“Great Location”

Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Location”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I had been very excited to stay in this hotel as I had heard fantastic things.
Firstly I loved the decor and furnishings- quite girly and quirky.
The hotel reception itself is smaller than I imagined but not an issue, just something I noticed. The bedroom was lovely and it was clean as you would expect. The bathroom light kept flickering however on and off however it obviously didn't bother us that much that we felt the need to complain about it.
The food was fantastic. Breakfast was probably the best breakfast I've ever had in a hotel. Lots of options too. We had dinner one of the nights too and it was very nice , I'd definitely eat here again.

However the price is quite high to stay here.. Although prices in Galway are expensive especially in the summer and it is in a prime location. Having to pay for parking while paying such high hotel prices was a let down.
All in all though I really enjoyed the House Hotel and it's fantastic location!

Stayed August 2014
galwayguests, Front Office Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Katie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments via tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the lovely decor in our Lobby area and we too love pink here at The House. Even our Receptionists uniform is a funky pink!

Thank you for your positive feedback re cleanliness of your bedroom and also for mentioning the problem with flickering light in the bathroom. We have checked lights in all bathrooms immediately & resolved an issue.

I will pass on your compliments also to our chef’s who enjoy hearing all comments from our valued guest.

As a centrally located Hotel unfortunately we do not have our own car park. ‘Hynes Yard’ Multi-storey Car Park which we have an arrangement with is located only 100 yards away from our Hotel and it offer reduced rate of €7.00 for 24h to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Martha Normantowicz
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Little jewel at the heart of Galway city. Stayed there on the first night of my honeymoon. Served food late and had a wonderful cocktail bar. Room was spacious and modern, food was tasty and portions were generous. No on site parking but facilities were close by.

Dear Damien,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the House Hotel and our Cocktail Bar & Bistro. It is always such a pleasure to hear great and positive feedback from our valued customers and I'm delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay from start to finish of your honeymoon.

We look forward to having you and yours visit our Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,
Martha Normantowicz,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I have just spent two nights at the House Hotel in Galway, Ireland (14th and 15th August 2014.)
Not the cheapest place to stay in Galway but very good value for money and right in the thick of things downtown and just around the corner from the "Latin Quarter."
It is about 2 minutes walk to this place which is where all the bars and restaurants are. They have a pink and mauve themed reception area which as a bloke I found a little overpowering at first but the ladies will certainly like it.The rooms are quite unique in that the decor is pretty non standard and very individual. I found our room very light and airy. The bed, duvet and pillows were probably the best I have slept in and on in over 40 years of staying in good hotels. On our first morning I was awoken with very loud traffic noise from trucks making there way probably to the docks for the early morning crossing to the Aran Islands. However this was due to me leaving the double glazed windows open! I hadn't noticed there was an air conditioner in the room (which actually worked properly!). I slept like a log the next night.
I have to mention that the staff who are predominantly female were excellent in their attention to detail, particularly when serving breakfast. They were all very polite and full of advice about things to do locally. They all appeared to be very happy and enjoying working at the hotel.
We didn't dine there in the evening but had breakfast on both days. There is a self service buffet but not for hot food. They do however unusually serve fresh salmon. I can't recall seeing this as a breakfast option in any other hotel. This is usually because it is quite expensive. A nice touch.
However the full Irish breakfast was superb. Non of it was pre cooked, packaged stuff which most hotels seem to serve these days. I suspect that most of it is locally sourced and it tasted wonderful. The sausages were superb along with the white and black pudding. I didn't eat the puddings this morning as I was full up. They will do your eggs to order as well. Fried, scrambled or whatever.
All in all a very pleasant, different hotel experience which as a seasoned hotel veteran I thoroughly enjoyed. I would recommend the House Hotel to anyone staying in Galway. We shall certainly stay there again when visiting.

Room Tip: All rooms are individually furnished and none are the same. Ours was superbly furnished and decorate...
Dear Dennis,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay here at The House Hotel. We really do appreciate your lovely comments in relation to our décor.

I'm delighted to read that your room met with your expectations and you enjoyed the comfort of our new bedding . We aim to have a home away from home experience for our valued guests and I'm happy you picked up on this during your stay.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your Breakfast on both mornings. Our Head Chef and his team are using locally sourced ingredients to ensure that each dish is full of mouth watering flavours that guests will leave wanting to come back over and over again not only for Breakfast but also on our lunch & evening menu.

Thank you for recommending our Hotel and we wish to welcome you back to stay with us in future.

Kindest regards,
Martha Normantowicz
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We got slightly lost through the cobblestone streets on our way over, but once we found it we were very happy with everything during our 3-night stay.

First impressions: the receptionists were friendly and helpful; the lobby was well-furnished and very pink (in a funky, trendy way); the (attached) bar atmosphere and prices were good; and the room was very comfortable with nice beds and a big tub.

We enjoyed great food service in the lobby (who doesn't want a fresh scone and coffee served to you on a luxurious pink couch?) - even the brand new waitress serving us was on the ball. We didn't have the breakfast buffet, but it seemed like a good selection.

As I *always* say: The lobby is where the party starts. This turned out to be true; around 9pm on a Friday (Saturday?) there was a steady flow of people into the lobby and bar, including a hen party that joined us on the sofas! Fast service, good food/drinks... Great time.

Of course, the location is also amazing, as it's right beside the Spanish Arch, the waterfront & the Claddagh, shops, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review following your stay here at The House Hotel. We hope you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in Galway – and what a great time you choose to visit!

Summertime is always fun and entertaining in Galway. I’m delighted to hear your lovely comments in relation to our reception team – customer service is always number one here at The House and we pride ourselves on our staff.

Yes, you’re right when you say “The Lobby is where the party starts” and I am delighted that you enjoyed the weekend atmosphere here in the hotel. We are a very popular local venue at the weekends for socialising also and it’s nice to receive such lovely feedback.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The House Hotel again in the near future.

Kindest,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

If you are driving to stay at this hotel,be warned..the parking arrangements are just not on. We arrived at the hotel, and were forced to drive around a one way system twice, as there was no where to pull in(on their website it states that they have a set down area at the enterence}If you pull in at this point,you are parked on double yellow lines and in danger of being struck by oncoming traffic.THERE IS NO SET DOWN AREA!!!so what do you do??? I was forced to park elsewhere in order to find out from reception where to park.I was then informed that the hotel had no parking of its own,but I could pay a daily rate at a multi story car park about 500 metre`s away??? so how do I get all my luggage into the hotel? You walk all the way back to the hotel with your five bags of luggage,and if you have a disabled person with you..just forget it.I decided at this point to cancel my booking as I felt extremely annoyed at not being made aware of this.The receptionist was rude and questioned me,stating that parking arrangements are stated in the automatic booking response letter, sent to me by email,I have since checked this and couldn't find any such thing.She also stated that I had stayed at this hotel two years previously, and should know about the parking situation.This is also untrue.She then wanted to charge me the full rate for cancelling at short notice...at this point I asked to speak to the manager.I found her nice to deal with and quite understanding ,she told me that there would be no charge and that the hotel is honest about its parking arrangement.This is just simply not the case and that is why I have chosen to write this review.I would like the manageress to address all the issues, for the record in her response to this bad review and please state if you have a proper set down as described on your website.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank barryands
Dear Mr. barryands,

The House Hotel has a set down area, located just outside the main door of the hotel, which suitably parks approximately 4 – 5 cars. As it is peak season at the moment this is usually quite busy and will at most times be full/ filling up. We try to manage this and allow guests to offload their luggage check in and then move their car around to the car park, located on Merchants Road.

Unfortunately in Galway most hotels don’t have their own private car park but we are very lucky to have an arrangement in place with Hynes Yard, a multi-story car park located down beside the hotel, offering our guests one of the cheapest 24 hour rates for car parking in Galway.

I have spoken to the lady that dealt with you on reception and her reaction was due to sheer shock than anything else and she in no way intended to be rude or question your complaint.

We have never before had a booking cancelled due to our car park and she was only outlining the company guidelines in relation to cancellation when she mentioned that cancelling your booking on such short notice would result in charging for the night’s stay.

I did speak to you after this however and agreed that as a gesture of good will we would not charge you and allowed you to depart at no expense.

I have taken your comments on board in relation to the confirmation letter outlining the car parking facilities offered and I certainly stand corrected on the information provided within it. I have since spoken with the company who manages our website to get this altered.

Best,
Cork
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on the 11th August last for one night. The hotel describs itself as a 'boutique hotel' and to be honest I am not sure what this actually means? We did not eat at the hotel so no comment on the food. The room was very expensive for one night.....for €18 more you can stay at the Merrion in Dublin! The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean but a little small. The bathroom was clean but the sink stopper didnt work....not what I would expect from a recently refurbished hotel claiming to be 4 star. It reminded me a little of a good Premier Inn, clean and functional but nothing special. At the prices for the room it represents poor value. It does not even have parking! You park in a local multistorey and pay €7 for one night. I wouldn't want to stay there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MOOCONN
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your stay here at The House Hotel.

We do appreciate your nice comments on our staff. It is an area we pride ourselves on and customer service is at all times is our number one priority.

City Centre car parking in Galway is unfortunately quite restrictive and most hotels don’t have their own private car park – however we are lucky enough to have a reduced rate agreement with Hynes Yard which is one of the cheapest overnight rates in Galway and thankfully within walking distance of the hotel.

We do appreciate your feedback on the rooms. As we are a city centre hotel we are quite limited on our room sizes and I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Manager in relation to both the nice comments on cleanliness, and also the sink stopper and I will ensure these are all checked.

We do hope that overall you enjoyed your trip to Galway, Summer is always a nice time to be in the city with so much going on.

Warmest regards,
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and would definitely recommend it.

It is short walk from Eyre Square/ train station and is beside Spanish Arch.

For this stay I was in Galway on business trip and arrived after 10am. I was able to leave my bag and because the business was close by I was able to come back and check in just after two as my room was ready (normal check in is 3pm). I was also able to leave my bag after checking out the next morning and pick it up later that evening.

All of the staff that I dealt with from booking the room, eating the restaurant/ bar and checking out were all friendly and helpful.

The hotel is bright and colourful - very boutique-y and girly.

The bedroom is ok size and had cute windows and cushions. The bathroom is small but I remembered that from past stays so didn't mind. If I was staying more than 1 night I would probably have upgraded to a room that had a bath.

The restaurant has a small enough menu but the food was very good. I didn't have dinner package but it was reasonable at 2 course for €20 and 3 course with glass of house wine for €30. The portions are large enough that I couldn't manage a 3rd course. I had the 'two mini plates' but I wouldn't call them mini - the two of them would probably be enough for two for a normal size starter.

Thank you House Hotel staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michelle_McW
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay here at The House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed it and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

We are delighted to have such a central location in Galway – everything is literally on your doorstep and you are within walking distance to all the main sights.

The upgrade to a deluxe room is a great idea for your next stay and always a nice treat if you are staying for a few nights and could enjoy a lovely bath.

Thank you for the kind comments in relation to the restaurant and I will be sure to pass them on to the Head Chef and also the restaurant staff.

Again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards,