“Nice location with seaview”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice location with seaview”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time. Rooms are very large, quiet and clean and ours had seaview. Location is great on Salthill Promenade which is a 20 min walk from the city center. Staff is friendly and breakfast was buffet style. Very recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dublinherbert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Easy parking below the hotel.
Nice spa facilities.
Friendly staff.
Great location to enjoy the prom.
Nice food at breakfast.
There were notices in the spa/pool area to wear overshoe protectors - no-one does.
I wrote my name in the dust on the bedroom furniture. Didn't bother complaining only there one night and don't expect to waste precious time reporting basic cleaning issues.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tab_toby
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at The Salthill hotel in a family room which for the money was a bit of a let down.. The roman blinds had damp patches which is off putting and the view was nothing only roof tops couldn't really open windows very well... There was a wedding party in the hotel when we arrived which was right in middle of reception area ..we felt so awkward walking in and out with luggage and kids ..
I really feel nowadays there should be a family room in leisure centres as my son wasn't allowed come to change in ladies changing rooms as he is over 8 years old.. This was a bit upsetting for all as he did not want to go on his own to the mens..and neither did I...
Very expensive for our one night which was disappointing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Elaine R
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear Elaine R,
Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent stay at Salthill Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay with us. Salthill Hotel would be renowned as being one of Galway’s Premier Wedding destinations and as the guests arrive via the main hotel reception it can sometimes temporarily make for a busy lobby. I have passed your comments regarding your suggestion for family changing rooms onto our Fitness Centre Manager for his consideration.
I hope that we make get the opportunity to welcome you & your family back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Best regards,
Fiona Killilea
Houghton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in a sea view room and sitting looking out over the bay was spectacular. Our break included breakfast and dinner on one night and that meal was really good quality and the restaurant staff very friendly. We were traveling around Ireland and this was one of the best breakfasts we had with good quality ingredients. Although travelling by car we chose to catch a bus from the bus stop directly outside the hotel which took us straight into the city centre and the return journey was less than 4 Euro. The room was large and had everything we needed such as Tea Coffee an ironing board and a good powerful shower as well as a separate bath, A lovely hotel and we will definitely visit again if we can.

Room Tip: Sea view is great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian L
Reviewed 15 August 2014

First the positives:
The staff are very courteous and helpful
The breakfast was delicious with fresh ingredients and a variety of food to choose from
The negatives:
It was hard to find, not at all well signposted
We paid E458 for two nights for a double room which was on the small side and with virtually no natural light. It was like a cave!
The bar food was execrable but we were there during Galway race week; a member of staff told us anything goes culinary-wise at this time of year.
Prices for food & drink were excessive. Taxis to and from the city centre cost over E30 a time

I found the locals uncouth to put it politely!! But that's not the hotel's fault.
I won't be back.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nifhionnlaoich
Dear Nifhionnlaoich,
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us. We do offer a variety of great value packages and rates throughout the year at the hotel. As many hotels would do our prices would be seasonal which would affect the rate. I would recommend our own website to avail of our very best offers.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Best regards,
Fiona Killilea
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews but I stayed in the salthill hotel and I have to comment on the outstanding view from the Blackrock bar it was a beautiful day and just sitting at the bar looking out on to the bay it has the most spectacular view of Clare! The bar it self is really well finished the staff are very helpful. I checked in with a girl called rachel she was really busy but still took the time to recommend the bar and prom restaurant. There was a wedding arriving, it was crowded but a nice atmosphere. The room had a beautiful sea view, clean and very comfortable. Flat screen TV for the football! As we were here for two nights we decided to go to the bar for one night have few drinks and some food. We sat at a table ordered from the menu. Both had the seafood special, fresh cod deep fried in a beer batter. Had a small problem with the chips a little over cooked, pointed it out to the manager, as he asked, was everything ok with our meal, he seemed to asked every table as he passed with a nice smile, I thought this was a nice touch excellent customer service, James was his name, he apologise and brought us fresh chips with in minutes, but the fish was really good. The same manager was behind the bar for the best part of the evening/night.You don't see that much, the suits in some hotels walk around the place!! After our meal we moved to the bar counter to have a few drinks. Spoke with the manager a few times and other staff they recommend things for us to do in galway and places to go out as we were heading into the city on Saturday night. Did not get up for breakfast so can't comment but I am sure it's nice! We had a late lunch in the bar Saturday, thai green curry and chicken stir fry noodles both excellent. Served by the same manager do ye ever go home!! Also your leisure centre is excellent. Check out by a different receptionist friendly and ask how was our stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul92o
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Let me start by positives to this hotel. Staff are very friendly throughout and go out of their way to help (Salvatore in the restaurant in particular). The hotel is spotless all round and the leisure centre is way better than most hotels I have stayed in. Another major plus is that I am a single parent and I wasnt charged single room suppliment which is what most hotels do & I find really annoying. My problem was our room and my parents room were very dark. We were basically looking out onto a brick wall. No views whatsoever. Considering the fantasic views that are outside, this was a major disappointment. I was actually claustrobic & didnt want to spend any time here on a sunny day. I could have asked to move but the hotel was full. So my advice is ask for a room with a view. My only other gripe is that service for food is very very slow in the bar. We ate here 4 times and each time was painfully slow waiting on our orders.

Room Tip: Defo ask for room with a view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family