“Great location - even better staff!”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Dublin
“Great location - even better staff!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A group of us booked this hotel for a few days golf in the Galway area. Each & everyone of our group was complimentary for all aspects of the hotel. The rooms were excellent. Free surface & underground car parking available. The Reservations service (Valerie) could not have been more helpful. Reception was friendly, Bar fine and the Dining on our Friday night dinner excellent. All in all a great all round package. I would strongly recommend this hotel as a base for a holiday in the Galway area. It is just a little away from the city centre area which makes it a bit more peaceful. The views out onto Galway Bay, the Clare coast & the Aran Islands are just stunning. The village of Barna just a few minutes out the road feature some excellent seafood restaurants - Try Donnellys there. Two golf courses within 10 minutes. What more could anyone ask for ! There is a lovely small park just beside the hotel well worth spending a few thoughtful minutes in. It is dedicated to Organ Donors. A nice idea.

Room Tip: A sea view room is well worth a little extra.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We like a good deal and if it is in front of a beautiful bay even more. We dared to arrive with backpacks. Well, the receptionist on the 14th of May did treat us like second class. When I ignored that and ask if we could have a ocean view, she replied that we get nothing for free. Wow, who said that we do not pay for it? Did you ask us? Then she gave us room which I would like to call " The forgotten place" Hair (not mine), used shampoo, old and stinky. We stayed 14 days in Ireland, we stayed at 5 star places and 2 star places, even the lower level hotel rooms were not so bad as Salthill, because of the staff. I worked over 5 years ranking hotels. The staff makes up 60% of the "hotel impression". Maybe the Manager should school this reception a bit better. If they have a problem to "serve" they should not work at a hotel

Room Tip: This hotel is not worse more than 50 Dollar a night. If you like to stay at a good place to to the B...
3 Thank Ulli B
bedford
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Initially I thought this hotel was pretty average when we arrived outside - however don't be fooled as you step through the doors into pure elegance! Sea view room was beautiful, well worth the extra ££ just for the view. Staff were excellent, couldn't have accommodated us more - especially when we turned up early with a teething grumpy baby and special effort was made to get our room ready. He had a lovely sleep and our sanity was saved. Thank you so much to the reception staff, you have no idea how much we appreciated that! Rooms very comfortable indeed and breakfast was excellent with a huge choice - Jean the waitress deserves a special mention as she was just so friendly and welcoming. Would highly recommend this hotel, they really do go above and beyond for their customers and the location is just perfect.

Stayed May 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my 3rd time staying at the Salthill hotel and I have to say I was disappointed, you can see the standard of service has dropped. The breakfast was only ok, the waiting staff were rushed off their feet and did the best they could but it was often difficult to get their attention for tea/toast (which nobody told us we needed to ask for, we just saw someone else asking).

The room itself was very noisy, with a band every night we stay (6 nights). On top of that housekeeping staff don't seem to understand the 'Do Not Disturb' sign when it is hung on the door. We were tormented on 2 days...after late nights at a wedding when we wanted a sleep in. They came into the room 3 times and also rang the room, this was just on one of the days! The second day not as bad only twice...but do not disturb means not at all!

Also when booking with the hotel I received confirmation that my card would be charged within 24 hours of booking. It seems this didn't happen and I was charged at the end of my stay. Luckily I was not on a tight budget so had money to pay.

Overall a disappointing stay and they have lost a returning customer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pickla
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Pickla,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I am of course sorry that the hotel fell below expectations on this occassion.I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive) and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

Finally, I would like to restore your faith in the Salthill experience, so I would ask you to contact me personally at fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com

Best Regards,
Dublin
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed in the Salthill Hotel in Galway for 2 nights in 2013. Firstly the hotel is ideally located right on the coast. If you get a room at the front of the hotel there are few better views in all the country on a nice day. The hotel is modern and clean and I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and polite.

I stayed here for 2 nights on business so I didn’t get to try the local amenities and the weather was terrible while I was there, so I was stuck in the hotel most of the time, which was actually fine. The rooms are fairly standard but clean and tidy.

The hotel has a lovely pool, which I used several times (This is free for guests of the hotel).

As I was working I also ate in the hotel both nights. I just ate in the bar/lounge, choosing not to try the higher end hotel restaurant. The food in the bar was very tasty and presented well.

I also got breakfast both morning. This breakfast was again standard hotel fair. Cereals, jams and breads anda hot option. Very tasty of course but quite standard.

I was happy with the stay here and found no reason for complaint with my experience.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a nice place to stay while in Galway.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the front of the hotel so you can get an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

When I last stayed at this hotel - about two years ago - the rooms had a very weary and past their sell by date appearance. No longer the case. This time around, the rooms are much improved, and now have a very smart and clean feel.
Our stay was related to a wedding, but we stayed on an extra night to take advantage of the fine weather in Galway. The hotel seems to specialise in weddings and functions, and is clearly very popular. Not surprising, as it combines good quality of service with reasonable prices.
Check in and check out was both efficient and pleasant. Buffet breakfast was top quality, with the "full Irish" as well as lots of other options available.
And you're right on the seafront in Salthill. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a wonderful view of Galway Bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Skibbereen E,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Salthill hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have recently completed a refurbishment programme to many of our rooms so I am delighted you are impressed with the improvement.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and again thank you for your positive comments.

Best Regards,
Reviewed 20 May 2014

So... Where do I start with this review? I’m lying here in my hotel bed listening to someone else's television at god knows what time in the morning because the rooms are not sound proofed adequately. It doesn't help that they cater for geriatrics, so the clientele probably have hearing issues. Nevertheless being able to hear the crappy bar band and sing along word for word three stories up from where they are playing is not a good sign is it?

This hotel is a perfect example of management failure, I used to work in a five star hotel and I understand how it is all supposed to work. All good hotels have a solid management structure to constantly check on the quality of work done by their employees. This is where the Salthill Hotel is clearly lacking.

The bare minimum a hotel should provide is a bed and shower or bath, some will also offer a breakfast. This hotel can’t even do that properly! When we stayed there was no hot water for a wash, critical when you have a wedding to attend that day. We had to endure the embarrassment of trooping through the hotel in dressing gowns to use the pubic hair ridden showers in the public pool, and I assure you they were filthy. And it’s always fun sharing a large public wash area with loads of naked men (or women in my partner’s case) wandering around with their bits dangling everywhere. Obviously we couldn’t take our smart clothes down to get changed into. When checking out I requested a discount on our room stay and was declined. I asked to speak to the Reception Manager and the spineless individual wouldn’t come to speak to me, passing dictat’s via phone to the beleaguered staff I was dealing with. I’m sure she will be reading this and she knows who she is. The staff were constantly saying it was ‘beyond their control’, I hope it was but the point is this hotel charged me full price for a service they didn’t provide.

Serving staff in the downstairs bar / restaurant tried to pass someone else’s bill onto us. That didn’t last long though as I firmly explained their mistake.

The downstairs bar men's toilet is made up with expensive looking granite yet inexplicably there was a great big hole kicked into the wall that I suspect has been there a long time. I find this strange because of the effort they went to with decor and yet management haven’t bothered to get it fixed.

There were a number of Housekeeping and Maintenance problems with our room, again all symptomatic of management not bothering to do checks. The shower tiles had a lot of grime in the grouting, these should be scrubbed clean. The lightbulbs were very dusty, a good place to check if cleaning is done properly because this would take five seconds. There were cobwebs on the ceiling, easy and quick to rectify but another example of cleaning short cuts that management are not on top of. We thankfully had clean pillow cases and pillow protectors under those, but there were lots of long black hairs inside the case on the protector, which was pretty foul. We had wallpaper peeling away from the wall and it looks like it had been like that for a long time. The TV was all programmed on the wrong channels according to the hotel guide, Maintenance should be all over this.

There were no accessible power sockets in our room. In today’s age where everyone needs to charge mobile phones, tablets and whatever else takes your fancy this is inexcusable. I had to call Reception in case I was being stupid and just couldn’t see them. They sent up a chap and he immediately pulled out a heavy piece of furniture to reveal two sockets that were not visible otherwise. The furniture had to be left permanently ajar to fit plugs in. They have obviously had this complaint before so why not fix it?

The morning we left, the hotel entrance way looked like the morning after a teenager’s party. There were cigarettes all over the ground just outside the main door and half consumed alcoholic drinks all over the place including in various pot plants. This was at 9am so you have to ask why hadn’t a manager directed somebody to clean it up by then? It leaves a terrible impression.

My partner and I are no spring chickens at a little over forty but I would estimate we were the youngest guests here by about twenty years. They clearly cater for an older customer who I suspect doesn’t notice or like to complain about the serious flaws in the running of The Salthill Hotel. I definitely would not stay here again.

Oh… and it pretty much rains all the time in Galway.

3 Thank steve23094
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Steve23094,

Thank you for taking the time to review Salthill hotel and I regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Although you are quite entitled to review the hotel, I would like to say that I do not think people of an older generation will take too kindly to your comments.

We pride ourselves on our customer care and service and the hotel caters for all generations and walks of life so your hostile comments are not a true reflection of the patrons of the hotel.

I would like to point out that the day you arrived we had an unfortunate incident whereby our main water pump failed resulting in no hot water the following morning as we waited for a part to arrive from Dublin.

The hot water returned mid morning, you were offered a late check out and you were upgraded complimentary on your next stay two days later.

I feel your issues were addressed at the time and I am disappointed you do not want to return so that I may restore your faith in the Salthill Experience.

I remain at your disposal should you wish to contact me at any stage and thank you again for your feedback.