“Lovely worth a visit”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Got a weekend in this hotel as a present. There was two of us family both adults. We found from the minute we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. As for the food in the blackrock cafe and bar it was well presented and very tasty. There is a leisure centre in this hotel which guests can use. The location of this hotel is very good as it's right in front of the sea. This time of year is good to go as there is not many tourists. Would go back again

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Salthill Hotel

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was booked in the Hotel for two nights while attending a trade show. Breakfast on the first morning was out of he Fawlty Towers hotel manual!, ordered tea got coffee, ordered poached eggs, no eggs forthcoming , waited for 20 minutes still no eggs..had to leave due to attending Trade Show. I received an apology from waitress, duty manager and manager with an offer of an upgrade, which I did not take as there was too much hassle in changing room.
I can appreciate thing can go wrong especially on a busy morning but alas more was to come.
At dinner things still were awry...my colleague and I ordered dinner in the dinning room and ordered starter of fish cakes and steaks( medium rare for my self). the fish cakes were cold and they were returned and replaced again, an apology was received with a complimentary glass of wine. My steak was not medium rare but on the well done side of medium but at this stage I did not have the heart to complain due to hunger and complaining fatigue! To crown it all the dinner was €37 which was excessive for such mediocre fare.
The service in the bar was slow but a very efficient and courteous lounge girl(did not get her name) saved the night drink service wise.
On checking out there was a €25 reduction for the breakfast fiasco
Add in poor and unfriendly service especially at breakfast and charge for wifi my stay was disappointing to say the least.
I stay in quite a lot of hotels in Ireland as part of my work and find the standards of service, food, to be very high but this hotel was a serious exception to this norm and would not stay in it again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear sceirde,

Thank you for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

Needless to say I was disappointed to read your comments about your stay particularly given the fact that I spoke to you personally and made every effort to sort out the issues you were experiencing. You assured me that you were fine and thanked me for getting in contact with you.

I was out of the country on business when notification of your revew came to my attention, however every effort has been made by my colleagues to contact you to no avail.

I can only hope that you will be so kind as to contact me directly either by phone or by email on fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com so I can follow up in a more specific way and perhaps persuade you to return to stay with us so as we can restore your faith in the Salthill hotel Experience.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have stayed here on a few occasions and have enjoyed it every time. It is a fantastic location for lovely walks on the prom and the bus stops right outside to bring you to city centre.
You must get a room with sea view so worth it,,,, the food is very good and the bar is great modern and lively. Well worth a visit,,,,

Room Tip: Sea view room a must
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Dear All!
My husband and I held our wedding ceremony and reception in The Salthill Hotel on January 3th, 2014 and we had a fantastic stress-free day. Pauline and her staff were the BEST – friendly, caring & professional at all time. The food was great, full of flavour and served in a timely fashion. The rooms were lovely, comfortable and clean. All my guests complemented the staff, food, facilities and value for money as do we.
We would recommend Pauline, her staff and The Salthill Hotel for all occasions, big or small. You will enjoy your stay and want to go back for more…
Sinead, Paul & Meadhbh

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sinead408,

Thank you for a wonderful review.

It was such a pleasure to read that your wedding day was fantastic and that our service was excellent.

We know how important these moments are for our guests and Pauline will always do her very best to make these occasions and celebrations as memorable and special as possible.

We look forward to seeing you on your 1st Anniversay and again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Attended a wedding here and stayed overnight. Got a very good price on the hotel website for the night considering it was a Saturday night. Check in was a bit slow and seemed a bit understaffed, but was very friendly. Had an excellent room at the corner on the 4th floor with a great view over the promenade.

Ordered a bowl of seafood chowder in the bar prior to the wedding meal and was one of the best chowders that I have tasted. Meal at the wedding itself was very very good and service was very friendly.

Breakfast was ok and member of staff showing us to table didn't seem too interested and was a bit unpleasant.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay and would def consider this hotel is visiting Galway again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the promenade if one is available.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

stayed for 2 nights could not get over how bad the staff were. had breakfast both mornings 1st morning was ok just might be a good idea for staff to learn basic customer service skills and even checking customers during their breakfast. 2nd morning waited 10mins nobody offered tea or coffee so i got up and asked the waitress was not very impressed as i got a look thrown at me when i asked anyway another 10 mins passed when we eventually got our tea. we were walking past reception later that day and one of staff walked out from side door at reception and straight into us but didnt care never apologised forced her way past us. very disappointed

• Stayed: March 2014
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear TBrowne,

I am disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations. .

I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive) and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

I hope that you will return to Salthill hotel.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Was here for a family wedding on Saturday the 1st of March. Everything was exceptional from the food to the service to the accommodation. Everybody was in amazement at just how well we were accommodated and be able to relax in the warm friendly atmosphere. When awoke in the morning the warm and hotel was warm and cosy and the breakfast was 5 stars. Would recommend definitely staying here and will be making return trips myself :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aislingxoxox,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Salthill hotel and thank you for a wonderful review.

It was such a pleasure to read that you had a fabulous time at the wedding and that our service was excellent.

We know how important these moments are for our guests and will always do our very best to make these occasions and celebrations as memorable and special as possible.

We hope that you can visit us again soon and thank you for your review.

Best Regards,