Celtic Tourist Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$164
Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$175
US$263
US$235
Radisson Galway
  • Breakfast included
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$158
Travelocity
Flannery's Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$140
US$243
US$217
  • Restaurant
Maldron Hotel Galway(Oranmore)(Great Value!)
US$127
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$154
Orbitz.com
The Ardilaun Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$147
The Twelve Hotel(Barna)
US$270
US$254
Orbitz.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

The Hostel is expensive, don't worth the price. Well located but the beds are small, the internet is poor, the breakfast average and worst in the showers, very bad. The receptionist is cool and polite, and the Hostel is clean too. I really don't like the price.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Drecorrea
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Due to last-minute travel plans during the busy season and bank holidays this place was the only accommodation I could find in Galway. I had to stay here on two separate occasions and made both bookings at the same time without knowing what I was getting in to.

First Visit - 5th Aug. 2013, Room 6: I secured a double room and had to pay for both beds even though I was traveling alone, fairly common in many areas but irritating nonetheless. Still, at 50 Euro total (25 per bed), plus a 7 Euro fee paid to a booking agency, I didn't think it would be all that bad. When I was shown my room it turned out to be a 2meter x 3 meter cell with a decent sized window and a sink. Not terribly bad except that with the bunk bed in the room there was almost no space to unpack my clothes, change, or even just stand up.How the hell do they think TWO people would fit in a room this size?

Second Visit, 9-10 Aug. 2013, Room 2: This room is also a 2x3 meter jail cell. However, whereas Rm. 6 had a nice window and it's own sink, Room 2 has four blank walls and only a skylight in the ceiling that opened about 5cm. There is absolutely nothing in this room. Very little light, no sink, no shelf and NO AIR CIRCULATION! This room smelled of stale air all the time. My opinion is that it should be used for a closet rather than accommodation. And yet, they actually charged me MORE for this room at 60Euro per night (30 per bed and not including an addition 13euro charge to the on-line booking agency, hostelworld.com) and I was forced to make a reservation for a minimum of two nights, I guess because this was a Friday-Saturday. Objectively comparing this room to other facilities in the area, this room is not worth more than 10-15Euro total, and only in a last-minute emergency. If Room 6 was barely usable and was saved only by a decent window that opened wide and a sink in the room, Room 2 is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Overall Impression:
The Bad
When I arrived I was greeted by a carpeted stair case that smells of mold and mildew and like it hasn't been cleaned in years.
The hostel is cash only so after checking in I had to find a cash machine to pay the bill.
They wanted a passport or other i.d. or 20Euro security deposit for the keys. Most places it is only 5Euro.
I tried using the telephone by the check-in desk to call a rental car company but it didn't work other than to eat my money and not connect me with my intended contact.
The private double-rooms are smaller than what should be acceptable, even for a hostel. They are not really able to fit two full grown adults between the bunk beds and the wall.

There are two bathrooms on the third floor where both these rooms are located. It is really one room with a wall separating the two bathroom areas, one side of which has a window. On my first visit the floor of one bathroom was covered in water from an overflowing shower. The toilet in the other bathroom ran all the time and would not shut off. I lifted the cover off the tank to see if I could get the thing to stop running and discovered a large patch of black mildew (or black mold??) behind the toilet!!!

The Good
Clean rooms and clean bedding.
Mattresses are comfortable enough and I slept well enough.
The staff was really quite friendly. Well, the ladies were, there was one gentleman who seemed to care less if I was there or not. In talking with a girl from Australia I learned that they receive only a free bed (maybe a free breakfast?) for working there. Other hostels I've stayed at also provide a small income so it's employees can enjoy a meal out or small excursion on occasion. Apparently not this place.
The kitchen area was large and welcoming and the free breakfast of cereal and fruit was at least acceptable if not agreeable.
There is free internet access. However, the connection is so incredibly slow that if they tried to charge for it it would have been an absolute outrage.
The low quality of the rooms encourages you to stay out and enjoy the city as long as possible.

In summary, the pillow, sheets and blankets where quite clean and crisp and each room I stayed in was very clean and some of the staff was pleasant to interact with. However, In my opinion this place is not receiving the general maintenance it needs. The mildew and stink of the front entry was a turn-off and made an immediately bad impression. At least one shower would not drain and one toilet had something growing behind the tank. I had one brief conversation with the owner and he seemed to be a rather nice fellow. It's too bad he either is not putting any money back into the business or does not have the funds to keep it maintained, which I doubt considering the rates I paid to sleep in a prison cell.

This may not be the worst hostel in the world but there is certainly much better accommodation in Galway. Traveling on my own I am able to deal with most situations but unfortunately I would have been embarrassed to bring a significant other to this location. Pay a little more and stay from this place if you can afford to,

Room Tip: Pick a room at an accommodation other than this one. If you are going for a more private double accommodation Room 6 was the better of my two experiences.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Quinn H
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the evening, asked price to stay, and wnere to park. We were told 40 euro/for double room. Parked car, and then were told they had forgotten but price was now 50 euros because of bank holiday. We looked at tiny room with bunk beds and no bathroom. I asked if wifi was available in the room and was assured it worked fine. We are accustomed to staying at hostels, and accepted the outrageous price. We tried to shower, but hot water was nonfuntional. Wifi did not work anywhere for anyone including staff computer. I complained and asked for a 10 euro discount. Receptionist was helpful and polite, but said owner was very strict. She offered to call him, and I talked to him at length on the phone. The final result was take it or leave it for the full 50 euro ($76 US). It was now midnight, he was very rude and insulting. He said he would give us full refund, and we could find somewhere else to stay. It was our worst hostel experience of poor service and price gouging we have ever been subjected to of hundreds of nights we have spent in hostels.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank JTCKC
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I don't have a good thing to say about this place. Be it the dirty rooms, non-existence shower pressure, weird chest thumping music at 3am from the neighbours, rooms slightly larger then a tomb and I have to ask, who's brilliant idea was it to buy metal bed frames? If you're a big fellow like I am, they shriek like the devil when you move.

So, if you want good value, a decent sleep and a memorable experience, don't stay here, ever.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank CanucksAtLarge
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Just Don't do it. This place is just so horrible, it really ruined our trip. We stayed here for 4 days, sadly. We got a prison cell-like room (really! I am so serious, it was 2.5 meters on 3.5) and one couldn't open the door without hitting the bed. horrible. And after a rough, claustrophobic, noisy night (you can hear people breathing from beyond the tissue walls), you enter the bathroom where the water never, ever goes down and so you have a beautiful morning surprise from previous bathroom goers. each time. It might sound petty, but picture opening your day and closing your night in awful conditions-and this isn't a cheap hostel in a third world country, it's the most expensive city and we paid for this little piece of hell an obscene amount of money (non-refundable) and they don't let you see the room before booking. costs like a 3 star hotel. It broke our spirits and just ruined the entire Galway part of our trip.

Room Tip: Don't get a room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple