“No need to look anywhere else in Galway”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel has it all. It's location right on Galway Bay is absolutely perfect. It has the feeling of plush and luxury from the minute you enter the lobby. The rooms overlooking the bay are really beautiful. Very comfortable beds. Beautiful appointments. Luxurious modern bathrooms. Plush carpeting on the corridors that absorbs any noise. Never heard anything. The Olympic size pool is a must for any swimmer. Fabulous gym overlooking the pool. Loved the bar off the lobby- it's got an old world cozy feel, yet, again, the lovely views over the bay from some high tops and couches. On sunny days there is a beautiful patio outside. I didn't get to eat in the restaurant, Prom, which is right there, but I walked thru it and examined the menu. Looked delicious. And great prices, something for everyone. My Dad and I enjoyed the most delicious lunch from the bar. I've never ever tasted such delicious chowder in my life, really wholesome pieces of fish thru it. Served with home made brown bread it was absolutely perfect for the hunger I had after a lovely walk on the prom. I've attended a large wedding at this hotel and the experience was fantastic. I was AMAZED at how they got all the food out on time and still piping hot. I had fish that day too, and it was delicious. The full Irish breakfasts are also excellent. I can't say enough about this hotel. I have recommended it to many friends and everyone raved about it. If you are headed to Galway( a must if you are traveling through Ireland) - just forget looking for another hotel or B and B. You won't regret the decision. You simply cannot beat the location on the prom and overlooking Galway Bay and beautiful sunsets.

Room Tip: I know they are not guaranteed, but request an ocean view, and if that's not possible, ask for a...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Salthill Hotel

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A group of us booked this hotel for a few days golf in the Galway area. Each & everyone of our group was complimentary for all aspects of the hotel. The rooms were excellent. Free surface & underground car parking available. The Reservations service (Valerie) could not have been more helpful. Reception was friendly, Bar fine and the Dining on our Friday night dinner excellent. All in all a great all round package. I would strongly recommend this hotel as a base for a holiday in the Galway area. It is just a little away from the city centre area which makes it a bit more peaceful. The views out onto Galway Bay, the Clare coast & the Aran Islands are just stunning. The village of Barna just a few minutes out the road feature some excellent seafood restaurants - Try Donnellys there. Two golf courses within 10 minutes. What more could anyone ask for ! There is a lovely small park just beside the hotel well worth spending a few thoughtful minutes in. It is dedicated to Organ Donors. A nice idea.

Room Tip: A sea view room is well worth a little extra.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We like a good deal and if it is in front of a beautiful bay even more. We dared to arrive with backpacks. Well, the receptionist on the 14th of May did treat us like second class. When I ignored that and ask if we could have a ocean view, she replied that we get nothing for free. Wow, who said that we do not pay for it? Did you ask us? Then she gave us room which I would like to call " The forgotten place" Hair (not mine), used shampoo, old and stinky. We stayed 14 days in Ireland, we stayed at 5 star places and 2 star places, even the lower level hotel rooms were not so bad as Salthill, because of the staff. I worked over 5 years ranking hotels. The staff makes up 60% of the "hotel impression". Maybe the Manager should school this reception a bit better. If they have a problem to "serve" they should not work at a hotel

Room Tip: This hotel is not worse more than 50 Dollar a night. If you like to stay at a good place to to the B...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ulli B
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Initially I thought this hotel was pretty average when we arrived outside - however don't be fooled as you step through the doors into pure elegance! Sea view room was beautiful, well worth the extra ££ just for the view. Staff were excellent, couldn't have accommodated us more - especially when we turned up early with a teething grumpy baby and special effort was made to get our room ready. He had a lovely sleep and our sanity was saved. Thank you so much to the reception staff, you have no idea how much we appreciated that! Rooms very comfortable indeed and breakfast was excellent with a huge choice - Jean the waitress deserves a special mention as she was just so friendly and welcoming. Would highly recommend this hotel, they really do go above and beyond for their customers and the location is just perfect.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my 3rd time staying at the Salthill hotel and I have to say I was disappointed, you can see the standard of service has dropped. The breakfast was only ok, the waiting staff were rushed off their feet and did the best they could but it was often difficult to get their attention for tea/toast (which nobody told us we needed to ask for, we just saw someone else asking).

The room itself was very noisy, with a band every night we stay (6 nights). On top of that housekeeping staff don't seem to understand the 'Do Not Disturb' sign when it is hung on the door. We were tormented on 2 days...after late nights at a wedding when we wanted a sleep in. They came into the room 3 times and also rang the room, this was just on one of the days! The second day not as bad only twice...but do not disturb means not at all!

Also when booking with the hotel I received confirmation that my card would be charged within 24 hours of booking. It seems this didn't happen and I was charged at the end of my stay. Luckily I was not on a tight budget so had money to pay.

Overall a disappointing stay and they have lost a returning customer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pickla
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Pickla,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I am of course sorry that the hotel fell below expectations on this occassion.I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive) and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

Finally, I would like to restore your faith in the Salthill experience, so I would ask you to contact me personally at fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed in the Salthill Hotel in Galway for 2 nights in 2013. Firstly the hotel is ideally located right on the coast. If you get a room at the front of the hotel there are few better views in all the country on a nice day. The hotel is modern and clean and I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and polite.

I stayed here for 2 nights on business so I didn’t get to try the local amenities and the weather was terrible while I was there, so I was stuck in the hotel most of the time, which was actually fine. The rooms are fairly standard but clean and tidy.

The hotel has a lovely pool, which I used several times (This is free for guests of the hotel).

As I was working I also ate in the hotel both nights. I just ate in the bar/lounge, choosing not to try the higher end hotel restaurant. The food in the bar was very tasty and presented well.

I also got breakfast both morning. This breakfast was again standard hotel fair. Cereals, jams and breads anda hot option. Very tasty of course but quite standard.

I was happy with the stay here and found no reason for complaint with my experience.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a nice place to stay while in Galway.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the front of the hotel so you can get an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

When I last stayed at this hotel - about two years ago - the rooms had a very weary and past their sell by date appearance. No longer the case. This time around, the rooms are much improved, and now have a very smart and clean feel.
Our stay was related to a wedding, but we stayed on an extra night to take advantage of the fine weather in Galway. The hotel seems to specialise in weddings and functions, and is clearly very popular. Not surprising, as it combines good quality of service with reasonable prices.
Check in and check out was both efficient and pleasant. Buffet breakfast was top quality, with the "full Irish" as well as lots of other options available.
And you're right on the seafront in Salthill. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a wonderful view of Galway Bay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Skibbereen E,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Salthill hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have recently completed a refurbishment programme to many of our rooms so I am delighted you are impressed with the improvement.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and again thank you for your positive comments.

Best Regards,