“Great location, lovely hotel”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Attended a wedding here and stayed overnight. Got a very good price on the hotel website for the night considering it was a Saturday night. Check in was a bit slow and seemed a bit understaffed, but was very friendly. Had an excellent room at the corner on the 4th floor with a great view over the promenade.

Ordered a bowl of seafood chowder in the bar prior to the wedding meal and was one of the best chowders that I have tasted. Meal at the wedding itself was very very good and service was very friendly.

Breakfast was ok and member of staff showing us to table didn't seem too interested and was a bit unpleasant.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay and would def consider this hotel is visiting Galway again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the promenade if one is available.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,777)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

stayed for 2 nights could not get over how bad the staff were. had breakfast both mornings 1st morning was ok just might be a good idea for staff to learn basic customer service skills and even checking customers during their breakfast. 2nd morning waited 10mins nobody offered tea or coffee so i got up and asked the waitress was not very impressed as i got a look thrown at me when i asked anyway another 10 mins passed when we eventually got our tea. we were walking past reception later that day and one of staff walked out from side door at reception and straight into us but didnt care never apologised forced her way past us. very disappointed

• Stayed: March 2014
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear TBrowne,

I am disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations. .

I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive) and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

I hope that you will return to Salthill hotel.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Was here for a family wedding on Saturday the 1st of March. Everything was exceptional from the food to the service to the accommodation. Everybody was in amazement at just how well we were accommodated and be able to relax in the warm friendly atmosphere. When awoke in the morning the warm and hotel was warm and cosy and the breakfast was 5 stars. Would recommend definitely staying here and will be making return trips myself :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aislingxoxox,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Salthill hotel and thank you for a wonderful review.

It was such a pleasure to read that you had a fabulous time at the wedding and that our service was excellent.

We know how important these moments are for our guests and will always do our very best to make these occasions and celebrations as memorable and special as possible.

We hope that you can visit us again soon and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Not in the habit of writing these reviews, but when it comes to the Salthill Hotel Galway, one feels compelled to when the product is so good. Check in, value for money, food, service and rooms are all excellent, coming from a previous Hotel background, one knows what to look out for and one could not find any faults whatsoever with the Salthill Hotel. Everyone of the staff are so friendly and helpful. The food is delicious and great value, breakfast was excellent also and nothing seemed any bother to the staff, from Edel and Hazel on reception to Anne in Housekeeping, everything was flawless. Seaview rooms were an additional bonus also! Not always possible I know, but thanks again folks for everything, we hope to return soon again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jaykay2

Dear Jaykay2,

Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor following your stay with us it was a pleasure to read.

We are all delighted to read how much you enjoyed every aspect of your visit. The Team here at Salthill endeavour to provide each of our guests with a wonderful stay and I am really delighted that you had such a good time. They will be delighted to read your review and thank you for all your kind words.

I hope that you return to visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enjoyed a two night stay here Feb 19th n 20th. Room was spacious and clean, comfortable and very quiet . Breakfast was excellent and staff in general were very friendly. Leisure centre was well appointed but changing rooms and showers were not clean! Only other issue was that when I returned at 2.00am I had to stand out in the rain n ring the hotel to get access?? However overall it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John M

Dear John M,

Thank you for taking the time to review Salthill hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding our well appointed spacious rooms and courteous effecient staff.

I would however like to extend my apologies that you were left waiting outside until the night porter opened the automatic doors. We did have an issue whereby our outside intercom recorded a fault and unfortunately we did not get an replacement until the following day.

I have also addressed the cleanliness of the changing rooms in the leisure centre with the staff and as our members and regular guests can attest to this is not the norm in our 5 star facility.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Salthill in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Like a good quality four star hotel. Bar really nice staff very friendly and welcoming. Pool area high quality and sauna and steam room and jacuzzi very good and spacious. Bring toiletries down though as not available in pool area. Room a very good size and need very comfortable. Even though there was a wedding on the run was quiet asides just the right temperature for sleeping, not too warm or stuffy. The buffet breakfast was a very high standard much better than the usual selection. Overall would highly recommend!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear whittersDublin,

The Team here at Salthill endeavour to provide each of our guests with a wonderful stay and I am really delighted that you had such a good time. The will be thrilled to read your review and thank you for all your kind words.

We hope that you can visit us again soon and thank you for your review,

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms from booking.com for a very good price.
1.Reception...When we arrived we had allocated two rooms at the 4 floors but the lady from the reception relocated as on the first floor and when a asked why... she replayed me with a bad attitude telling me that all the rooms have changed.
2. Location of the hotel it's fantastic.
3. Rooms very good,nice and clean.
4. Swimming pool area very nice and clean with very helpful staff.
5. Breakfasts very good, including the staff witch was very helpful.
6. But in the pub we had a very bad experience... Looked like everybody just avoided us. After we arrived we waited over 20 minutes for menus and when I got to the bar the guys from there didn't want to take my orders, telling me that it's a table service and after that, somebody arrived with the menus...
Taking the orders slow
Wrong sides arrived with the main course
Food nice and tasty served in the right time
Drinks served perfectly and on time
But in the end when we wanted to pay with 2 cards
The waitress lost her temper and didn't want to do that unless
She split the bill in 2 different ones witch required to wait long time again, so I decided to pay for my friends. We didn't need the bills separated, we just wanted to pay separate.
Anyway overall we enjoyed, but next time when we come again we'll avoid some areas.
It's sad that 2 out of 6 failed complectly.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Maxim A,

Given your experience I understand and recognise that your perception of us have been marred and I would appreciate the opportunity, if you would be amenable, to restore your faith in us.

I would therefore be grateful if you would get in touch with me on fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com so I can not only apologise to you in person but also discuss the possibility of a return visit to the Salthill hotel.

I know we can and will meet and exceed your future expectations and just hope you give us the opportunity to do so.