Salthill Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
2,890 results
All reviewsprom restaurantsea viewgreat hotelleisure centregalway baybar foodgreat facilitieswedding receptionsalt hillwould highly recommend this hotelboth nightsenjoyable staylovely roomhotel bartop classa lovely stayfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed overnight at the Salthill Hotel because it was reasonably priced and had great reviews. The promenade was a talked about feature and whilst it was very pretty from the car it was too cold and windy to take a walk. A 5 min drive to the centre of town. Breakfast was expensive at almost 13 euro.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First of all, we were checking out a couple of hotels locally for lunch for a 50th wedding anniversary for my parents. I was impressed firstly by the friendly hotel receptionist who offered me tea or coffee and promptly followed up on my enquiry.

This was a simple lunch for about 15 people. The restaurant manager Salvatore phoned me to explain the menus and while we loved the sample menu,he explained that he would tweak it to suit the taste of my elderly parents on request.

On the morning of the lunch, he again phoned me to confirm everything was in order. When we arrived, we were personally met by Salvatore and the lovely waitresses. In short the food was excellent. Let me repeat that...excellent... cooked fresh and beautifully presented. All of the party really enjoyed the food and dining experience. As a former restaurant owner I would like to sincerely thank Salvadore and his staff for a wonderful lunch experience and I look forward to dining here again. Many thanks and best wishes. Liam

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Liam K
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is clean, bright and modern, but....

From reading previous reviews, it seems that the Salthill hotel is aiming for 4* status, however I think there are a few things that are holding it back.
1. No phone signal in room - how is this even possible? The hotel is not in a rural area and not having phone signal in this day and age is just not acceptable (we're on different networks and both had the same problem)
2. No bath, only showers in rooms - bit rough and ready for my taste
3. The Salthill Hotel is seemingly a regular wedding venue (every weekend apparently) and therefore I can't imagine how they don't have the cop in not to put non wedding guests in rooms that are above the bar/function rooms and therefore keep guests awake - I'm sure there were rooms on higher floors that would have been much quieter, that were allocated to wedding guests who were the very same people keeping us awake late into the night. A bit of common sense please.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you are not part of the weekly wedding party.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah H
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Sarah H,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

My apologies to you that you were unable to get a phone signal. I am of the belief that Eircom are currently working on upgrading the networks in Galway and this should alleviate the issue in the not too distant future.

With regards to the noise issue, it is most certainly our policy to allocate the rooms near the function room to our wedding guests and I can only assume as I am unsure of the date you stayed that on this occasion the wedding was local with not as much demand for rooms.

I remain at your disposal should you wish to contact me at any stage and thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon arrival the hotel seems to be perfect location and I we'll decorated. However, when checking in we were given no info just given our room cards. Going into the room you are looking straight into the tiny bathroom which had a cold shower and a toilet roll holder you couldn't reach. The room was small with little space to get from one side to the other. Bed sheets were dirty on arrival. The room had nail varnish stains on table, only two sockets and an exposed cable taped with earth tape. The windows in our not sea facing room could open fully, I could fit through and go on the hotel roof which has no safety rail etc. this is not safe for children. I could also go out my window and into a neighbouring room via their window simply if I wished. The room cleaning staff start banging in the hallways from 6a.m each morning. They wait with their carts in the hallway and watch for people leaving their rooms. On one occasion after our room already being entered in morning by staff (only made bed). Around 6 p.m a staff member entered the room without knocked. Saw me and said 'are you okay?' And then left. One evening we asked at reception for directions to which the woman tutted, told us the directions made a rude remark and stated she was busy and couldn't call us a taxi for at least another hour. Finally, the price was ridiculous for the service and room given (thought price would ensure the quality, I was wrong). I will never return or recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lisa O

Dear Lisa O,

I am disappointed to read your recent review and want to start by apologising for failing to deliver the high standards of service we set for ourselves and clearly failing to meet your expectations.

I hope you will accept my personal assurance that your experience is not indicative of the high service levels we strive to and do achieve so consistently and I can assure you that we will use your feedback to close these gaps in our service as a matter of the utmost priority.

We have recently renovated many of our rooms and the small balance of rooms are due for completion in October 2014.

Given your experience I understand and recognise that your perception of us have been marred and I would appreciate the opportunity, if you would be amenable, to restore your faith in us.

I would therefore be grateful if you would get in touch with me at fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com so I can not only apologise to you in person but also discuss the possibility of a return visit to the Salthill hotel.

I know we can and will meet and exceed your future expectations and just hope you give us the opportunity to do so.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Dropped in here for lunch. The views are just breathtaking from the bar. Staff very friendly. Food was lovely, would definitely recommend to anyone to drop in. Fabulous hotel inside and out. Can't fault.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple