fun but there also needs to be some shriek-free space for adults later on!

Room Tip: Seaview is a must in order to get full benefit from your stay
1  Thank Dermot55
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Dermot 55,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Salthill Hotel.

I am delighted that you had an unforgettable stay with us and that our food and service was excellent.

At The Salthill hotel we pride ourselves on customer care and service of the highest standard and your experience is what we aim to deliver to all our guests.

I take note regarding the comment about the children and we will do our best to control these situations in the future.

We hope that you visit us again soon and thank you for your review

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night, dinner, B&B break at this hotel. We were greeted very warmly on arrival and the check-in by Aine was professional and warm at the same time. We stayed in room 411 and it really was spectacular - beautifully prepared, spotless and really cozy - fluffy towels, lots of toiletries and coffee and with the most wonderful view of Galway Bay imaginable.
Lunch in the bar was a real treat - toasted sandwiches, chips and two pints all for €21 ...and served by welcoming, smiling staff who had time for everyone and were a mine of information re what to see in the area, history of the area etc.
Dinner was included in our package and really was "top notch" - 3 courses + tea/coffee, beautifully prepared and presented and was easily high-class restaurant standard...Jamie really looked after us each night and it was a pleasure to have a waiter who was professional and friendly at the same time.Breakfast was equally friendly/ efficient and the selection was hot/ tasty and plentiful.
Reception staff were available at all times to answer questions etc and we never passed the desk with being greeted by a cheery "How are you"? Much appreciated by both of us.
The leisure/ spa is really spectacular and very welcoming also.
Our thanks to the wonderful "crew" - we will be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Just ask at check-in if there is a good room available.
1  Thank Carol L
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Carolmac58,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the Salthill hotel on Trip Advisor following your stay with us, it was a pleasure to read.

We are delighted that we managed to impress you so much and thank you for your comments on how clean our rooms are and that our food and service in all outlets were of a high class standard.

I shall also pass your lovely comments to both Aine and Jamie, they will be so pleased.

Thank you again and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We arrived for light lunch last Monday January 20th at 2.15pm. The bar was quiet with around 8 tables occupied. There was 2 trays from the bar on one of the seats we went to sit down on. We waited over 15 minutes for our order to be taken, even after asking one of the staff to take our order, which she replied, I will be with you in a minute. After ordering the food it took another 45 minutes to arrive (soup, Caesar salad and toasted sandwich) and when it did it was only luke warm. A lady sitting near us who had also ordered a sandwich came over to us to ask was our food ok, as her sandwich was also only luke warm. She said she regularly eats there but standard has gone down considerably. Eventually manager came over to apologise, but that was all. It might have been an idea to say, we will not charge you for the food that was poor.

I have stayed in hotel on many occasions and I would note that a number of staff at reception and in the bar need to prioritise customer relations, and realise that the guests pay their salaries. Without guests there would be no hotel. I will not be staying or dining at this hotel again, mainly because of service and lack of concern when also staying during Galway races in 2013. There was constant noise and loud music coming from the bar till 2am most days. We tried to order food one evening at 9.15 and told kitchen was closed. Staff just said sorry it's not our problem, because it's race week. While many good reviews have been written and rooms with sea view are pleasant and spacious, could I offer a suggestion that staff frequently reminded and trained in good customer relations. Thank you for reading this.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bp M

Dear Bp M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Salthill hotel.

I am bitterly disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment regarding your stay at the Galway Races as I was not part of the Management Team at the time, however, I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly as I would love to meet with you in person to discuss the issues as I know we can and will meet and exceed your future expectations and just hope you give us the opportunity to do so.